“Great Staff, Good Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio to your Saves list
Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East Houston Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #115 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Leesburg, Virginia
“Great Staff, Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The staff at this hotel are exceptionally welcoming, in particular Benjamin in the concierge lounge. He was terrific, not only in how he went about his job, but he as a customer focus that is above what you would expect. He made us feel special whether at breakfast or at the end of the day, and I noticed he was able to adapt the every guest in a way that complemented who they were.

The hotel is a bit worn and could use an updating, but is nevertheless worth your attention. It has a warmth and charm to it that modern places lack. If you are a USAA member, this is the place the company was founded.

About our only down comment is that this isn't the place to stay when the San Antonio Spurs win a big game. The fans have a way of spending hours driving around downtown honking horns and carrying on. Great for fan spirit, bad for getting a good night's sleep. On our stay they had just won game one of the NBA finals and the honking started at 11 PM and ended after 2 AM. The sound certainly filled our room on the 11th floor.

Overall a charming hotel with great staff who will truly make you feel welcome in San Antonio.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Samantha C, Social Media Director at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently. We will definitely pass along your kind words to Benjamin. As for the cheering, our city does get a little excited about our Spurs! Hopefully, they weren't too crazy. Please come back and see us again soon! Thanks again.

724 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Wimberley, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

For a special wedding anniversary, my DH booked us a room at the historic Sheraton Gunter Hotel.
It was enchanting from the minute we walked into the lobby and I felt like a "bride" again. The splendor of the chandeliers, the thick carpeting along with the historic value, everything spoke of a step back in time when life's pace was less frenetic. We were greeted by very friendly staff, and that friendliness was a constant the entire time of our stay. Our room, on the 11th floor, was exceptional. We had to use our key card in the elevator to access the 11th floor and the feeling of privacy was very nice. We had a corner room, overlooking the area leading to the riverwalk, and I fell in love with the decor of the room as well, with its' dark wooden shutters, brilliant white bed linens, overall clean and refreshing; just a wonderfully seductive atmosphere. We had dinner at the Barron's restaurant where the chef created a delicious meal for each of us, and then we strolled the Riverwalk area for awhile. The onsite Bakery bewitched me with too many choices of beautiful treats. I can't say enough good things about the Gunter Hotel, and plan to stay here again, as often as possible.

Room Tip: Corner suite is definitely spacious, and has wonderful views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review! It was our pleasure having you and your husband stay with us during your recent wedding anniversary. We hope to see you back very soon! Thanks again for choosing the historic Gunter Hotel.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This year my wife and I have gone on 3 rewards stays using my hotel points. I believe the hotel Gunter is the best yet.

This hotel is smack dab in the heart of downtown which is where you want to be. Easy stroll to the river walk and plenty of good food in the surrounding area.

When we pulled up in our car the valet did not push hotel parking and generously showed us the "park it yourself" option across the street which was much cheaper ($10 a day instead of $25).

We were upgraded to a two room suite. This consisted of two large adjoining rooms, one for sleeping and another living / meeting room. This was great as we had our dog with us and could use a little extra space. This stay only cost 7k points a night which was a complete steal as far as rewards points go.

As i mentioned in the title this hotel is dog friendly and we brought along our 60lb english bull dog. There is also, a park right outside of the hotel which was perfect for "dog business"

San Antonio in general is very walkable with dog friendly restaurants along the river walk. If your dog is laid back and loves attention this is the perfect place to be.

