“A wonderful stay with superb food and excellent attentive staff on every level.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cantera Hill Country Resort

Save Saved
You added La Cantera Hill Country Resort to your Saves list
La Cantera Hill Country Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   16641 La Cantera Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78256 (Formerly Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort) (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Texas Resident Offer!
Ranked #22 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Pine Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stayed for two mid-week nights at this beautiful, spacious resort and thoroughly enjoyed our quiet, restful stay. Though outside of San Antonio's downtown area, driving into town on our first night was easy and fast. We chose to stay at the resort for the rest of our stay (they have shuttle service to excellent nearby shops, golf and an iMax if you need a change of pace) and we were glad we did. Located high on a hill with a lovely view to the west, we enjoyed walking the grounds and watching hummingbirds in the main outside courtyard before the weather took a turn for the worst. Heavy rains and high winds did cause a power failure which was quickly handled by their generator backup system. Though kitchen staff had to deal with a challenging power shortage that evening, I have to say that the food here (Brandon's Cafe) was a definite highlight for my husband and me. I can easily say that I had some of the best meals (including breakfast!) that I've ever had at any resort or restaurant. Not only was the food really delicious, but it was presented beautifully and served by staff that was charming and welcoming. We were honestly very happy to eat here rather than going out. What made La Cantera special? The food, the staff and I almost forgot to mention that our king bed was fabulous too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

1,176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

This is a beautiful resort with multiple pools, tennis courts, and golf courses. I wish I would have had more time to explore. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, everything was clean and fresh. Excellent experience. Great job!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
JamiChampagne, Director of Guest Experience at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear tsfl61, Thank you so much for sharing some great photos from your recent visit to The Westin La Cantera Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon so that you will have more time to explore and enjoy the resort!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

My extended family and i stayed at this wonderful facility over the labor day week-end. from start to finish, we had a spectacular time! our group consisted of 6 adults and 5 children ranging in age from 14-5 and each individual had an amazing time. check in was quick and painless :) especially thanks to the efforts of yared - she was very friendly, courteous, and professional. there were so many child-friendly activities; our 61/2 yr old particularly enjoyed zoomagination and the dinosaur exhibit. he wanted to have a balloon creation but the wait was a little too long...but the 'creations' were phenomenal - everything from diving apparatus to ariel (little mermaid)! the children spent a lot of time at the discovery zone with the giant inflatables - they had a bee situation so were not doing cotton candy or ice cream that day, but we were given vouchers for complimentary ice cream at the gantry. The children also enjoyed the video game room and were able to play wii, etc. to their heart's content! the pool/water slide provided all day entertainment for the kiddos and the adult pool area was divine - so calm and restful (there was a little commotion caused by some guests who tried to bypass the "adults only" posted sign with their teens and were asked to move to the other pool where upon one of the "young adults" pitched a hissy fit.) our waitress, krystal, was one of the best servers we've had in recent days. she was constantly on the go but checked on us repeatedly and was always prompt, friendly, and so very helpful with our every request. we highly recommend the burger (my husband and i split and still had a hard time finishing) as well as the brat on pretzel bread. we only had two minor 'issues' that we dealt with during our otherwise fabulous stay: 1)1st evening requested turn-down svc. repeatedly(3x) and it was never done; the front desk was very apologetic and took care of this later 2) upon checking out, they couldn't locate my son's set of junior golf clubs and we waited for about 1/2hr for the staff to search; we were offered a drink while we waited(turns out they didn't bring them back with other sets from the course; found and returned to us). we have told all our friends and family who did not accompany us what a wonderful time they missed out on and look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear sgpverne, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your family's experience over Labor Day Weekend at The Westin La Cantera Resort. Your pictures are wonderful and and I thank you for sharing them. I will make sure to personally thank and recognize Yared and Crystal for taking great care of you and your family. I was so pleased to hear that all the adults and kids had an amazing time. Please accept my sincere apology for the lack of follow through when you requested turndown service and for the misplacement of your son's golf clubs. I will share your feedback with the necessary departments and I assure you we will work dilligently to ensure this does not happen to future guests. I hope that you and your extended family find your way back to The Westin La Cantera again soon.
TEXAS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

My purpose of writing this review is to caution other travellers to be on the watch out for "double-dipped" charges especially if you use a debit card to pay for your drinks /food in the pool area.We have been charged twice and on check out, tried to solve the problem.The staff refuse to admit it though evidence was given to prove it so. They did write off the second charge by "a courtesy act" not admitting their mess up. What a joke for the 4 star resort? Not worth the money spent.Look elsewhere for a better resort for money worth.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear raycyndot, I am so sorry for the billing error that you experienced while paying for drinks and food at The Gantry. I would also like to personally extend an apology that we did not resolve this opportunity to your satisfaction. We strive to ensure that every guest leaves feeling better than they did when they arrived. Clearly, when we caused you unneccesary stress, we are not meeting our own goal and for this I am sorry. I hope that you will be willing to return to The Westin La Cantera Resort so that we can provide you with the experience you should have received.
Missouri City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I took my husband to La Cantera for his birthday. He loves to go to different golf courses to play. He said that both the Resort and Palmer course were BEAUTIFUL... He enjoyed the package. The staff (especially George) were very very helpful and friendly. The hotel was clean and they had a lot of stuff for adults as well as kids. I totally recommend this resort. The trip was AWESOME!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
JamiChampagne, Director of Guest Experience at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Dear nadineprof422, I am so happy to hear that you had an AWESOME visit to The Westin La Cantera Resort and that your husband was able to celebrate his birthday playing golf on both The Palmer and Resort Course. I am always happy to hear that guests are able to partake and enjoy the many adult and family activities that we have to offer. I will personally recognize and thank George for taking great care of you. We all hope to welcome you back again soon.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I recently accompanied my grandsons (ages 5 and 3) to the Westin La Cantera for a back to school weekend. I am happy to report that the hotel grounds and accommodations are well kept and very clean. There were numerous activities to keep every age entertained and the many staff members seemed to go out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. For the most part, the children were not charged when we dined in the hotel cafe, which without a doubt was a nice surprise. If I have one negative thing to say, it would be that the menu seemed a little upscale for the average vacationer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
JamiChampagne, Director of Guest Experience at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Dear Busteye, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The Westin La Cantera Resort. Our goal is provide fun and memorable activities for all of our guests, so I was very happy to read that you and your grandson's had a wonderful visit. I did want to share with you that we are making some new and exciting changes to our Brannon's menu offerings and I hope you will enjoy these new menu items on your next visit. Thank you for your feedback as this is what we use to determine how we can continue to enhance our guest experience.
Madison, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

The Westin La Cantera is one of the best venues that I have had the opportunity to visit. I arrived a day early for my business meeting so I could ennjoy myself, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the pool, spa, restaurants, bar, and hotel room. My business meeting went extremely well, too. I will definitely make a personal visit to the Westin LaCantera!

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear glendon17, I am so pleased that your business meeting at The Westin La Cantera Resort was a success. I am also happy to hear that you were able to spend some time enjoying the wonderful amenities that the resort has to offer. I hope that your future travel plans will bring you back to San Antonio and to The Westin La Cantera Resort.
Sincerely, Jami Champagne

Been to La Cantera Hill Country Resort? Share your experiences!