We make a trip once a year to San Antonio to visit family. We try to stay some place new and fun each time. I had read an article in the Southern Living about this new little boutique hotel in down town SA. I researched it and we decided to give it a try. Here are my thoughts and travel suggestions.
1. This is not a place to take children.
2.If you have trouble getting around yes the beds are very high and you may have trouble getting in and out.
3. It is an old building and if you are looking for a slick modern hotel this is NOT your place.
Ok that being said. We enjoyed our stay very much. We loved that is was off the beaten path but still within walking distance of all the activities on the River. We loved that the floors creaked and that it was dark. We wished that we had had a better view, but we did not go to stay in our room and look out the window.
True there are no closets in the rooms, but there are hooks and hangers in the drawers. And who really needs a closet. If you are staying in town long term maybe another place will suit you better. The fridge is cute, and stocked with fun things. We did not partake but the prices are not bad. (the monkey in the basket was a bit pricey and I would have liked to have taken him home) The bathroom is small and functional. The lotions etc are in bottle in the shower. I would have liked a sample to take home. They were offered for sale, but at "very well thought of " price.
Parking is limited, but we had no problem finding a space and it is just $10.00 for the whole day. Much better than the bigger hotels.
Suggestions to the personnel pay a little more attention to the front desk. We had to hunt down someone to check out. And I do think it would be nice to offer breakfast in the lobby, free. Or in that wonderful sun room we could only see from outside.
We did not partake of anything in the bar, but did travel down to see. And yes it is dark.
All in all it was a good stay. Try it out if you are headed that way. It will be fun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a quiet stretch of the North Riverwalk known as the Museum Reach, directly adjacent from the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, Hotel Havana offers elegant accommodations in the heart of San Antonio. From the studios to the Penthouse Suite, each of the 27 rooms and suites is uniquely appointed and designed for comfort. All feature original Bastrop pine floors and are decorated with antique furniture, Turkish rugs and vintage Cuban artwork with an emphasis on creating elegant but uncluttered space for a restful stay. Our luxurious bed linens are custom made and bathrooms are stocked with Red Flower body care products. Each room comes equipped with our signature mini bar featuring local and international snacks, drinks and souvenirs.Hotel Havana is also home to Ocho, a restaurant and lounge space serving drinks and food downstairs in the intimate hotel basement and upstairs on the riverfront. The property was reopened in 2010 by hotelier Liz Lambert and Bunkhouse Group and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, AAA Travel Services, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Havana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.