One last random tip for San Antonio vacationers. Do not do the guinness museum or anything in that little strip they are all horrible quality. DO get the paid guided tour of the alamo, passionate knowledgeable guides who give you a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Samantha C, Social Media Director at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate the kind words and look forward to you and your family returning soon. Take care!
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have read some people complaining about this hotel saying there are worn items here and some age to it. Well, yeah, it has been here since the 1800s so there will be some wear.
Being a Starwood Platinum member, I know my Sheraton hotels. This is comparable to most in terms of room decor and setup, but it also has that feel to it of an older establishment.
The lobby is very cool if you like that antiquity of it, as is McLeod's bar, located across from check-in.
The staff was very courteous both at check-in and in the lounge.
The hotel is conveniently located just about a block from the Riverwalk. Being on the edges of the touristy area, though, means some of San Antonio's seedier residents may be wandering the streets around the hotel. Shady and seedy people, but mostly harmless.
All in all, a good experience. I usually stay at the Westin Riverwalk but this hotel did just fine.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate the time you took to review our property. It brings us great pleasure to know you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We hope to see you back sometime soon. Thanks again.
Stevensville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Gunter for work and walked to the convention center everyday. I found the Sheraton Gunter to have a lovely lobby that echoed the historic charm of the city. I believe the hotel is tied for the oldest hotel in San Antonio. The front desk staff were friendly as were the restaurant staff I met. I had the breakfast buffet which was pretty standard except the omelette bar was especially good with the option to have egg whites and plenty of stuffings to choose from. My king bed room was exceptionally large and spacious with plenty of natural light and styled to match the hotels history. I found the bed to be EXTREMELY comfortable. I ordered room service one night and was very pleased with the quality of the customer service and the food. The delivery person forgot silverware (not a big deal) and when I called to request it, the staff member who answered the phone sounded mortified and sent silverware up in less than 1 minute. The location was fine for accessing the riverwalk however it wasn't convenient for the convention center if that's what you're looking for in a San Antonio hotel. My only gripe at all is that the ATM in the basement of the lobby didn't work and I had to walk a few blocks to find one. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Samantha C, Social Media Director at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Gunter Hotel. It was our pleasure having you stay with us during your visit to San Antonio. We are glad to hear that had a great experience. We apologize for the ATM inconvenience and will double check to make sure it is working properly at all times. We can't wait to see you again soon. Thanks for staying with us!
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We booked two rooms, one for us and one for our military son who we were visiting over the weekend. The hotel is very nice and well preserved. The parking is valet only and about 25.00 a day. Our son chose to park his rental elsewhere for cheaper a short walk away. The hotel staff are very nice. We had a teeny problem with our room, I am pretty sure I saw a flea. The staff on duty switched us immediately to a larger room at the same cost so they could immediately take care of the problem which we really appreciated! I found out later that the hotel is small pet-friendly, so I don't think I was imagining it and know what a flea looks like. Aside from that little incident, everything was great! Our room was very spacious, beds and pillows very comfy, and I am picky about my beds. Shower good, large bathroom, w hairdryer. The hotel tries to be green with the linens which I applaud, but will of course bring you what you need. Housekeeping staff is nice, our coffee pot didn't work, so she went and got a new one. Rooms are clean. As our room could be a large suite, it had two locked doors leading to other rooms, we could hear the other guests pretty easily at times, you know, the ones who have the TV on a bit loud, or cough up a lung in the morning. To sleep we used earplugs just in case, I always bring them on trips. But the noise was nothing to complain about. We kept on the air and slept very comfortably. There is a great restaurant in the hotel with wonderful breakfast buffet and chatty, friendly staff! Omelets made to order, yum. The bar is good and we got to know the very educated, personable, and funny bartender. One of the best things about this hotel is it's history, lots of photos. The location was perfect! We love walking, and it's a short walk to the steps down to the River Walk which we visited often. As the hotel is not on the river, yes, you don't have the view, but also not the noise and throngs going by your hotel all day and night. so we think we chose wisely. The hotel offers discounts or free gifts at some restaurants. We did not use the spa. Right across the street is a starbucks for serious caffeinaters. Lots of shops, restaurants, the Alamo, villitas, theaters, etc. right in vicinity. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Be aware of the parking and if possible choose a cheaper self park in the area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Samantha C, Social Media Director at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for choosing to review the Sheraton Gunter Hotel. It was our pleasure having you and your family stay with us recently. We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us. We can't wait to see you back again soon. Take care.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Staying at the Gunter was a wonder experience. The hotel had a lounge with a magnificent attendant named , Benjamin. Benjamin is an extremely approachable individual who not only showed us great hospitality but also pampered the other guests in the lounge. Benjamin's work ethic and enthusiasm for the Gunter Hotel had to be the best part of the hotel.
My stay at the Gunter lasted all memorial weekend long. The wonderful location in the heart of downtown and the upmost cleanliness of hotel was well worth the cost.
I will return again soon before I leave San Antonio and hope to be greeted with Benjamin's enthusiastic hospitality once more.

• Stayed May 2013
Samantha C, Social Media Manager at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience staying at the Gunter Hotel. We will definitely pass along the kind words to Benjamin. Our property is lucky to have employees like him who make our guests' experiences wonderful! Thanks again for choosing the historic Gunter Hotel. We can't wait to see you back here soon.

Been to Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio? Share your experiences!