“A very nice relaxing stay” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 Navarro Street, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #65 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“A very nice relaxing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

I thought the Hotel Havana was very nice. The staff was personable and seemed to care about what they were doing. The room was large with high ceilings. Great king-sized bed. Nice bathroom products. The whole experience was charming. I was there early in the week so there weren't a lot of other guests - so my stay was quiet. I enjoyed the bar and also relaxing on the various decks and balconies. It's not in the River Walk area but I consider that a plus. I walked to and from the Convention Center several times. It's also a short and affordable cab ride. Special thanks to Orlando for making our stay so enjoyable. Overall, I found the Hotel Havana to be neat, interesting, different (in a good way), and a good value. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

First I need to say that the staff was very nice, very helpful, and very accommodating. The hotel is a beautifully restored building. It seemed to me that no expense was spared when getting this hotel online, except for our bed. The bed in room 22 had a depression that was approximately 6-8 inches deep. This resulted in two days of back pain. The main reason we didn't get much sleep was because of the drunken and/or inconsiderate hotel guests or bar patrons that should never be allowed to sit on the 2nd story balcony right next to our 2nd room(we had to switch rooms because of the bed). There is a problem when you have to call the front desk @ 1:30 am the second night and 2:30 am and 3:30 am the next night. Are you kidding me? 139.00 plus tax per night and the room wasn't even soundproofed, we heard every car and definitely every bus that went by. We later learned that the Queen rooms were soundproofed but the King rooms weren't yet....but soon...how comforting. I don't need to be a world traveler to know that you don't treat you overpaying guests like that. Oh by the way get rid of the ridiculously priced pretentious snacks and refreshments and put a coffee maker and microwave in the rooms instead.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

OK, we all lnow how one's customer service experience can often make the biggest impression on how much you enjoy a hotel stay. And how many have you have ever stayed at a hotel where the actions/attitude of one or a few individuals just totally ruins your experience at a hotel - well the latter was our experience at the Hotel Havana.
First my background - my wife and I currently live in Austin and we are very familiar with Liz Lambert's two hotels here. I also travel quite extensively throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia.
IMO, the Hotel Havana is trying to differentiate itself from the hotel competition in San Antonio, which quite frankly is easy to do. Aren't many SA hotels going for the shabby chic minimalist look.
Hotel staff as mentioned by other reviewers are personable and professional. We liked that the hotel location is removed from the Riverwalk "action" ( full disclosure - not a fan of the downtown Riverwalk area).

Now for the big thumbs down: early Friday night around 9:30PM, my wife and I walk into the downstairs Hotel Havana bar. The place is small and all 4 seats at the bar are occupied as are most of the couches and loungers. There are a few unoccupied single chairs that do not look very comfortable and we also see a grouping of 8 lounger chairs and sofas unoccupied and decide to sit down amongst them. We notice the ubiquitous "reserved" sign on one of the tables. Immediatley one of the waitresses walks up to us and the first words out of her mouth is that these seats are reserved and we "have to leave". I calmly asked her if she knew when her "guests" were scheduled to arrive. She did not know but said that the seats were reserved for a large group (!) and we "could not sit there". I responded that we were paying guests in the hotel, we only wanted one glass of wine and if in fact the "reservees" were to appear while we still had unfinished wine in our glass, that we would graciously step away and finish our wine elsewhere in the bar. This was quickly rejected by our unfriendly waitress as heresy and with a "you will have to speak to the manager".
5 minutes passed by, no manager and no wine. I walked up to the bar, same unfriendly and unapolgetic waitress and order 2 glasses of wine from her. Watched carefully to ensure only wine was poured into the glasses. I walked back to the "reserved" seats with the glasses of wine and within seconds we are confronted with "I am the manager, you CAN'T sit here and you HAVE to leave". I again mentioned that I was guest at the hotel and reiterated my proposal - sit here, enjoy my wine and leave the moment his reservees show up. This was summarily rejected by said manager - I could have been demanding an increase in state income taxes as far as he was concerned. Now, I have enjoyed a cocktail or two at several LA, NY, Las Vegas, Miami better drinking establishments, so I am familiar with "bar attitude" but I really had my doubts that JayZ and Beyonce were about to walk into Hotel Havana ordering cases of Crystal.
The manager was extremely demanding that we vacate the reserved seats immediately. Admittedly it devolved into a confrontational discussion and we eventually decided to move seats. Clearly this manager had not passed "Avoiding Confrontational Customer Interactions" 101 courses at Bar Management School.
We took 15 minutes to finish our wine and left. And.....those reserved seats.....still unoccupied as we walked out.

Not to worry Mr. Bar Manager......we won't add any wear and tear to your precious bar furniture in the future.

So to the Bar Manager and bar staff at the Havana bar.....a big thumbs down and a recommendation to read a classic book "How to Win Friends and Influence People".....and if you want to play pretend we're an LA/NY/Miami bar......first you have to wear black and try to find some remotely justifiable reason to cop an attitude.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed here and had a great time! I have to give props to all the staff, especially Orlando, who gave us some great suggestions on where to go, etc. He found out that I work in a hotel in Houston and went out of his way to make us feel at home. He even got us some really great coffee the morning of our departure.... And he was like this with every guest I saw him interact with, as did all the staff (I'm really sorry I didn't get all of their names). But all in all, the stay was great, and everyone from Orlando to the bartender get a gold star for service. By the way, our room was super clean, and had awesome amenities (Red Flower soaps, big gold star!). I would recommend this to anyone, and already have. It was very Liz!

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We were in San Antonio to attend the wedding of two friends and we chose the hotel because of its history and eclectic charms. The staff was wonderful from check-in to check-out. We loved the Liz Lambert design of the hotel and the Smeg fridges in each room. We stayed in room 22 and we were told it was haunted. We didn't see the man who supposedly tips his hat.

The entrance to the riverwalk is right across the street. We enjoyed the bar in the basement at the beginning of our evenings.

If you stay you must order breakfast. It comes in a basket: fresh pan dulce, cuban coffee, fresh fruit, juice and a newspaper. The fridge is stocked with all kinds of unique goodies and we wanted to try everything.

The hotel does not have a pool but they do have an agreement with another hotel for use of their pool and will get you there. We normally don't go to San Antonio to sit by a pool though.

This hotel is for friends and couples of all ages but not for families with children.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

This hotel was quiet and had an old world cuban charm. VERY clean and fantastic amenities. The staff was helpful and pleasant to deal with. We saw some of the comparable hotels closer to the Alamo and we both agreed we were glad we booked at the Havana. It is an easy walk to the downtown/Alamo area and MUCh quieter. Great coffee and plenty of veranda space to enjoy it. We would definately recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a romantic getaway like we did!!

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

The hotel was lovely and the Cuban theme is carried throughout. beautiful wood floors. It was a bit of a hike to the convention center but we loved getting the excercise. It is on a very lovely parrt of the riverwalk but remote from the "happening" area. Again, something we did not mind. Walking to and from the convention area on the riverwalk was further and longer than using the streets - based on your schedule. The bed was very comfortable as was the entire room. The bath mirror and lighting was not great and noise traveled from the hallway but none ever disturbed us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Havana? Share your experiences!