“AWESOME HOTEL!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“AWESOME HOTEL!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

I was quite surprised with my stay at the Comfort Suites! From the moment I walked throught the door, I was greatly by 2 very friendly staff members. We were looking to hang out that night and was given Hot Spots where we could go. The room itself was nice, cozy and very clean. The TV was a plasma and very nice. The cable sucked but we were hardly in the room. It was very quiet while we were there and 2 soccer teams were in the building. I can't forget about the free breakfast. There was any meat but it beats having to pay for breakfast. I would definitley stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

622 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Spokane, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I would like to add a comment to our review that we all made together. We had a great time and Sherry made our stay wonderful. As far as the hotel being a little ways from Riverwalk we took the Trolley for $1.10 when we went most places. We met it on the street infront of the large parking lot. It came by every twenty minutes. It went by many of the attractions and the drivers were very helpful. Our experience was excellent.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

We were impressed with the staff and owner of the Comfort Suites/Alamo/Riverwalk Hotel. We are five sisters from five different states that arrived on October 15, 2009, for a reunion. When we arrived, the staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, and imformative as far as given us information on attractions to see and restaurants. We were in the lobby and asked directions to a restaurant and Sherry Chaudhry said "Come with me and I will give you a ride to the restaurant." When we got in the car she gave us a quick tour of the city along with names of places to see and restaurants to dine. Sherry and staff have made this reunion one we will never forget.

• Stayed October 2009
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

Our stay at the Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk Hotel was delightful. The hotel is beautiful with a rich southwest decor. Ray, the front desk clerk was very nice and helpful as well as all the staff. The hotel is located within in walking distance of the Riverwalk, the Alamo, the Imax, and the Tower of the Americas. Parking is available right outside the front doors. We especially enjoyed the hot tub, pool, hot breakfast, and the comfy bed. This hotel gave us a tast of luxury at an affordable price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I booked this hotel under the impression that it was much closer to the Riverwalk than it was, based on the description on the travel site I used. The rate was decent , so I was happy.

We arrived at the hotel and found it to be very nice on the outside and the rooms are very large and were clean. Beds very comfortable and a decent size modern flat screen tv, with a DVD player. Nice room.

The staff was friendly enough too.

The downside: the hotel is just across I-37 and you have to walk under the overpass and cross a couple of wide and busy streets to get near the Riverwalk. It is a 15 or 20 minute walk easy. Walking back in the dark with my 9 year old was a bit scary. There is a short cut from under the overpass to the hotel via a gate, but the gate closed at 10p. So then, you have to walk the long way to the hotel and the streets are dark and desolate. I don't think I would stay there again for this reason. There were some shady looking people walking around and it didn't feel safe. There's just nothing going on over there by those hotels and so it feels deserted at night.

Great place probably if you are traveling with adults. Or you could drive to the Riverwalk and pay to park closer, or take a taxi of course. But I say spend a few more bucks to be closer to the River and feel safe!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed at the hotel in August with husband, wife and 3 small kids (6,4,2). Below is a list of PRO's and CON's for the hotel.

PRO's...
1) beautiful hotel...not what you would expect from Comfort Suites. It is very new, very well decorated (old world style). We were very surprised at the detail of the hotel.

2) Rooms...all rooms are "suites", but don't be fooled, they are basicall larger than normal hotel rooms with a sitting area (although they are quite spacious). There is no wall nor door that divides the sitting area (with pull out sofa bed) from the beds. There is only one t.v. (this is a CON), but it is viewable from both areas (sitting and beds). Bathroom is nice, not large, but definitely not too small. Small empty refridgeraor, coffee maker, etc. There is no kitchen space. Beds were quite comfortable and room is large. Very, very clean and well kept. When you are in the room, you would never guess it is a Comfort Suite.

3) Service at front desk (and housekeeping) was very kind. Ray (manager or assistant mger) and Melissa were very kind. Upon check in, I noticed that there was a $10 parking fee...I explained to him that I though if you were able to park in front of the hotel that parking was free, it was only if you had to park under the freeway that costs....He informed me that it is now $10 for all parking...but, he gave me the parking pass for free because of the misunderstanding.

