“Two great stays!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Lubbock, Texas, United States
“Two great stays!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel right after Christmas and had a great stay. We had a corner room which was big, and the price was fantastic! The organization I work with consequently booked a retreat here in mid-Janaury for about 15 staff. The meeting rooms are a good size although they are in the basement so we went upstairs for a bit of sunlight! The staff went above and beyond in all ways to meet our needs. We even had one of our group become ill during the trip, and the kitchen staff made her a special batch of chicken soup. The breakfast and lunches during our reteat were fresh and delicious! After the retreat I stayed for the weekend with my family joining me to spend the weekend in San Antonio celebrating my son's 13th birthday. I had mentioned this to the staff, and we were so very surprised to find a gift bag of goodies in our room for him along with a birthday card personally signed by many of the hotel staff. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger corner room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a Hotel Indigo in Scotland, and we did not find the San Antonio Alamo property to be of the same caliber. The location was excellent for access to the riverwalk and the Alamo, the staff was friendly, the rooms were nicely renovated and the price was reasonable. However, the rooms were tiny and the walls were thin so my quality of sleep was not great between guests making noise in the hall and traffic from outside. Also, our reservation got mixed up and we ended up with a Queen room instead of King. The staff informed us that there were no King rooms available. We were compensated with free drinks in the lounge, but I would have prefered the King room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Amanda G,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is very pleasing to know that you liked our location. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced over the noise and over the confusion on room assignments. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very small rooms at the Hotel Indigo at the Alamo in comparison to Hotel Contessa last year , despite being of a similar rate. Overnight stays are probably ok but not enough room if staying for 5 nights! No recognition for being a Priority Club Gold member (all other hotels I go to in the Holiday Inn chain upgrade me or give me a free drink at least. No laundry service available only dry cleaning. No safes in the room. At reception they had safety deposit boxes which could fit documents only not ipads let alone laptops.
No buffet breakfast available at the hotel and a la carte options only; making this an expensive option. Restaurant at hotel was in fact more of a ‘diner’ which had no door and specialising in deep fried food meant that the whole hotel constantly smelt. No separate bar in hotel therefore no meeting place for us and our customers in the hotel except the lobby or then we again had to endure smelling of fried food again. Service in hotel restaurant/diner was appalling. Frequently only 1 staff member working who became very aggressive when we tried to hurry her up to pay one day. Diner opening hours were not kept. We arrived one night at 5pm when they opened to be told to come back at 5.30pm as they had no staff to serve us (we went next door to the Emily Morgan who had no issues serving us a glass of wine!). We all had to request new pillows as the standard ones were so large we worried about bad necks. Cigarette bin in front of hotel was always overflowing and rarely emptied. I had to call maintenance twice to my room as the shower holder was broken, shower door had to open as it scraped along shower bottom, ants in room and front door failed to close on many occasions. Air conditioning was very noisy, despite turning it off; it always sounded on and sounded like someone was having a shower! One of our guests in our group on check in used a debit card to pre-authorise any extras. He complained to the hotel after finding his card had been blocked as they had taken the full payment for his accommodation despite saying it would be for extras only. Gym air conditioning was rarely on. Saddle on bike was not secured and fell off whilst I was on it. Luggage trolleys were left in front of the hotel door one night (the one we had to use to gain access to); making it very difficult for us to get in. Housekeeping was frequently late in cleaning rooms meaning sometimes we did not have their rooms cleaned as we would be back from the conference and needed them again. Key cards to the rooms expired on an almost daily basis despite us staying longer. Throughout the stay we were annoyed that the lifts go bong throughout the night and not just the day. Corridors being old office block are very echoey and you can hear people walking past all the time. A lot to do here and I would never stay here again sorry.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear anon19,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry about the overall dissatisfaction of your stay especially with the condition of the room accommodations and staff service that you received. I wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer.

Once again, thank you for your stay and leaving us a review.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Del Rio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at the Inidgo for a couple of nights and loved the historic feel to the hotel. The bar downstairs is worth a stop and you can't beat the location if you are are going to do things downtown.
The only parking option is the valet so if you can look for a public garage nearby ahead of time it could save you a few bucks.
You can litteraly see the Alamo from the front door of the hotel so a walk down to the riverwalk or the rivercenter mall is just a few minutes away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The rooms are on the small side when it comes to a family of four. Our room didn't have a bathtub (complaint of my wife), but really who takes a bath in a hotel! We laughed about the room being slightly larger than our cabin on a cruise. The bed was on the hard side. The rooms had updated furniture, but appears not to be maintaned by the maintenance staff.
Site has a really nice fitness room and a sauna. It was impressive compared to other hotels and I travel a lot.
Now to the 5 star rating, the staff are amazingly nice! Again, I travel a lot for work and fun. The staff were SOOOO nice! The location is perfect when it comes to the riverwalk and things around it. Right next to the Alamo and the riverwalk. Very nice location. McDonald's, Subway, Fudruckers withing walking distance. McDonalds consistant, Subway, go somewhere else for better value (we got cheated) and didn't try Fudruckers. There are a few cool mom and pop kinda places. Haggen- Daaz yummy close.
Valet staff were great and the hotel staff were fantastic. I would force the wife to stay there again, bath or not LOL. I really liked them especially when we had an issue with the billing and had a copy of our reservation (hint hint), they corrected the misbilling!

Room Tip: Facing the Alamo, higher the better
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I came for a half marathon and whenever I travel, I look at location and price. Located right across the street from the Alamo and within walking distance to restaurants, the River Walk and a good amount of other things. I'm a Priority Club Platinum member and they couldn't offer me a full upgrade from what I booked, but I ended up with a partial upgrade and free breakfast both mornings I was here (I'll take free food). The room itself was a tad small for me, but I was honestly just using it for a shower and to sleep. I didn't spend all that much time in it. Rooms are clean, but the building itself has been a host of things over the past 100 yrs, including office space. The hallways echo, so at night if people are loud, the halls make them louder. Staff was friendly, no problems at all. They will hold your bags for you if you have a large gap between check out and when you leave. The only time I went to the restaurant was breakfast that Saturday morning to use one of the free meals. The French Toast was good so there ya go...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Largo, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Location? From our room we had a view of the front of the Alamo and we were only a couple of blocks from the Riverwalk. What more could you ask for?

Good Value? Definitely.

Rooms? Clean, but small.

Ambiance? A little odd since it is a remodeled office building with marble hallways. These can loudly echo anyone’s talking late at night.

Parking? Only expensive valet. You can park for a 12-hour day in the adjacent lot for $10 and on the streets for free after 6pm.

Overall? Great choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo? Share your experiences!