“Nice hotel with good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1st Night's Parking On Us
Ranked #34 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Helsinki, Finland
“Nice hotel with good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Very nice hotel with good location at the river. Easy walking distance to Alamo. Restaurant is very recommendable and breakfast was excellent. Breakfast menu had lots of appealing alternatives. Only negative was that our room was not as clean as we would have expected.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I booked a room in this hotel for five nights towards the end of September. It's a really cute little place and my attic room (35) was adorable - quite small, but very well furnished and with lots of nice touches throughout that give it a really unique atmosphere. The staff at the front desk were great, especially letting me check in early after a long drive up from Corpus Christi.

I do have a few small nitpicks: the room is reasonably priced (I booked through Expedia and got a discount because I was staying more than three nights), but there are a LOT of extra charges. You'll pay about $15 per night for self parking, there's no complimentary breakfast and the cheaper items on the room service menu are pushing $10. If you do order from room service, you'll also have a long wait for your meal. I found it easier to make a trip to a supermarket and stock up on food than to try to get anything in the hotel. As well as this, there is currently a massive construction project going on about 100 yards up the road and they did start work at about 6.30am every morning. Good luck if you want a lie in!

In terms of location, the hotel is less than a ten minute walk from downtown and the Alamo. However, it is situated at a point where the neighbourhood feels like it might be beginning to deteriorate - it's literally just outside the limits of the touristy part of the city. As a woman travelling alone, I felt confident enough to walk around there during the day, but I wasn't entirely comfortable with the thought of being out there by myself after dark.

For drivers, San Antonio is a massive pain to navigate because the whole of the downtown area is a one way system covered with roadworks. When you do eventually reach the hotel, it's quite easy to spot and has a reasonably large car park. However, you will have to pay to use it - I'm not entirely sure what the charge is for as it's self parking, but it'll automatically go on your bill and if you're there for a few night it soon adds up.

In summary, I did like this hotel and would definitely consider staying there again. I was just a little off put by the amount of money it cost for anything beyond a basic room.

Good points: quirky, within walking distance of downtown.

Bad points: expensive, paying for parking.

Room Tip: The attic rooms get very cold at night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I love this hotel. We booked because I just could not do one more predictable hotel with marble counters and free lattes in the lobby. Don't get me wrong, that's often a great experience and I like it when I don't need any surprises. HH is an anomaly. We arrived late, and enjoyed a fantastic dinner at Ocho, the hotel restaurant that is more bar and restaurant than hotel establishment. The drinks were on the hotel, the dinner was inventive and delicious. I fell into crisp sheets after a hot shower with plenty of the yummy hotel soap. Breakfast the next day in the hotel again. No one really helped us unless we asked. I liked that. But as others have noted, you have to want to be left alone in a funky, clean, quiet place with great food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I don't mean this in a negative way at all, but the Hotel Havana is not for everyone. If you want a predictable, cookie-cutter hotel with lots of amenities, you have plenty of other choices in San Antonio.

I chose this hotel based on reviews, and I'm glad I did. After nearly a week of staying in a chain hotel in the center of Austin, Hotel Havana was a delightful respite upon our arrival in San Antonio. It was easy to find, and it's just across the street from the Riverwalk.

Our room had a very high queen bed. I'm 5' 2", and I'll admit to having to put a little effort into getting into it. It was very comfortable! The bathroom had plenty of space and very high quality Red Flower products. Had I known at the time how luxurious Red Flower is, I would've taken another shower! Although we didn't use them, robes were provided.

The very cool SMEG fridge is equipped with all sorts of snacks and libations. Again, we didn't partake, as we had plenty to eat and drink in our short time there.

The porch was wonderful. It was so nice to sit and relax in wicker chairs and watch the world go by. I really felt transported to another time and place.

We had a later (9:30) dinner at Ocho and a fabulous breakfast there the next morning. Portions are generous. We also had a drink in the bar, and it is not to be missed!

Staff was very helpful and friendly. The onsite parking, while a little pricey, is definitely worth it for the convenience. WiFi was fast and free.

Do not stay here if you like ultra-modern furnishings; if the creaks and quirks of older buildings irritate you; if you want to be completely anonymous...

As for me, I can't wait to have a reason to go back again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in room 16, a queen suite on the first floor. 4 years earlier stayed in a regular room upstairs. This is a really nice relaxing hotel. It is on a quiet location on a branch of the River Walk. If you want a hotel on the river, but a quiet area, this is the place to be. It is still close enough to walk to the convention center (quicker if you go street level), dinner or just drinks. They also have a bike-rent location in their parking lot! We rented a bike-even though we had a car- and rode them to the Mexican Market to eat at Mi Terra. San Antonio is relatively flat so bike riding is easy. This is such a beautiful hotel and restful place. We will be back!

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My partner and I booked and paid in Jan 2013 to stay at this hotel over the dates October 26-29th 2013, as part of a trip from Australia to celebrate a special birthday.

We did not have a special experience with this hotel. Ten days ago I heard from our travel agent advising that the hotel had overbooked and cancelled our booking. This is despite paying in full 8 months prior.

It turns out they had a wedding booked in a few months ago (and months after our booking) and had not bothered to tell anyone.

A week ago I contacted the hotel to get some feedback from them but got no response to my e-mail.

My advice would be to look elsewhere in San Antonio, we have found hotel called the Hotel Valencia, look out for my review in a couple of months.

In summary, a poor experience. The hotel is not even prepared to respond to my e-mail. Its one thing to make mistakes but it is really how you deal with them that matters. Hotel Havana have failed on both accounts, please don't make this mistake yourself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our trip to Texas. We had booked a Queen Suite which was gorgeous! Lovely 4 poster bed, cool little sitting area with a SMEG- big enough you could keep your own things in too & the bathroom was lovely!
Each floor had a nice little terrace that you could sit on.
Hotel was in a gret location for the Riverwalk & town.
Hotel bar was great & breakfast was very yum!
Cannot fault the hotel at all & if we ever end up back in San An will most definetly return!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hotel Havana? Share your experiences!