“Slow Housekeeping” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #90 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Pueblo West, Colorado
“Slow Housekeeping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was an okay hotel. The room was clean upon arrival and the bed was comfortable. The location is absolutely ideal and all of the attractions we wanted to see were within walking distance (including the Alamo Trolley to go to other location). The housekeeping service was absolutely lethargic. The first day she arrived at our room after we returned for the day (approximately 5:00 pm) we let her clean, because we were leaving again, the second night the same thing...only a little later...we did not let her clean, however we requested clean towels. The hotel must be lacking a proper housekeeping staff...it is inexcusable to have someone want to clean the room near the end of the day, at their convenience. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and Stay Bridge Suites in Amarillo and they were much classier than this place. Last time we visited San Antonio we stayed at The St Anthony...they are in process of remodeling, so we stayed away.

We were diagonal from the Alamo, down the street from many attractions, and only a few blocks from the famed River Walk.

The restaurant on the first floor was also slow for breakfast...35 minutes to receive our order and we missed the Trolley we planned to get on (separate review), then had to wait 90 minutes for the next one.

Room Tip: Try and find a room on a floor where housekeeping hangs out.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Jim N,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about our historical Hotel Indigo Downtown-Alamo. We are happy to hear that you consider our location absolutely ideal and all of the attractions you wanted to see were within walking distance. As a matter of fact we are at such a convenient and fun location you don't need a car to enjoy all attractions, restaurants and shopping while staying at our hotel. I apologize about the slow housekeeping service, we will look into it and ensure this doesn't happen again. We look forward to enjoy the pleasure of your visit again soon!
Angela Alvarado - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Spicewood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed in about every hotel in and around downtown San Antonio and walked by this Hotel Indigo many times and thought it looked interesting so we gave it a try on an overnight stay.

Other reviewers have referred to this hotel as "historical" and "boutique". Of the two only "historical" is partially correct. First, because the hotel sits almost exactly on the northwest corner of the Alamo battle ground. In fact, there's a small brass marker in the sidewalk marking the location just north of the lobby door. Steps away to the east is where Colonel Travis died in the battle. Pretty historical for sure. Second, the hotel is a remodeled office building that was built in 1909. The original oak floors, hallway tile and marble wainscoting are all still in place. The rooms have been remodeled in a contemporary style around some of the original office features including the oak doors. As you might guess, all of these features make for an interesting atmosphere but with all the hard surfaces also make for a pretty noisy hotel.

Given that the rooms are renovated offices they are fairly well appointed but lack some features you will find in higher rated hotels. The flat screens are small and during our stay most of the channels were not available. The coffee makers could be upgraded and there are no room safes. The beds and showers are certainly on par with nicer hotels but the air conditioning fan in our room was the loudest of any stay I've ever had. I literally had to turn the system off to be able to sleep.

The staff was very friendly and parking in the lot to the north is $15 for overnight with no in and out privileges. There is no pool and the fitness center in the basement is sub-par. Ceiling tiles were falling out, free weights were missing and one treadmill was out of commission. More or less feels like an afterthought.

There are many, many choices for hotels within a two block radius of this location. I would give this hotel a 3 star rating so depending on rate it could be a decent choice.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Callmaniac,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about our historical Hotel Indigo Downtown-Alamo. I'm glad you took the time to find the many details that tell the amazing story of our hotel throughout the years. We have just upgraded our television channel selection by increasing the amount of HD channels available to include a variety of HBO channels,children's, sports, news and many others. Our fitness center machines are all working properly. The dry sauna is a popular favorite of many guests allowing a complete and healthy workout. We hope to have the pleasure of enjoying your visit once again.
Angela Alvarado - General Manager
Eagle WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband sent my friend and I down to San Antonio for a weekend get-a-way. The hotel was very clean and welcoming. Staff was extremely friendly. We arrived early and they had a room ready for us on the top floor over looking the Alamo. The rooms were amazing and the bed was one of the best that I slept in. We ate at the on-site Bistro for our two breakfasts. Service was great and food was good. The only issue we had was that the heater in the room made a very loud noise. We turned the heater off during the night and told management the next morning. They didn't seem to believe us as to how bad it was. We did video record the noise, so hopefully it will be fixed before the next guest arrives. Hotel was very close to River Walk area so we weren't bothered that it wasn't right on the river.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Freeport, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Boutique hotel across from the Alamo... literally. Old building that has nice rooms, adapted from spaces that are not always spacious. But old-San Antonio atmosphere, and rooms that have all of of the important features. Parking is a little sketchy... $15 to park ONE TIME/DAY; $25 for valet which feels unnecessarily exploitative... and they charged me for two cars/day until I questioned the bill. Otherwise, I was happy but not thrilled with my stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I booked our room through Hotwire, so the treatment we received may have been a result of that. But I'm not exaggerating when I say this was one of the most appalling hotel stays I've ever had.

