“Great hotel, good downtown location, great staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #88 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great hotel, good downtown location, great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We shopped around and got a great rate for this hotel, but Hotel Indigo is still a value at the going rates. The historic building was carefully restored. Our room was clean and very nicely appointed. The pillows and bed were very comfortable. The staff was awesome from check-in to check-out -- probably the most friendly and attentive hotel staff we've encountered. The WiFi rocked and working in-room on my laptop wasn't a problem. Location is great -- kitty corner from The Alamo and well within walking distance to The Riverwalk. We absolutely love this hotel and would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

This Indigo has only been open for about a month and is in a historic building which used to house a bank/offices. The management, staff and valets were all very hardworking, sincere and helpful. The location is also great, it is basically across the street from the Alamo and a few blocks from the Riverwalk and Rivercenter Mall. The rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable. The attached restaurant (Phi) is also very good. I also used the fitness center and while small, had nice equipment.

A few of the downsides are that there were no fridges or microwaves in the rooms. So obviously no places to store drinks or heat up leftovers. Also, valet parking (which is the only option, no self park) was $25 per night, which is a little steep to park. On the other hand, the valets work hard and have your car out to you right away, even though the lot is four blocks away. Finally, the hotel does not have a pool, which was not a big deal to me though.

Overall, a very nice place to stay for a business trip or for a quick weekend getaway with the family. Beautiful hotel with new furnishings coupled with a classic charm with a location you can't beat and a staff wanting to please.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

This hotel opened around two months ago and is located at the North end of Alamo Plaza on the corner of Houston Street and N. Alamo. The hotel is located on top of the old Alamo fortification grounds. The northwest corner of the fortress walls are approximately in the hotel lobby of today. This is the location where William Barrett Travis is said to have met his fate as the final assault was launched by Santa Anna's troops. As you sit in the restaurant you can look out the windows to see the lines on Houston Street marking the inner and outer rings of the western wall. This property was subsequently owned by Samuel Maverick who was one of the last messengers out of the Alamo, and after whom maverick cattle became known due to his interesting stance on branding - He was the original "mavericky guy" so to speak.

This is an absolutely perfect location for downtown and the convention cetner/river walk area. It is a five to ten minute stroll to the convention center passing the Alamo and Rivercenter mall. The river walk up Houston Street is about five minutes and you have to pass Bohannon's Steak House as well as the Palm to get there. Superb beef is at your finger tips. Alternatively you can walk about five minutes to the River Walk at Paseo de Alamo. Perfect location.

The hotel has old world charm having been converted from the first high rise concrete building in SA. Table tops are made from orignal marble, the rooms have beautiful wood floors and are very well appointed with wide scree TV, wireless internet, and really first class shower facilities. The bedding is excellent and the A/C was more than adequate. My room had a nice view of Alamo Plaza and the mission as well as the old post office and custom house. In room workspace was spacious. Room service selections and hours were very good and excercise facilities were downstairs and were very complete. I enjoyed dinner in the first floor restaurant. The service was attentive, prices were reasoanable and the food was really surprisingly good for a hotel, or in general. The wine list had a good range of selections with Caymus on the upper end of the reds.

Check in was very efficient through my priority club program. Door people were excellent and attentive without smothering you. The service experience throughout the stay was really something you do not generally find in a three star rated venue. I would put in a par with venues in the 4 to 4.5 range and definitely better than some SA venues I have experienced with higher star ratings than this venue currently boasts. It is a competitive market and these people are making an effort, not resting on laurels. Valet parking was a snap and reasonably priced (for SA) and because you are on Alamo Plaza cabs are a dime a dozen. The mimum downtown fare is $5 which gets you to pretty much any conevention center area venue for that price.

This is a new venue and like any new property is dealing with its shake down cruise. Having said that, there was nothing about the visit or the venue in that regard that caused major heartburn. The lighting in the restaurant was a bit brighter than I would have preferred but staff mentioned that this was being addressed soon with some contemplated improvements. Signage is going to need improvement even though this is a boutique venue. Just remember that as you pass in front of the Alamo you will be there on the left when you get to Houston Street and the Post Office (which is huge).