4) Pool area...while small and next to a large wall (see pictures) the area is very tastefully done. Good sitting area, nice pool and hot tub. The kids loved the small putting green too... a nice little extra touch.

5) Breakfast...food was good and they did a good job of keeping enough of it out. We were there on a Sat and Sun morning so the crowd was terrible (more on that in the Con section), but the quality of food was good. Place was clean and the workers worked hard.

6) Value...I think the going rage was around $130 per night...this is a great value in my opinion.

CON's....
1) Location...this hotel is located RIGHT NEXT to an elevated major highway (and when I say right next to it, that is what I mean). Surroundings are run down, beat up and do not give you a nice, safe feeling (although, we never felt unsafe at the hotel). It is NOT on the Riverwalk...it is a good 4-5 long city blocks walk under the freeway to the Riverwalk. Don't be fooled by the description in the title. It is easy to get there, but it is not located on it. The view from any window will be a disappointment - the surrounding area is pretty poor. It is located right next to a Red Roof Inn on one side and an empty 1 or 2 story building on the other.

2) While the food was good and the service personell worked hard...they just couldn't keep up with the animals eating their free breakfast. The sitting area, while beautiful, was too small for the crowds (we had to hang around and wait for a table both mornings). Breakfast was a chore and not enjoyable at all. Now, we did not get downstairs until after 9:00am each day (and they close it PROMPTLY at 10:00am)....so, we and all others were in a rush to finish and get all our food by 10am. I would highly encourage you to get up and get your breakfast early to avoid the madness.

Neither PRO or CON...just statements...

In regard to the parking...this is not the negative issue that some have made it to be at all. While the parking lot is under the elevated freeway noted above, it is very close to the hotel and well lit. Although, I did notice signs everywhere "Not responsible for damage or theft to vehicles." I never felt threatened or uneasy about leaving my car (Escalade ESV) in the parking lot.

As for the value of the hotel...one thing the value creates is a wider array of customers (if you know what I mean)...there were all walks of life at the hotel of all races, young and old. There were many small kids (my family included).

There is a small business center with 4 public computers that are almost always occupied by youngsters playing on MySpace and Facebook...but, they do offer wireless service throughout the hotel.

Next to the check in desk is a small area with cold drinks, pizza pockets, pot pies (microwaveable items) along with chips, candy, etc...not really enough to feed a family, but a great snack bar.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay. I personally, would rather pay more and be in a better location...but for the value...this place can not be beat. We would happily refer this hotel to friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Georgetown, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and two teens (13 and 14) stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in late June during our visit to San Antonio. Initially the price of hotels in S.A. shocked me so I was thrilled when I found this hotel.

Very easy to get to off #37. Just took the exit for the Alamo, turned left and left on Live Oak. The hotel had a sign on the corner which made it easy to locate. You could easily spot the hotel from the highway.

Easy check in and as requested, we received a room at the end of the hallway away from the elevators. Spacious room with a pull out couch and coffee table at one end, a partial 'wall' and two queen beds. Great with 2 teens as they took a bed and the couch. Although the hotel is next to the highway, we could not hear the traffic at all. A/C also worked great.

The hotel itself is built in a Spanish style and is very nice. Open 2 storey lobby, nice breakfast area with a selection of coffee, juices, cereals, waffles, pastries and bagels, yogourt, and fruit.

Another plus was the pool/spa area outside with a covered and uncovered seating area, loungers etc. Many people were using it in the evening as it was very hot the week we were there. We enjoyed taking a few drinks down and lounging by the pool. Husband also enjoyed the fitness centre both mornings.

The hotel was in easy walking distance to the Alamo and Riverwalk. Even the 2 teens didn't complain about the walk! We can also recommend Rosarios if you're in the mood for Mexican - about a 15 min. walk south on South Alamo at the corner of Maria.

If we are back in S.A. we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk? Share your experiences!