“Exceptional on So Many Levels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cantera Hill Country Resort

You added La Cantera Hill Country Resort to your Saves list
La Cantera Hill Country Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   16641 La Cantera Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78256 (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #44 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Adirondacks
“Exceptional on So Many Levels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Not sure where to begin: The elegant tanks of chilled sugarless lemonade in the lobby, the soothing southwestern decor throughout the entire property, off-the-charts attentive service at Francesca's Restaurant and Brannon's Cafe, being lulled to sleep on a chaise next to a waterfall, the best massage of my LIFE?

I'll start by saying I travel a lot. Over the years it's become pretty clear when a hotel or resort has staff who are highly trained but are just going through the motions. Those experiences tend to be painful to a traveler, or at best, less than pleasant.

But then there are those amazing occasions when there's a fleet of highly trained staff who also exude a genuine desire to make a guest's experience more genuine. And that was my experience over the weekend at La Cantera, starting with a late lunch upon my arrival at Brannon's cafe, where a waiter named Jason could NOT have been more thoughtful. He listened carefully to my preamble about food allergies, went out of his way to find extra honey to bring back to my room (gotta have it with morning coffee), and remembered every quirky request: water with no ice, no peppers in the salad, etc. And an hour later, he brought me (unrequested) a glass of ice water as I lounged by the pool.

At breakfast the next morning, Ruben, the maître d,’ went out of his way to make sure I had gluten-free options. Thanks to the guys posted at the front of the building, I never had to open a door the whole time I was there (a minor touch, but hey, it makes me feel like a Queen, what can I say?).

And speaking of feeling like a Queen, the crowning glory was the Caribbean massage I got at the spa, courtesy of a master masseur named Chris (wish I'd gotten his last name because I'm seriously thinking of flying him to my hometown for freelance assignments). It was hands-down the best massage experience of my life. And when I told Chris as we parted that I want to marry him, I really wasn't joking.

I'll definitely be back. Thanks everyone at La Cantera for making my visit to San Antonio unbelievably sweet.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We booked this hotel for a rehearsal dinner for approximately 120 people. The food was fantastic. The service was wonderful. Everything was set up just has we had planned. The rooms are very spacious, modern and clean. They serviced our room twice a day and left mints...yummy. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The views from this hotel are spectacular. Too cold to use the pools but they were beautiful. The grounds are beautiful we had several wedding shots taken by the reflecting pool.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed here for a three day golf experience. The total staff here is unbelievable. Great service, really interesting food, great golf staff, and an overall well-trained and focused group of employees who "get it" about customer service and support. We stay in a lot of high and middle level hotels and resorts and this is one of the best because of a well-trained staff and an overall positive group of people. We highly recommend this resort.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the resort Valentine's Day weekend and the staff at the hotel made it very special and memorable for us. The customer service was above and beyond what we expected. From the moment we arrived we felt very welcomed and were treated very kindly. We dined at Brannon's Cafe and often used room service, both of which we loved! We called several times to the service express department and they were so helpful, a particular young lady went above and beyond to assist us and make our stay and valentine's day special, I believe her name was Lindsay. She offered to help us with movie times when we asked, suggested great local restaurants, one of which we tried (Maggiano's). The bellmen were also so helpful took care of everything for us without us having to ask. Overall the stay was magnificent and we cannot wait for our next trip to San Antonio!

Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a long weekend at the Westin La Cantera - it was the first time in a very long time that we were able to get away without our son. It was AMAZING! We were upgraded to a suite, and the staff went out of their way to take care of us. The spa was a luxurious experience and the food at both restaurants was delicious. We will definitely be returning as soon as we can!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

This was my first time in San Antonio with a group of friends, and we stayed at La Cantera. It was one of the best experiences I have had. The resort is absolutely gorgeous, and the service was wonderful. Especially one of the hotel staff members Marques. He made sure we were taken care of, and he was very professional and courteous. I will gladly return here when I come to San Antonio!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

I was so impressed with this hotel that I had to write a review - which is something I never do. What put this hotel so far above the rest is the staff. Any hotel can be beautiful but when you have a good attentive staff it makes your stay go from good to amazing. An extra thanks to Marques, he was attentive and beyond helpful. It makes you feel good when you feel like staff cares about you and your needs which is exactly what Marques did for me and family. I will recommend this hotel to all, it was fabulous!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Cantera Hill Country Resort? Share your experiences!