Pricing was significantly better than many of the competing venues in the River Center area or furrther down Houston Street. I never got that feeling of a vacuum in my wallet at every turn like I have gotten in some other area venues. Given the truly excellent location, the ambience, and the superior service I would recomment this for any busness or convention travel plan.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

We travel using our Priority Club as much as possible. This hotel has a quaint old world charm, or London type feel to it. We have stayed at other Indigo’s in the past and we have always liked them. The valet staff was friendly when we arrived and we were ok with it. We didn’t have a delay but we used our bikes to get around the city after we arrived. The hotel has historic charm but the rooms were nice. The bed was comfy. I read about the AC noise but it wasn’t loud in our room. Maybe they addressed that issue or we just got lucky, but we didn’t have an issue with it.
Staff was great, gave us a history lesson at check in. Bar was good, had all the selections with normal downtown prices, nothing too fancy but nothing too expensive. We don’t travel to the same cities multiple times but when we come back we’ll stay here again. Really good location and easy to get in and out. Other Riverwalk hotels seem like they are hard to get to but this is right on a corner across from the Alamo. I think it was Houston Street. Anyway, check it out, it was a great choice for us.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

This is a historical building that has been converted to a Hotel. The location was great! Right across from the Alamo and less than a block to the River Walk. The building has a lot of charm and the service was top notch. I usually don't eat at the hotel restaurants as I always have dinner plans with someone. This time I did have dinner and a beer at the hotel restaurant and the food was great. I will be staying at the Indigo Alamo again and this time I am going to bring my family.

Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Wow...can you get any closer to the Alamo! This hotel was a historical building from what the staff told me and was beatifully renovated into this modern hotel with historical elements. Not often do you get to stay in such a unique hotel. Simply gorgeous and spacious rooms with public areas that you would expect of a 5 star hotel. Like all downtown hotels you have to valet park but the service is incredible and the rates are reasonable. Restaurant has great food and prices are suprisingly reasonable compared to what I would have expected. There are tons of restaurants in the area too though if you want to change it up one of the days you're there. All in all this is a great hotel which i wouldn't hesitate recommending to my friends and family.

DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

Started off on a VERY BAD note. I travel frequently and am a light sleeper, so have learned to ask for a room on a high floor away from the elevators. Made the request when booked on the hotel web site. Called the morning of check-in and repeated the request. Arrived tired from a day of traveling and was given a pre-assigned room on the lowest possible floor, street side, directly across from the elevator. After much discussion and being told there were no other rooms available, I was given one on the 7th floor away from the elevators. Bit confusing as it appeared there was only one other person staying on the same floor.

Wet used washcloth still hanging in the shower when I walked in - made me question the cleanliness of the room. Room was beautiful. Shower was spacious, but sink and counter felt cramped for one person - don't know how two would share. Due to negotiations for location, I guess I was in a "non-standard" room - but word to the wise, this king size room did NOT have a sleeper sofa as was advertised on the web site. Also, hotels.com advertised that the rooms had bathrobes and minifridges - wrong. Bed very comfortable.

AC is VERY LOUD. I liked the white noise - helped me sleep - but I can see how it would be annoying to some. AC went out one of the nights throughout the hotel, but was fixed when I returned from work the next afternoon.

Package rate included breakfast. Went down the first day - about 30 mins after scheduled opening. Cook came out and apologized as the wait staff had yet to show up. He didn't know where the menus were, but offered to make me whatever I wanted. By the last morning, the restaurant manager was visibly present and making people happy, so it looks like they're making an effort.

Tried using the fitness center. Lowceilings - felt like a dungeon. The cardio machines don't have individual TVs - three TVs are mounted on the walls. Tried to change the channel on the TV in front of me, and the other two turn on and change channels. Luckily no one else was working out. Didn't use it again.

Had a newspaper delivered to my door 2 of the 5 days I was there. They're at the front desk, so I'd pick one up there if the delivery failed.

Housekeeping restocked the single use coffee 3 of the 5 days I was there. Called the front desk when I returned in the evening and they promptly brought up coffee.

Shampoos/lotions only restocked once during the stay - they did have mouthwash which was a nice touch (had it been restocked more often).

Wi-Fi was flawless and free. Location is great.

Overall, beautiful hotel with so much potential, but management has a lot of work ahead of them before I'll stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo? Share your experiences!