“Nice place, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio

You added Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio to your Saves list
Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East Houston Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #102 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice place, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Very nice older hotel, very clean, staff very helpful. Rooms were nice but a little small because of the older style. Beds were very comfortable, and the room very clean. It is near the amenities of downtown San Antonio, and a short walk to Riverwalk, The Alamo etc. The parking was pricey. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Beautiful lobby and very nice staff.

However, the main problem is that rooms are European-sized (i.e. extremely small so you have use caution walking around the bed to not bump into furniture). The closet was so shallow that regular shirts or jackets on standard hangars will only fit if you bend the hangars sideways (not kidding). The air conditioner was so loud that it made for very shallow sleep.

Great historical building and cool lobby, and excellent location downtown. However, before you stay here, wait until the rooms get a massive, thorough upgrade. Lots of potential but currently a place to avoid staying.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I work in Sales for a Luxury Boutique hotel in Houston. I was actually looking forward to staying at the Sheraton Gunter for a night away with my husband. Unfortunately, we couldn't wait to check-out of this hotel. It's quite deceiving as the lobby is chic and attractive. So are the guest corridors and the historic artwork is tasteful too. This quickly changes when you enter the room: restrooms outdated, toilets have mildew stains and look like they have not been cleaned in weeks, shower curtains are stained, blow dryer had someone hair from a previous guest, maintenance work was tacky as you could see holes and wiring directly in the baseboards to "fix" something. Not to mention, every time the AC comes on, we were practically blown away by the air system that was very outdated. I requested to change rooms - customer service was very poor as the guest services agent did not even ask me what was the matter. They moved us to another extremely small room and again, cleanliness was lacking.

Clearly this hotel does not value a paying guest. I work in the industry and rarely write reviews online. It's just very unfortunate that our weekend getaway was ruined by this property that claims to be something it's not.

Room Tip: 503 was a very small room. They moved us to 536 and it was even smaller.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
K Timothy M, Director Of Operations at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Michele H,
While I am glad that you were a guest in our hotel and I am grateful that you added feedback to TripAdvisor, I am truly sorry that your room was in the condition you describe. I will be investigating the reason why you were given a room that clearly was not ready for an overnight guest to occupy.
It is hard to show true empathy through an email and once again I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced at the Sheraton Gunter Hotel.
Ajijic, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just spent 5 nights here. Location is perfect and the bell staff is top notch. Didn't eat in the restaurant as the tripadvisor reviews are not good. Bohanan's prime steak is next door and Biga on the Banks is north on St Mary's 3 blocks. Elevators are fast too.

Dear tomgyakima,
Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Gunter. I am very grateful for the feedback and I am glad that you had a great time in San Antonio during your stay.
We are looking forward to your return,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I wanted to stay in a very specific room at the Sheraton Gunter Hotel - room 636, which is where the murder took place in 1965. When requesting the room, the hotel staff was very informative and told us the murder ACTUALLY took place in room 620. So, after a few email exchanges with the Director of Operations (Tim McDonald), we were guaranteed the room. He followed-up with us, letting us know we'd definitely have the room and they were excited to have us. Upon arrival, the hotel staff was extremely accommodating. Tim actually met up with us for drinks, and shared a book with us about the murders. He was very hospitable, and went the extra mile to make us feel like we were at welcomed.

Other nice features about the hotel, besides the hospitality: the pool is HEATED, and open until midnight, which is great considering most hotel pools are freezing cold and close at 9 or 10 PM. it's within walking distance of pretty much everywhere you'd want to go in San Antonio, including the River Walk, and room service was quick, hot, and fresh.

Dear Stephanie,
Thanks for all of the accolades. It was great meeting both of you and we are looking forward to your return.
See you soon!
Greenwich, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On a recent business trip I booked a stay at the Sheraton Gunter. When I checked it out on line, the location seemed great (which is generally is), the lobby attractive (true) and the rooms nice (wrong!)

When I arrived I was very impressed by the modern chic lobby. Looked very South Beach, white, airy and cool. Nice start for this brief business trip.

My arrival into my room had the exact opposite feeling. The bathroom was held together by caulk - more caulk than you could find in a local Home Depot. There was a setup into the bathroom that I routinely tripped over with each visit.

The room was cramped and unattractive. Admittedly, the room was clean and neat.

The location is good for exploring downtown area of San Antonio. It's reasonable near the River Walk and some downtown attractions.

The lobby bar and The Gunter Bakery was nice. The Bakery products were good, but it was very poorly staffed.

Overall, I would not rush back to this property.

Good Travels, Colin

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dear Colin,
While I am glad that you were a guest in our hotel and I am grateful that you added feedback to TripAdvisor, I am truly sorry that your room did not meet your expectations. I will be personally inspecting the rooms that have a step into the bathroom so I can find the room with the over-caulking. This does not excuse us from your inconvenience.
Director OF Operations
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Sheraton Gunter Hotel was our preferred destination during a short vacation stay in San Antonio. Having researched the local brands, and experienced first hand what a stay on the Riverwalk might look and sound like, we were confident this historic landmark just a short walk from the Riverwalk was the best choice.

The renovation has upgraded an already classic hotel into a lush and modern lobby space, with the restaurant and striking blues bar, Bar 414, still intact in all its yesteryear mystique. Of all the live music establishments offered by the surrounding neighborhood, this was more suited to our tastes, as it was a pleasant compliment rather than a loud distraction to the hotel guests.

The building is historic, and therefore features of age are visible throughout. But one can tell that the management here made a concerted effort to ensure that the property keeps up with the times, while celebrating the property's past legacy. It's even one of San Antonio's more popular "haunting" tour stops, which only adds to the intrigue. (No experiences were logged during our stay that would keep us from revisiting the hotel)

Overall, this hotel is a cut above the standard downtown Sheratons we've frequented. You can tell there's an extra level of hospitality and attention to detail as it regards the guest experience. For that reason and more, this will remain our preferred hotel stay in San Antonio. It is among the finest, and affordable hotel experiences the city has to offer.

Room Tip: Generally, every room in this renovated historic hotel has been carefully remodeled, and its fixture...
Dear JRGuest,
Thank you for staying with us during your time in San Antonio. On behalf of all of the associates of the hotel we are highly appreciative of your positive comments and we are looking forward to your return.
Director OF Operations

Been to Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio? Share your experiences!