“Different from the rest” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% off midweek suites
Ranked #58 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Different from the rest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

We make a trip once a year to San Antonio to visit family. We try to stay some place new and fun each time. I had read an article in the Southern Living about this new little boutique hotel in down town SA. I researched it and we decided to give it a try. Here are my thoughts and travel suggestions.
1. This is not a place to take children.
2.If you have trouble getting around yes the beds are very high and you may have trouble getting in and out.
3. It is an old building and if you are looking for a slick modern hotel this is NOT your place.
Ok that being said. We enjoyed our stay very much. We loved that is was off the beaten path but still within walking distance of all the activities on the River. We loved that the floors creaked and that it was dark. We wished that we had had a better view, but we did not go to stay in our room and look out the window.
True there are no closets in the rooms, but there are hooks and hangers in the drawers. And who really needs a closet. If you are staying in town long term maybe another place will suit you better. The fridge is cute, and stocked with fun things. We did not partake but the prices are not bad. (the monkey in the basket was a bit pricey and I would have liked to have taken him home) The bathroom is small and functional. The lotions etc are in bottle in the shower. I would have liked a sample to take home. They were offered for sale, but at "very well thought of " price.
Parking is limited, but we had no problem finding a space and it is just $10.00 for the whole day. Much better than the bigger hotels.
Suggestions to the personnel pay a little more attention to the front desk. We had to hunt down someone to check out. And I do think it would be nice to offer breakfast in the lobby, free. Or in that wonderful sun room we could only see from outside.
We did not partake of anything in the bar, but did travel down to see. And yes it is dark.
All in all it was a good stay. Try it out if you are headed that way. It will be fun.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

This hotel is charming and unique, but make sure you have a room on the second or third floor not facing the street, or you will have a miserable night. It's really more like staying in someone's big old house (there are 29 rooms) than in a hotel. Attended a wedding in the hotel, and I liked the old-fashioned vibe and the service was excellent, both in the hotel and during the party. They have a lovely front porch and it was a treat to sit out there in the morning and drink the excellent coffee they provide (they don't have in-room coffeemakers, but they do have nice flat-screens). Rooms were big, matresses was excellent , loved the full-sized refrigerator, bathroom was really nice, and the bath products were terrific. But those in our party who stayed on the ground floor didn't sleep a wink all night due to the noise from the old-fashioned elevator and people coming in and going out. The location is excellent, you walk right across the street to the Riverwalk, which was very enjoyable, and they have a parking lot right next to the hotel, which is handy in this neighborhood ($10.00 a night). So all in all, I have to say I really enjoyed staying there, but you have to get the right room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
ALBERTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

CLEANLINESS: Was superb, housekeeping cleaned everyday, swiffered the wood floors, and left fresh, soft, plush towels everyday. 1 out the 5 days we slept in and were not out of the room until past 11:00 - so that day understandably was not done. SERVICE: Was impeccable, the front desk person always greets you with a hello and smile. They really try hard to make you feel welcome in this hotel. I did not bring my computer with me, and the gentleman at the front desk allowed me to borrow his laptop to use I my room - I thought that was going the distance. Very kind. The bartender in the basement bar, is approachable, entertaining, and fun to visit with. The basement bar is cool idea, you need to at least have one drink down there for the experience.
LOCATION: Depends on how you look at it and what you are looking for. I thought it was perfect. The hotel is not directly on the riverwalk, however directly across the street is stairs going down to the riverwalk. It's a nice cozy hotel that is away from the main craziness of the riverwalk, it's peaceful and relaxing when you want to get away from the chaos. Within a 5min walk of the craziness if you want to be in it though.
ROOMS: Love the rooms, they have a cozy, warm feeling. Each one has its own temperature & A/C which was easy to adjust. The beds are very comfy. There is just a wonderful coziness to the rooms, it's nice. They are very spacious too.
VALUE: I did really enjoy this hotel alot. Looking back though the room rates are a little steep for what is there. Yes you are paying for the character and coziness of the room I get that. However, like another review said, there is another historic hotel a few blocks away with way more included amenties for $30.00 cheaper a night. It all relies on what you are look for. This is a charming hotel, it is smaller/cozier, with personal service, and with wonderful quiet verandas that we enjoyed during the evenings with a glass of wine(we had bought from a liquor store).
SLEEP QUALITY: We stayed from Mon-Sat. Monday threw to Thursday night was awesome sleeps! Peaceful and quiet! Then Friday night came (1am-2am), which I understand is a party night so the hallways/parking lot was very very loud. You can hear everything in the halls of this hotel. Highheels clip clopping on the hardwood floors, laughing, screaming, there was very loud music in the parking lot. On a normal night, it wouldn't have bothered me, I just had a plane to catch at 4am, so sleep quality the last evening was not so good, other then that I truly love this hotel - and would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Crystal City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011 via mobile