First, the pros: The location is excellent, no doubt about that. The historic building is beautiful and they've fixed up the rooms in a cool, modern way. And the beds are super comfy.

Now, the cons:

* It's a pet-friendly hotel, and when we checked in there was white pet hair all over the bed and floor. My black suitcase and cardigan picked them up right away. My eyes started itching and I figured it must be cat, since I'm allergic. I asked the front desk staff to put fresh sheets on the bed and pay extra attention to the floors.

* The floors. They look like real hardwood, which is so much nicer than carpeting. But. Every time I walked around my room barefoot, the bottoms of my feet would be black inside of an hour. No joke.

* Those fresh sheets? They were laundered in some god-awful chemicals that gave me hives. Literally, hives. I took a Benadryl and four hours later, the hives had faded completely. This has never happened to me in my entire life. In fact, at first I thought it was something I'd eaten the previous day, but guess what? Happened all three nights.

* The first day that the cleaning staff "serviced" the room, Wanda left my dirty glass right where I'd left it. I thought it was odd but whatever. The second night, she left my dirty glass and my friend's dirty mug. I took them downstairs and said, "Hey, this is kind of gross." They agreed. But did they put fresh glasses in our room? Nope.

* One night we walked back to the hotel and asked the front desk to get the valet to bring our car. We headed upstairs to freshen up before our dinner reservation. When we came back down, the front desk person hadn't even told the valet we wanted the car. We ended up late for our reservation. Did I mention you pay $25/night for this service?

* Since we were checking out early on Sunday, we opted not to do valet parking, parking instead at the $10 lot next to the hotel. But we were charged for a third night anyway. They refunded me the $25 but it was annoying to have to do that to begin with, especially since we'd told the staff the night before that we didn't want the third night of valet.

* The smell. Oh, god, the smell. The attached bistro hasn't cleaned their grease traps in god knows how long. We were on the 8th floor and I could smell the old grease 24/7. Sometimes I could smell bacon and eggs, and that was nice. But it was mostly old grease.

I'd read the reviews on Hotwire before I booked that spoke of dirty floors, incompetent cleaning staff, and rude staffers (I didn't go there because I only had one rude front desk person and I didn't get her name). I thought those people were just picky clean freaks. They probably aren't. *I* am not a picky clean freak by any stretch of the word. But there is a certain standard of cleanliness and service you expect from a so-called 3-star hotel, and this isn't it. Trust me on that.

You can put all of the cute couches you want in the lobby, but if you don't have a good staff in place, it's just lipstick on the proverbial pig.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
IndigoAlamo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Zeisgeist,
Thank you for your time submitting a review for our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our location and hope you had a chance to discover all the great history and fun places around our hotel. I'm sorry you got the impression we would treat you any different due to the how you booked your room. As a pet friendly hotel we have stricter cleaning procedures and I apologize that apparently this was not the case in your room. As a full service hotel clean sheets and thorough room cleaning happens every day in every room. The chemicals used to launder our linens are hypoallergenic top of the line and from the recognized brand Ecolab. I am sorry for any difficulties you encountered with housekeeping and staff and assure you this is not the kind of service we are accustomed to providing. I will take the necessary steps to investigate and ensure we get to the bottom of the issues you describe. Again, thank you for bringing these to our attention and we hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve your needs in the future.
Angela Alvarado -General Manager
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Do not leave your car with the valet! They will steal it and take it for a joy ride. This happened to me in January 2014.

When we got the car back from the valet, wires sticking out from below the shift lever. The wires were not there the day before. I then moved the shift level and it was loose, would rotate round, and could be completely pulled off.

They said they would investigate. I have heard nothing from them. The manager’s attitude was that he believed he would find no fault on the part of the valet service.

I have since consulted a BMW dealer’s service mechanic. They say that shifting with too much force into 2nd or 4th gear, could pull the shifter handle off. They must have raced the car.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear MeHere6,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo? Share your experiences!