“dont come here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 47 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“dont come here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

If you want to be freaked out by the lady who runs it, if you want to be followed, harrassed and taunted by the 'friendly' neighbourhood boys while on your way to the shops, if you want to be told that the hotel is fully booked but not see a single person around the place the whole time you're there, or if you dont want to listen to the cab drivers who tell you not to go to this area, then yeh come here!!!

word of advice. stay away.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Haarlem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was happily surprised by the nice room I got. I did not expect it for the low price. The Inn is a beautiful historic building and the furniture matches it.

There is also a computer with internet and a printer to use for free in the common area, which was really convenient for printing out bus tickets and boarding passes.

There are not many bathrooms but they were clean and I never had to wait to use one.

A negative is the location, it's quite far from down town by bus, because the bus takes a round about way. But the bus stop is close by and the neighbourhood felt safe even if a little rundown.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

On July 21 I stay three nights and thought it was great. The breakfast, staff and Inn was wonderful.
I will definately be back next year.
Robert

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

The house is beautiful - if you love architecture as I do, it is worth the stay just to wander through it. Built in 1904-ish - 10,000 square feet, high ceilings, etc. My huge room was well appointed and clean.

The problems I had were that the other guests were not considerate. They made a lot of noise on the upstairs landing at midnight for so long that I finally had to ask them to quiet down, which they did, but it took me a couple of hours to get back to sleep.

Along with that, all guests had to share a bathroom. The other guests were drying clothes (including boxer shorts) and towels - taking up every rack and spare space in the bathroom. They also took up all the shelves inside the shower. It was the owner's responsibility to take note of this when/if cleaning the bathroom and ask them to take their things to their rooms.

The price is a good value. The neighborhood is a run down, but I didn't feel unsafe.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
NorthernCountrygal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

What a great place to stay if your looking to stay as a large family group in a home setting. Awesome old mansion that is being restored, sure it has some minor defects. But for those of us with older houses we sure know how it is. Hostess built a fire in the fireplaces in the morning to enjoy with the wonderful homemade breakfast she made. Coffee was out and ready in the morning. Felt like home, come down the stairs in the morning to the smell of breakfast cooking. Sit on the huge front porch, and we got to sing and relax in the evening. Got to know the other guest, and alot of the local history. We enjoyed walking in the area, and local folks were so friendly also. Thanks Bullis house, if we were ever to go back to San Antonio, we know we would stay again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

My sister and I stayed in late September and arrived very late.
The hostess waited up for us and had the air conditioning on in the room and the ice bucket full. It was so great especially after being from California and not being use to this hot climate.We felt so welcomed.
We hope someday to come back and bring our families.

Karolyn and Peggy Williams

• Liked — The hostess, food and Inn.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perth, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

I stayed in the Bullis House in May of 2008, whilst touring the US. To put things in perspective, I was in the States for a whole month, and was doing my best to make my dollars go as far as I could. As a result, some of the places I stayed in were dubious, to say the least, and some even had UV lights, with timers! Suffice to say, they were often rentable by the hour!

The Bullis, on the other hand, was an absolute delight, and cost far less than many of the less classy establishments I tried. THe rooms have been beautifully restored to their former glory (though there are a few projects that are clearly a "work in progress" - I would guess that there would be a problem sourcing things like fire-place tiles, for instance), and are superbly furnished with period furniture.

In my room, from memory, there were 13 drawers and a large walk in wardrobe, a day bed/chaise lounge, as well as the usual TV, frigde, tea/coffee making facilites.

As I wandered round the building, I found that the whole place had renovated to the same standard, and was spotlessly clean. The only exception to this was the pool, which had a definite greenish tinge but, since I wasn't expecting a swim, it didn't concern me too much.

The concierge was a bit odd, but not overly so by hostel standards, and certainly very friendly and helpful.

All in all, I would certainly go there again, in fact it was the only place I elected to stay in twice in the whole of my trip.

And I was NOT disturbed at all by any ghosts, ghouls, spirits, poltergeists, or any other such paranormal nonsense!

• Liked — The amazing decor/furniture
  • Disliked — No en-suite, but it wasn't really an issue
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bullis House Inn? Share your experiences!