“Good choice but not spectacular” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown

You added Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   432 West Market Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
15% Off a 3-Night Stay
Ranked #36 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
PA
“Good choice but not spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

This is the 1st time I stayed in a Homewood Suites but as a Hilton Honors member have stayed in a lot of Hilton properties. The property presents a mixed appearance - some areas are very nice while others warrant improvement. For example, the lobby/eating area is very spacious, great view of the river but why is the carpet unfinished/ragged at the edge where it meets the windows overlooking the river - looks real shabby. The breakfast/evening light dinner staff could be more cordial (e.g greeting guests) as I've come to expect at other Hilton properties plus they did not consistently clean the floor around the tables leaving food/crumbs behind. Again, not what I see at other Hilton properties.

Keep in mind this is an old building restored so it will not have that look & feel of a newer facility. Neverthless, one shouldn't have to wait 5+ minutes for hot water in the sink/shower which at times never gets hot, a toilet that runs off and on, a room that despite being a non smoking room has a distinct, lingering smoke smell, a closet door that doesn't slide and no flat screen TVs. Always hate having to pay for parking and whenever you need to retrieve something from your car (parked blocks away), you need to wait plus tip the driver each time. I try to avoid Hilton properties that charge for parking whenever I can.

To be fair, the property has it good points:
- great location to everything downtown including the riverwalk
- light dinner that saves you $
- spacious suites with a ceiling fan in the bedroom which we love
- convenient, free Wi-Fi
- nice fitness area
- convenient guest laundry

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
sanantoniogm, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
The Woodlands, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel room was AMAZING! The bed... slept like a baby! I was disappointed in my view, but wasn't really looking out the window that much. The valet parking was $23 bucks, so be prepaid! I was totally glad though that I did not have to pay in cash.

Decent location. I normally stay on the riverwalk, so this was a little different having to walk to find the riverwalk and places to eat. If you stay on the street it was a lot easier to get from place to place!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Platte City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was blown away by the service I received starting the moment I stepped in the door. I was there for only a few days but I found it to be one of the best stays at any hotel I've had. The Check-in process was normal, they told me where to find everything in the hotel and what time breast and their reception was. The room was spacious and spotless. I had no complaints about the room besides the closet door didn't close for some reason, but it didn't bother me. Iw as able to use the kitchenette in the room and it was great. I did not use the free internet so I cannot review that portion. I did use the business center and found it to be perfect for me. I went down there 3 times or so and I was the only one in there each time. The center was clean and quiet. The breakfast and reception were both fantastic. I would definately stay again at this hotel. The view from the sitting area near the front desk had a great view of the riverwalk. This hotel is on the Riverwalk and only about a 15 minute walk to just about any of the attractions nearby (which I took advantage of!) The staff was fantastic! They were some of the friendliest I've come across. I loved the stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

Hotel is located alongside the riverwalk and all the main attractions are in easy walking distance (the alamo is around 20 minutes away on foot). Rooms are very spacious with a small living / kitchen area. The buffet breakfast in the morning is plentiful and on most evenings there is also a free small evening buffet although given the wide range of restaurant choices we didn't actually make use of it.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, On
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel Thanksgiving week. For the last ten years, this is the only hotel we stay at in San Antonio. Previously we stayed at the Emily Morgan, Marriott, etc. but found this is the best deal on the River for living space and convenience. Though many hotels claim they are "suites", they merely stick a sofa in front of your bed and add a bar sized fridge and microwave. Homewood Suites actually has two rooms, complete with door and a full kitchenette with dishwasher, two burner electric stove and full sized refrigerator (a few rooms do have bar refrigerators). Though we saw lots of airline personnel during the week, this is definately a family hotel on the weekends and holidays. There is nothing to prevent you from going downstais, even in the thick of the morning kiddie rush and bringing coffee, juice and even a plate of breakfast up to your room to avoid the crush. All rooms have tables and chairs. We always put the morning dishes in the dishwasher (housekeeping will turn it on) and returned washed dishes the next morning. Even if you only get breakfast the odd morning and dinner (from the evening reception) the odd night, it is very handy, especially if you are tired from extended sight seeing. They are slow to clean existing rooms on Sunday as that is the biggest checkout day. I fully support cleaning enough rooms for that day's anticipated check-ins, but after that, those patrons actually still on site should get cleaned before remaining empty rooms. Also, we did have on elevator failure on a busy family morning, but it was fixed in a couple of hours and might be due to the number of people in the elevator itself? Still, our wait on the one elevator was only a a few minutes. Staff are extremely helpful and pleasant, cleaning was good and location (midway between the Mercado and the Alamo) perfect.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Mount Vernon, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

The suite was spacious, well maintained and very clean. Our housekeeper Imelda did an outstanding job and took very good care of us. The beds were comfortable and there was plenty of privacy for everyone. The hotel staff was helpful in everyway and very friendly. The breakfast and receptions were very good and there was always plenty to eat or drink. Overall it was a very wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Just back from San Antonio (October 14 to 19, 2010) with my wife and 3 months old baby

Pros;
Spacious rooms. Great if you travel with family
Great location
No problem with breakfast.
You can make a free dinner with the happy hour during the week.

Cons
Don’t bother to call in advance for especial request. They don’t care. Since we were landing at 10 pm, I called 3 weeks in advance to request a crib and as a HHonors member water in the room. Nothing was in the room. I called and they sent the crib. I had to go down for the water. At the end going to bed at midnight (1am et).
Front desk staff looked indifferent to my concerns.
HORRIBLE cleaning. Date of arrival we found foot prints on the bathroom, we cleaned them with a towel. Left the room on Sunday at 10;30 am back at 5;30 the room was not clean. I called and the excuse was that when the maid passed through my door I had the “do not disturb” (before 10;30 am) and she did not check again. Usually, if I leave the room late I stop by front desk to communicate that the room is available to clean but is Sunday at 10;30 late??????? I don’t think so. Next day I stopped by at the front desk to ask for a good cleaning based on what happened the previous day, when back, 2 trash bag not emptied, table had the same food stains that before ……. So practically they vacuum and set the bed and perhaps wash the floors in the bathroom.

So if you are concern about cleaning (I’m not) this is not your hotel. They did not change the sheets in all stay, but no problem with us, we don't do it at home either.
Would I come back here? I don’t know 50/50, but If so, I’d clean myself the bathroom and wash dishes before using them.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
sanantoniogm, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
We are very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. It is our goal to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown? Share your experiences!