The staff are gifted and responsive to every need. The rooms are filled with class and comfort for the world traveler. This exquisite property will impress any 5 stàr snob or the precious spirit that seeks high value rest and comfort in an amazing historic property located on the most beautiful part of the San Antonio River. All who work at the Havana seek to please the guests and the owners have given the staff the tools and leadership to make pleasing possible.

• Stayed February 2011
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Wow, where do I start. Why this hotel has generated so much buzz is beyond me. My wife and I planned a quick getaway based on a "best of" article in Southern Living. I can't believe they even visited the place. The King that we booked transmitted every sound from the hall. It was like sleeping without walls. The bed was like riding a sway backed horse. We couldn't lay down without rolling to the middle. Oh, did I mention that the hotel is next to a fire station? The elevator was like the set for a Dracula movie, pitch dark with red glowing ceiling lights. If you are over 40 forget being able to read the menu in the basement Havana Bar (is the new definition for hip, dark?). The staff was very nice and they were very pleasant about cancelling the last 3 nights of our stay. They understood, and by way of apology noted that they were still working on upgrading the rooms after 8 mos open. This is award winning performance? I guess I am just not cool and hip enough to pretend that his hotel is ready for prime time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

We blocked about 20 rooms for our wedding guests in November 2010, and all of our guests loved the hotel it's just such a different experience from your typical hotels. It's unique, comfortable, ROMANTIC, and just beautiful. The hotel bar was perfect to keep the party going, the bar staff was on top of all of our guests although we were a huge group. The bar setup and ambiance is just a spectacular and as unique as the hotel itself, the cocktails were exceptional specially their mojitos! Hotel staff and management were so accommodating to all of our needs, we were very pleased with our experience at the Havana and can't wait to go back. We absolutely recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

It's true, rooms at the Hotel Havana don't have closets. So if you're choosing your hotel based on storage space, this might not be the place for you. If you're looking for a unique property, a great hotel bar, interesting aesthetics and an experience outside the Marriott mainstream, this is a place worth checking out.

I booked the Havana for a week in early January for a work trip after reading up about the hotel bar in GQ, then nearly backed tracked after some of the reviews here. I'm glad I stuck to my initial take because the Havana made for an enjoyable week in San Antonio. The rooms are all different and the ambiance both in the lobby and the rooms is relaxed and comfortable. The mini-fridge is well-stocked (and not absurdly priced) with interesting eats and drinks, and the bar downstairs has great atmosphere. Overall, I found the staff to be attentive but not doting. With a small staff for a small property, you'll run into times when your questions won't be answered immediately. However, I found the staff caring, including a call to my room to let me know the interior light was on in my rental car.

There's no restaurant on site, although word from the staff said the Havana would be taking over an adjacent cafe this year, which would add to the experience. I wanted to spend more time at the hotel, but without food at the Havana that was somewhat limited. There's also no gym, but the property might be be able to find space for one. I saw complaints about noise, which on Saturday night can be an issue because of the bar crowd Every other night of the week I didn't have a problem. Being an old property, you'll here some creaking of the floor boards and people walking upstairs. So be it. That's character for you. The hotel is a short (10 minute max) walk from the bustling riverwalk of mediocre restaurants. Why you'd want to be right on top of that mess is beyond me.

Overall, I had a great experience here and would definitely return. If you're looking for something different that you won't experience anywhere else, this is a place to check out. If you're more into familiarity and the chain restaurant/hotel vibe (and closets), I wouldn't recommend Hotel Havana.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Havana? Share your experiences!