“This is not your ordinary car wash/restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 4,136 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Hamburgers, Bar, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Restaurant, serving SOL food. Sustainable, Organic, Local. Texas Beer Garden, with over 50 Texas beers on-tap. Live Music venue, featuring local and traveling performers from every genre, and oh yeah, a Laundromat and carwash. The Cove is all about having a good time and enjoying great food with friends and family. We have a play scape, ping-pong tables, and a basketball backboard for kids of all ages, and a dog run for your four-legged friends. Come find out why this is the place to be in San Antonio!
Chicago vicinity
“This is not your ordinary car wash/restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I already knew from the DDD episode that The Cove was a car wash/restaurant. I didn't know about the huge picnic area/outdoor stage/bar behind the restaurant, or at least I didn't realized that their back yard was like a small park. We visited during an off hour so nothing was going on, no crowds, no music, a tad chilly for sitting outside. But I can see how it'd be a fun place to be when they have live music. My wife and I split an order of fish tacos and a spinachy salad (I forgot the name). Good food, just the right amount of heat on the tacos with the spicy poblano sauce. I saw a lot of other menu items I'd like to try, so The Cove will be on my list of San Antonio restaurants requiring a repeat visit on our next trip there.

• Visited November 2013

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Quality food, fast-food style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Don't be fooled by the look of this place, or the picnic tables to eat at. The fish and shrimp tacos I had here were amazing - a decent amount of fish beautifully seasoned in a soft taco, with side salad. (the salad could have been larger, but it was delicious).

The place is clearly well-known and popular, as it was packed on the Saturday evening we came. We didn't have much problem getting a table. We came with several families with small children, who enjoyed the play park in the centre of the restaurant. The play park was well equipped but a little overrun with the number of people there when we visited - it definitely required parental supervision. A fun evening out!

Temple, Texas, Usa
“Okay Food, good atmosphere, great band playing!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The atmosphere was nice, but nothing really special. The band that was playing was great (Ashley Rose, I believe). The food was okay at best, I have the opportunity to each around the country and can honestly say I would not go back for the food quality or quantity. The menu is unique, but nothing we had was unique in the taste or quality.
I was with my wife and kids, which may have been the problem. I think this is much more of a 20 something hang out where drink quality is primary and food quality is secondary. They do have a nice play area for the kids, but seem more like a place to distract the kids while the adults enjoy beverages versus a family friendly place to go visit.
I also found it odd that for a organic, enviromentally aware type establishment they did not focus on water conservation in the restroom. SA is in such a drought, but the mens room had a setup that water ran coninually. Seems like such a waste when water is in such shortage.

I give it a:

• 3 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Live music, beer, good food, reasonable prices, dog-friendly and everything else probably already mentioned.

I love that there's a great selection of vegetarian-friendly food and the people here are very friendly. The only downside is that it can get crowded when there is live music inside sometimes, but that can be a good sign in itself.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tionesta, Pennsylvania
“where the locals eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Cove was recommended to us by several people as they say this is "where the locals eat". Fish tacos are one of their specialties and my brother said they were the BeSt sweet potato fries he has ever had!