“Good Value, Great Staff and close to FiestaTexas” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #161 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Lubbock
“Good Value, Great Staff and close to FiestaTexas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here because it was close to FiestaTexas and much cheaper than the motel we stayed at the last two years. This place could use some updating, but our rooms were clean and so were the facilities! The staff were very helpful. The second night, there were some guests who were talking very loudly out in the courtyard after midnight. I called the desk and the noise stopped for about five minutes and started again. I called again and the desk said she had talked with everyone who was outside and she would call the police to handle the matter. In about fifteen minutes, absolute silence. We really appreciated the prompt attention to this problem, which can happen anywhere.

The pool is well maintained. It was closed for an hour one day because some bugs needed to be cleaned out and the pool needed more chlorine. When they say the pool closes at ten, they do mean ten. The gate is locked.

The breakfast was typical. Waffles (which were made by an employee which really kept down the confusion), cereal, rolls, coffee, milk, juice. etc. There were not enough tables during the busiest time, so we took our breakfast back to the room. Although there is a big sign that says "Please do not take food to your room" no one said anything.

So yes, we saved a lot of money! Would go back again! Recommend this hotel to anyone who needs value and cleanliness. Great staff also.

Room Tip: The rooms are built around a courtyard. You should ask for rooms toward the back as there is a busy...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sarah S, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, We appreciate your taking the time to give us a good review. We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Antonio.

Sarah Stefano
Sales Director
Howard Johnson San Antonio Central
6901 W Interstate 10
San Antonio, TX 78213
T: (210) 738-1100 Ext. 304
F: (210) 738-1230
E: hojosalessa@gmail.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My family of Five Stayed at this hotel during our family vacation from 7-4-12 thru 7-7-12. The service was great. The staff was professional and accomodating. The always gave us the needed the information and towels when we requested.....we used alot of towels. The gym could use some ventalization....but yeah who works out anymore these days anyway when their on vacation....ok....we do.....that aside great service all the way around...they even gave us a little extension on our check time...we had alot of stuff...LOL....Go here and have a great time while on vacation....last note....the pool was very nice as well. My kids had a blast!!

Room Tip: The higher rooms seem to be more comforable....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I had a wonderful three nughts stay with my family of five two adults three kids.We all had an amazing stay. The room was clean as we cheked in and they cleaned our room every day.The staff was amazing and we even had a BBQ at the pool area on 4th of July we had fun.The pool was nice and clean and the for the hotel price was good and the sevice better will be comming back soon and fully recommend. Breakfast was good they had a variety of options just enough to satisfy morning craving.

• Stayed July 2012
Abilene, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights to attend an Air Force graduation. The staff were very friendly, and we had no issues. They are pet friendly, and they were great with cleaning our room and not letting our kitten out of the room while we were gone! Our bed was a bit uncomfortable...it was actually really firm...almost like laying on wood, but it was not unbearable. Also, the complimentary breakfast was poor. There was not a big selection, and the tables were not cleaned. The housekeeping was excellent. Our room was always clean, and we always had fresh clothes and a made bed. It is a great stay for the amount of money we spent. Not a 4-star hotel or anything...but I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

F: (210) 738-1230
E: hojosalessa@gmail.com
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here for 3 nights during the week at an incredible low price. Our GPS was having issues, so we called the front desk and the lady was so helpful! She stayed on the phone with us until we finally found the hotel! Our room was very large and very clean. The beds are pretty soft, but the pillows weren't the greatest. We brought our own pillows, thank goodness. The pool was nice and clean. The breakfast was average. Overall, we thought it was a great price for a large room. It was nice and quiet during our stay. Next time we are in San Antonio, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
olive branch, ms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

stayed here 4 days. these people are so nice. i loved our room. freezer needed to be defrosted but at least the air cond.worked and the drinks stayed cold in the fridge. everybody was so nice and helpful. this place was clean and well taken care of. if you have a coupon from a pizza delivery place do not order anything. do not give your credit card . do not call them. I did but didnt give my cc . before the pizza came we went to the lobby to wait on him and was given info as to we should be careful and check our food. glad she told me that. i checked my pizza and it looked like a poorly homemade pizza. i didnt accept it. it was not the hotels fault, they have no connection to this pizza place. thanks for saving me guys ! lol. i will definately stay again and will recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: these employees are very helpful and will be glad to draw you a map if you need help
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
David P, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write us a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

David Patel
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

My dad and I were travelling to see family. We decided for the comfort of everyone to book a hotel for 8 nights. I knew that if I wanted luxury, I would have to spend between 800-1200 on a hotel, but I decided to allocate that money elsewhere. I was very very hesitant to book an economy hotel,but after searching and reading tons of reviews, I finally landed on Howard Johnson. I read all the reviews, mostly the negative one's. I did the sign of the cross and booked it. Then I asked, "oh man, what did I do?" I'm a germ freak, so I packed for the worse(including Lysol).We picked up the rental car ( you will need it, as the hotel is about 15 minutes from downtown) and drove to the hotel, I am unfamiliar with the area and with the confusing loops on the freeway, so I got lost even with a NAVI. It's next door to a Shell gas station, and across from a Target and a Dave N Buster.

The parking lot was lonely, pretty mellow in the lobby, a bit dark. The cafeteria is next to the lobby and they provide continental breakfast that ends at 9am. At check in, I requested a room on the first floor, for my Dad's sake. I expected the worst, but as I opened the door, and was pleasantly surprised. It was a suite. Living area, couch, spacious. First thing I did was check the sheets, clean, no spots, nothing foreign. Glad. Bathroom was clean. Tv a bit old, but hey, it is an older hotel. I wouldn't walk barefoot, I don't anywhere anyhow. The room felt clean, I didn't get that icky feeling. I had antibacterial wipes, so I wiped down the common areas just in case, but I do that wherever I go... especially the remote control to the TV... you'll never know.

The bed and pillows were comfy.The shower had good pressure. No problems with hot or cold water. Towels were clean. There was a bit of mildew outside on the floor of the tub, but I didn't mind it. The walls looked newly painted. There is a refrigerator( clean) microwave( clean) and coffee pot. My dad is the coffee drinker, so I washed the inside of the coffee pot and glass just in case. I used bottled water for the brewing. There is no kitchen sink. No insects, no bed bugs, nothing. The snack and ice machine iwere in working condition.

The room is equipped with A.C. There is an open courtyard in the middle of the structure and all the rooms surround it. Very green, fresh and airy. Peaceful. The pool is adjacent to the courtyard. Since I was staying for 8 days, I asked housekeeping not to change sheets, I was comfortable with the ones there. The hotel is adjacent to the freeway( no freeway noise) it is a quiet neighborhood, no noise at night.There was a dog in the room two doors down, we didn't hear it bark. I felt the hotel was in a safe area. The hotel has really bright lights at night for extra security. There are side doors of the hotel that remain locked at all times, this way you don't have to enter through the lobby all the time.

I thank those negative reviews! I proved them wrong. I paid 42 a night, and If I had to, I would stay there again. It met my needs, comfortable, reliable. There is a washer and dryer on site, take coins. I set it on cold but the the hot water was pouring out... I noticed that the connection was incorrect. But I forgot to report it. Great housekeeping staff, front desk was great. The hotel was great for the value. Well kept. No restaurant on site, but there are places that deliver food to your room. I ordered pizza from Pizza Hut. Ihop, Denny's, Mcdonalds, Wendy's are all a close drive Can't go wrong if you are on a budget! .

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio? Share your experiences!