“Good hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #95 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Chicago, Illinois
“Good hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Good place to stay in San Antonio - if I return I will definitely stay here again. All in all, I think this hotel exceeds expectations in the things I consider important (location, service, bed, cleanliness) and falls a little short in the things that are extras (restaurant, free internet).

The hotel is in a great location - virtually across the street from the Alamo and walking distance to every downtown attraction. I visited in the winter so walking was no problem, but the Alamo Dome would be a hike if it were summer time but I think that is true for any hotel in this area. I did not notice any street noise at all and found the whole hotel quiet and serene.

My room had a slight view of the Alamo which could have been greatly improved if the windows were not bolted shut. Great old building with very large nice (but dirty) windows that cannot be opened. No tub in my bathroom which might be a concern for some families but fine with me. Great bed, very very comfortable. Nicely refurbished wood floors and quirky items scattered throughout the hotel. Original doors for all the elevators in front of the new modern elevators, some machinery in the basement which I am guessing was for the original elevator and on my floor (5th) there was some kind of walk in safe with multiple smaller compartments inside.

The service was very good. Front desk staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I thought the valet was just a little slow, but nothing to complain about, I'd rather they are not in a hurry, zipping around downtown in cars they don't usually drive.

The free internet was a challenge, I was unable to connect all weekend. I could not get my IPad or my Android phone to connect. I spoke with another couple who both had Apple laptops who were also unable to connect. I even tried calling the support line (Time Warner) and they were no help. Fortunately, there is a business center with two computer for guest use that are both modern and fast. If you have to have internet access bring your own or have a back up plan.

Restaurant/Bar - It is acceptable but don't expect the food to be amazing and it is overpriced. Breakfast seemed a little better than dinner. My $10 hamburger seemed to come from a frozen patty. I would consider going elsewhere unless you really don't feel like leaving the hotel. The staff is good here, but they have a tough time keeping up when there is a rush.

Room Tip: The corner rooms looked bigger to me on the floor maps I saw. And anything on the corner by the Ala...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nites during New Years 2011. Room was comfortable, a bit smallest, but extremely neat & clean. Had great view for fireworks display on New Year's Eve from our room which overlooked the Alamo. Staff was friendly & helpful. Breakfast buffet was not up to par (cold eggs & potatoes) & was expensive ($30.00 for 2); but after making comment to front desk, they took it off our bill & was glad for the "constructive criticism". We had drinks in bar before going out for New Year's Eve dinner; bartender was friendly & engaging & served good drink. Hotel is convenient to Riverwalk & all downtown attractions. Dinner at Zinc's Wine Bar & Bistro ( about a 10 minute walk from hotel) was great & had a wonderful evening/dinner at Oro in the Emily Morgan Hotel on New Year's Eve (just a block away). Would recommend the Hotel Indigo at the Alamo & definitely stay here again.

PALESTINE, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Our party had booked three rooms for Dec 31st and Jan 1st. The staff was friendly and the room was nicely decorated. All three of our rooms were different sizes and they were rather small to say the least. Valet would take longer than expected pulling our vehicles. On the morning of Jan 1st we waited 30 minutes for our vehicle. We were on leisure so we did not care to much about the wait.

The bar inside the hotel is very nice. Patrick was our server for both nights we were there. He is a very friendly employee and was always coming by and making sure we had drinks and food.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Booked the Hotel Indigo (@ the Alamo), for one night in December. Came in for the Alamo Bowl, and wanted to avoid the high prices of the River walk.
Rate was good and location was ideal for the game and activities.
Hotel is catty-corner to the Alamo, and across the street from some horrible Ripley's Believe it or not museum! Very busy area, but we knew that going in.
Hotel lobby is small, and a bit confusing (two entrances), but staff was attentive and helpful. We arrived early, so room wasn’t available (no big deal). Came back at 3 pm, and room was ready to go.
We booked a king size, non-smoking suite, and were given room 324 (third floor corner, overlooking the Alamo). Room was large, with nice modern décor. Bed was really comfortable, which is always a big deal! Bathroom was large, but shower was a bit dirty (heavy soap build-up on the tiles and a little mold). Not a huge deal, but expected a bit more attention to detail.
Biggest complaint was the noise. Garbage trucks and street sweepers come very early, and it’s like they’re in the room with you. Not really the hotels fault, but they could maybe do more to add a little soundproofing.
Check out was quick and painless, and no issues with the valet parking (we booked a package that had the cost of valet included).
Value was good, and we’d definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Room 324 was HUGE and had a great view of the Alamo.
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights right before Christmas. We wanted a different experience from the giant chain hotels and we got it. The location was outstanding, right across the street from the Alamo and about 3 blocks from the Visitor Center. Safe area with easy access to the Riverwalk. Not many people staying in the hotel. The staff was very friendly and accomodating adding to the quality of our stay. Room and bath were small, but very clean and updated. Our bed was very comfortable. The old wood floors were beautiful.
The top floor room AC/Heat was noisy as were pipes in the ceiling wall. We moved to the fifth floor the last night and it was better. The staff sincerely wanted to make us happy. We had the free breakfast package and once again the staff was wonderful. Breakfast choices are limited, but sufficient. The coffee was very good.
Thanks to Holly, Leah, Cruz, Patrick, David, the valet guys and the rest of the Indigo staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room known to have a quiet AC.
Jourdanton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I had reservations for our anniversary in June. I called the hotel to see if they could recommend any massage therapists that would come in house.The desk clerk did not, but said he would make a few phone calls and get back to me by the end of the evening. He called 10 minutes later with information, volunteered to make the appointment for me and upgraded us to a more accommodating room for a nominal fee.
We were presented with 2 drink vouchers for our anniversary upon check in, and were constantly greeted and pampered throughout our stay.
Great location, very near riverwalk access and just a few blocks from the Majestic Theatre and Bohanan's restaurant. Walked everywhere!
Clean, cool decor, and the friendliest, most accommodating staff we have ever encountered.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

I stayed here for a conference at the convention center which is only a few blocks away (please do note that even a 5 block walk in the San Antonio summer wearing a suit can be painful - not the hotel's fault though).

The location is wonderful. I could see the Alamo out of my window and was able to use my downtime between meetings and the conference to see both The Alamo and The Riverwalk. The hotel is in a historic building which has been beautifully preserved.

I rarely have such a memorable experience that a certain staff member remains in my mind for months but Mike, the bar man, is just brilliant. His ginger pear martini made with corn vodka from Minnesota is amazing and he is extremely friendly. The rest of the staff is similarly caring and helpful.

Furthermore, the rates are extremely reasonable. I would stay here again on business or for pleasure in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo? Share your experiences!