“Excellent place to stay and excellent service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cantera Hill Country Resort

You added La Cantera Hill Country Resort to your Saves list
La Cantera Hill Country Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   16641 La Cantera Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78256 (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Resort Transformation
Ranked #43 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Excellent place to stay and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. The room was very spacious and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The highlight of this place is the excellent service and attention to the customer. Every employee was helpful, cheerful and made you feel at home. The conference had food brought in and it was excellent. I did not get a chance to play golf, but the course looked great. I highly recommend this place if you are visiting San Antonio.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We really appreciate the great review and hope you can return soon to play golf!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I travel a lot. I stay in many hotels. This is definitely one of the best experiences I've had.

It was our wedding night, so, of course, we arrived late. I looked very inconspicuous in my wedding dress. The night attendant was very nice, and upgraded us for a Jr. Suite! We were very happy about that. Upon arrival to our room we were delighted by rose petals leading to the bathroom and bed, champagne on ice, and chocolate covered strawberries (yes I believe I ordered 1-2 of these things - but it was actually there when we walked in, that doesn't happen too often in my experience). The room was spacious and very clean. It even had a vanity (which was perfect for having to take out all the makeup and hair pins). We called room service to bring us silverware (to eat the dinner our caterer had packed for us), and they were very prompt and didn't give me any lip about not ordering food.

A few hours later we left to go to the airport. The hotel had arranged a taxi to pick us up early in the morning (very nice touch). My favorite part was that there were not surprises at checkout - imagine, a hotel that actually charges what you agree to! Amazing!

My only regret is that we couldn't have spent more time here. Thank you Westin La Cantera!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review. We hope you will be back to celebrate your anniversary.
Bluffton, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a SPG platinum member and have enjoyed many stays at SPG properties around the world. This is truly one of the more beautiful properties in the system. I enjoyed walking around the gorgeous property. Everyone was very friendly and nice. The casual restaurant had excellent (if pricey) food. The pool area was nice and the poolside bar service worked very well as well.

Now for the issues:

1) When we arrived, we were very tired. The room was very nice and in a quiet part of the hotel (note that the rooms by the pool area can be noisy due to all of the playing children). However, when my girlfriend went to take a nice bath, the tub was filthy! Little black hairs lined the tub and it did not drain properly. We were too tired to deal with the issue that day. To their credit, when I told the front desk, they credited back the cost of some of my stay.

2) as a SPG platinum member, I am supposed to get an upgrade to the club floor or at least access to the club floor amenities. This is due to the amount of money and number of stays myself and my family have in Starwood properties each year. This was never offered to me so I assumed there was no club floor in the resort. I was quite upset to find out I was wrong after checking out. As I'm thinking about this, the check in person did not orient us to the resort (no map or guidance offered) or give us any sort of direction as to where amenities in this rather large resort are.

I would give the resort another chance in the future if the opportunity arises but I was disappointed. When I returned to San Antonio 3 weeks later, I chose to stay at the Sheraton Gunter downtown and had a much more pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Please accept our apologies that your room was anything less than immaculate upon your arrival. We are glad to know that our team was able to remedy the situation. We are also sorry that your arrival experience was lacking and will use your feedback to remind the team about how to appropriately orient guests to our resort.
austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed with the in laws fri-sun in a Jr ste. Small but great view!! Then the in-laws left so I had 2nd reservation for smaller 1 bedroom. I went to front desk to ask them to hold our luggage and to ask where my husband and son could go until the the room was ready. because summer service representative first tried to get us in the room we were already in but she couldn't do that because someone else was checking into our room. She continued to look and completely surprised me when she suggested a casita suite. I ask her how much of an upgrade it would be. She checked her computer and surprised me by saying it was complimentary and that we wouldn't have to pay for it. she upgraded us to the handicap casita suite. we had a front door a few of the private pool and spa and even had our very own golf cart. We booked our stay using Starwood points but never did I imagine that we would receive customer service beyond our expectations. My only complaint about our stay there is that none of the rooms have a kitchen area. In that regard this is a true hotel. Hours casita did have a mini fridge.we golfed a few rounds and fell in love with the views. If you've been thinking about golfing or if you are already a golfer do not miss tee time.

