“Beautiful hotel with lots of glitches” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #90 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
DC
“Beautiful hotel with lots of glitches”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

Started off on a VERY BAD note. I travel frequently and am a light sleeper, so have learned to ask for a room on a high floor away from the elevators. Made the request when booked on the hotel web site. Called the morning of check-in and repeated the request. Arrived tired from a day of traveling and was given a pre-assigned room on the lowest possible floor, street side, directly across from the elevator. After much discussion and being told there were no other rooms available, I was given one on the 7th floor away from the elevators. Bit confusing as it appeared there was only one other person staying on the same floor.

Wet used washcloth still hanging in the shower when I walked in - made me question the cleanliness of the room. Room was beautiful. Shower was spacious, but sink and counter felt cramped for one person - don't know how two would share. Due to negotiations for location, I guess I was in a "non-standard" room - but word to the wise, this king size room did NOT have a sleeper sofa as was advertised on the web site. Also, hotels.com advertised that the rooms had bathrobes and minifridges - wrong. Bed very comfortable.

AC is VERY LOUD. I liked the white noise - helped me sleep - but I can see how it would be annoying to some. AC went out one of the nights throughout the hotel, but was fixed when I returned from work the next afternoon.

Package rate included breakfast. Went down the first day - about 30 mins after scheduled opening. Cook came out and apologized as the wait staff had yet to show up. He didn't know where the menus were, but offered to make me whatever I wanted. By the last morning, the restaurant manager was visibly present and making people happy, so it looks like they're making an effort.

Tried using the fitness center. Lowceilings - felt like a dungeon. The cardio machines don't have individual TVs - three TVs are mounted on the walls. Tried to change the channel on the TV in front of me, and the other two turn on and change channels. Luckily no one else was working out. Didn't use it again.

Had a newspaper delivered to my door 2 of the 5 days I was there. They're at the front desk, so I'd pick one up there if the delivery failed.

Housekeeping restocked the single use coffee 3 of the 5 days I was there. Called the front desk when I returned in the evening and they promptly brought up coffee.

Shampoos/lotions only restocked once during the stay - they did have mouthwash which was a nice touch (had it been restocked more often).

Wi-Fi was flawless and free. Location is great.

Overall, beautiful hotel with so much potential, but management has a lot of work ahead of them before I'll stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

I will make this short and sweet- the AC makes a terrible noise in the room. I assumed it was an anomally and contacted the front desk. The maintenance man came. As soon as he walked in, used to the drill, he informed me that all the rooms did that. The noise sounds like the beeping when television used to go off the air at the end of the night. A loud ringing in your ears. It is now 6 am. I never really slept last night. The front desk acknowledged the problem this morning. Never offered to switch my room bc I guess the problem is universal. Do not stay here if sleeping is on your agenda.

• Stayed May 2010
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I guess I'm the first reviewer. My husband, one-year old and I were walking to our car after dinner on the Riverwalk with plans to drive a little further (toward home in Dallas) and stay at an inexpensive hotel north of the city. We stopped to chat with the valets outside this new gem who informed us the hotel had been only open a week. The baby was tired, we were right there and we thought, "why not?" The Gibbs Building is a former bank building and I love the way the restoration team kept true to the ambience of the marbled, business-like elegant interior. Rooms have blonde hardwood floors, and if you like your hotel rooms plush and fancy, this is not the decor for you. But I loved it: mission-style gorgeous furniture with simple but just right bedding, curtain and room fabrics and textures, a green velvet-type elegant chair and ottoman, flat-screen TV. The hotel does not have cribs (as of right now) but we easily set up our pack-and-play in a corner of the large-ish room. The bathroom was large and reminded me of an old-fashioned gentleman's shop, with, again, simple but elegant mission-style sink and fixtures, pretty tiled shower. The pillow-top mattress was fabulous and top of the line. Free wi-fi, friendly staff and valets. My two main "negatives" are that cars are parked in a "secured lot" which, upon further questioning, meant a gated lot that was open on one side and not manned after midnight. This wouldn't normally be an issue but we had bikes and a bike rack and a carful of vacation stuff, we left the bikes in the hotel's storage room and locked up the bike rack inside the car. The other issue is - IMPORTANT FOR NOISE-SENSITIVE FOLKS - I'm sure because of historic building compliance reasons, the A/C system is a bit difficult. There were four settings: Off, low fan, medium fan, high fan. It was plenty cool, but the problem is, even on low, the fan has a somewhat noisy rattle. Now, I am sensitive to noise, and I actually liked the noise it made, it reminded me of the pleasant hum of window units at grandma's house or the lake, and made a nice white noise for the baby. But I can see how some would find it really annoying. All in all, I would say I hope this new little hotel makes it, they deserve to, with the exquisite restoration, the friendliness and totally non-stuffiness of the staff and the value. And the location can't be beat, a block from the Alamo and Riverwalk, and a few blocks from the convention center areas. If you enjoy history or are looking for something with some charm different from your usual Marriott or Hyatt, check this one out.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo? Share your experiences!