Room Tip: Would hurt to ask for a room upgrade. Their customer service is so excellent that you just might be...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the great review! We look forward to your next visit.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Make sure you make room requests known as this is a very large sprawling resort with rooms in two different sections. Joann, Concierge, was extremely helpful in turning around a disappointment into a delightful stay. It is very evident that the staff want your visit to be a positive memorable experience. If you are eligible, I recommend booking the SPG Club floor, very nice lounge with daily continental breakfast and afternoon refreshments. Mary and Alejandra at Club lounge attentive, professional and helpful. The pool area is great, we spent the entire time with grandchidren around the pool. Pool staff frequently check with you for any requests food/drinks...Cody very attentive. Highly recommend Brennan's restaurant -on site, you can sit outside or inside and have an excellent meal without leaving the pool area as an option to poolside eats. We will return to this resort!

• Stayed September 2013
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We really appreciate your kind words and hope to see you again soon!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed at the La Cantera Resort for 4 nights in mid-August for a last getaway. We had very nice corner rooms on the Hacienda Club level. With 3 kids in tow, we always get them their own room. I have to say, the best thing about this property is the staff. Every request was met with a gracious smile.

The Hacienda Club was a step up from what I remember our room being the last visit a few years ago. However, the bathroom is still just a standard one with combined shower/tub. There are 2 sinks but the vanity is so small there should really only be one. I think the main difference is it is much quieter on this top floor. The furnishings were nice and everything was clean.

The club level offers a continental breakfast in the morning and snacks (cookies) in the afternoon. In the evening there was a hot appetizer and veggie & cheese tray. Note to those with tiny plates piled high: this is an appetizer, not a dinner presentation :) I don't think I have experienced a club level that charges for beer and wine, but Westin does. There are complimentary soft drinks and bottled water, but several times the water was empty and we had to call for refills. Two days there were no napkins or plates for the afternoon cookies, so we had to call about that also. There was a desk for a concierge, but we rarely saw anyone on this floor that could offer assistance.

The property is lovely, but the pool area is seriously undersized for a property this size. We ate lunch while kids 8 and 13 tried to swim. They came back in 20 minutes wanting to leave because it was so crowded all you could do was stand around in the water. There were absolutely no lounge chairs available on Saturday all day. Sunday afternoon was better after most of the guests had checked out.

We ate at Brannon’s Café for breakfast, lunch and dinner and enjoyed all our meals. The servers were efficient and friendly and made you want to go back.

I did visit the spa for a massage. It was not the best spa I have seen, it was pretty basic. The ladies’ locker room was sparse, at best. I prefer separate lounge areas for men and women, which the Westin does not have.

The location is great if you are going to Fiesta Texas or Sea World. There is shopping and dining at the nearby mall with a free shuttle from the hotel. Construction on area freeways makes travel at certain times of the day very slow.

Room Tip: We had 7222 and 7224 and they were lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice review and for taking the time to share your feedback. For future reference, the resort offers five pools, including one for adults only. We hope to welcome you back again!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Beautiful property with a beautiful view but staff needs some training. When we pulled up there was no valet visible to help with our bags. We started loading them on a cart by ourselves. A valet did show up and apologized for not being there, OK Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall though it just seemed like there was no management around. For instance there were used cocktail glasses in the chairs out around the fish pond when we arrived and I noticed them for the next two days still sitting there. I would think that with a property this nice that the GM or AGM would walk the property at least once a day to look for things like this. The concierge was in the lobby but was not walking around greeting/helping guests. I noticed her touching up her make up at the desk (not professional). The other thing that bothered me was that they were washing our glasses in the bathroom sink and putting them back. I know this because when I asked the housekeeper for some glasses she didn't have any and there didn't appear to be a place for them on her cart. When we came back to the room right after the cleaning there was still steam on the inside of the glasses. They should have been sent down to be run through the dishwasher at the proper heat. I believe this is a health code violation. If management would pay attention to training and correcting a few minor details this would be an exceptional resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback and apologize that you experienced anything less than an immaculate room. We will share your concerns with the housekeeping team immediately and make sure that they are addressed.

Been to La Cantera Hill Country Resort? Share your experiences!