“San Antone” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cantera Hill Country Resort

Save Saved
You added La Cantera Hill Country Resort to your Saves list
La Cantera Hill Country Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   16641 La Cantera Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78256 (Formerly Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort) (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Texas Resident Offer!
Ranked #28 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Portland, Oregon
“San Antone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We took this trip years ago for a birthday. Perfect place to stay. Especially close to Sea World. Also took in the Alamo and Riverwalk and mall.
The pool was fantastic all enjoyed this trip especially the child.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thanks for the great review! We hope you will be back again soon.

1,196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I were there recently for a conference and during our lunch break we stopped by the Brannon's Cafe. It was quiet busy due to the guest staying and the attendees of the conference. We were seated right away and were given awesome service. The staff there were friendly and supper attentive despite the busy crowd. Our food was amazing!!!!! We even got a visit from the chef, Kristina Wash. She was so nice and very friendly. My husband and I are definitely going to have to stay at this beautiful resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thanks for the great review! We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Round Rock, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family and I were really excited about our stay at this resort! My son and his grandfather were eagerly awaiting their time on the Palmer golf course. Unfortunately we would not get the chance to check it out. I made reservations through Expedia and there was some confusion on the dates I reserved. We were to stay here on 8/17/2013 but somehow the dates reserved for me were 7/21/2013-7/22/2013. I didn't realize the mistake until the day before so I called the hotel. I spoke with the manager Ted who basically said there was nothing they could do about it. I work in customer service and know there's always something you can do about it! I paid a lot of money to reserve the room ( which they happily charged my credit card for) and to be told " sorry" just doesn't cut it for me. In my business, we really care about our customers and will try to accommodate them in any way. So, not only are they losing our business but my son and grandfather promptly cancelled their golf reservation and instead we are giving our business to their competitor down the road. We live in Austin and thus know plenty of people who travel to San Antonio for quick getaways and will be sure to steer them away from here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Please accept our apologies that we weren't able to accommodate you. We understand that human error does occur when making reservations and are so sorry that we were fully committed to other guests on the dates you preferred. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the General Manager at 210.558.6500.
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I'll start with the positives: The room I got at the Westin for our conference was one of the exercise rooms and it was truly amazing. The views were great, I enjoyed the exercise bike and other equipment, and the room was awesome. I had an 80 minute Swedish massage at the spa that was excellent. I get regular massages and Irish was phenomenal. The only downside is that they automatically add gratuity. While you can add more $, I find this practice insulting and will never include more money if the gratuity is automatically added. Too bad, because Irish would have received a 25% or so tip from me. Housekeeping was superb. They were the only great service at the hotel. I opted for the "green" stay and they were really sweet about letting me have some extra coffee when I needed it. My burger at the casual restaurant was excellent and the service there was pretty good also. Breakfasts and one of the lunches served at the conference were tasty and nicely served. One of the other highlights was the really nice shuttle driver, he was pleasant and I tipped accordingly.

Now the downside: There are many employees of the hotel that are downright rude and one of the valet staff was even pretty nasty with me. I arrived very early and wanted my luggage taken to my friend's room. I had the room number and explained that I needed it shortly (there was no other hotel guests there, it was just after 8) as I had to work to do. Also I did not want my makeup and other items melting in the already hot sun. After about 30 minutes, I called and asked when it would be delivered. They lied and said it would be right up (which is what they originally told me). About 10 minutes later I went down and got my stuff, still sitting on the cart in the hot, hot sun. No-one stopped me so - heh thieves - great opportunity to rip off hotel guests. Then I asked to be called when my room was ready. Now they did give me a great room and they did let me check in early, but when I came by to check, they were like "it's been ready", well - where was the call? The front desk staff tended to act like a "deer in the headlights" whenever I asked a question, good thing I found maps and other information - they were pretty useless. Then when I went to get my car from valet parking, first they ignore me and take the claim check from the guy behind me in line (he was taller?!), I finally get the guy to take my claim check. I watch them and I'm finally next in line…. Then I overhear the valet tell one of the guys to get so and so's car and load in their luggage. Now I may have misheard him, but after the other guy got to cut in line in front of me, I spoke up - heh! I'm next. This is when he got really rude - I did not say that. We will get your car, just an ugly attitude, I'm pretty sure he would have slapped me if he could. I finally get my car and move it off to the boondocks. The other misses was the raw, gristly steak lunch one day at the conference - it was mooing on my plate and I had to go buy something to eat. And the pools were filthy. Not slimy, but full of bugs and garbage. Floating napkins (or toilet paper, but it was the adult pool so I'd like to think it was napkins), turn the freaking skimmers on!

Honestly, if I went back to the area I'd try the Four Points down the road. At least I wouldn't have high expectations of good service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Hill Country Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short during your stay. That you experienced anything less than polite and helpful from our staff is unacceptable, and we are so sorry. Please accept our apologies and know that your comments have been shared with the team to assist in improving the overall guest experience. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
Georgetown, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for the first time for our anniversary for 3 nights. The hotel overall is beautiful. The service was excellent, especially at the pool. Drinks were a little pricy for what they were (not much alcohol in them) as was the food. Room service was very expensive and not worth it for breakfast.

We loved the pool. Spent 10 hours there one day. Staff kept coming by skimming the water to get out leaves, etc. Smores was good in the late afternoon/early evenings. Definitely seemed like a lot to do for kids.

The room could definitely use some upgrading. The walls had marks on them. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was big and the shower was nice.

Would definitely stay there again as long as we get a good rate. We got a good rate on Travelzoo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy anniversary! Thank you for your kind words.
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Satisfaction is always a function of the gap between expectations and experience. As this is a Westin (and not a Motel 6), I expected good service and customer care.
The reality - they misplaced my luggage from the front door to my room (making me late for a meeting), rooms don't get made until late in the day - 5 or 6 pm (and no one is apologetic for this), golf cart shuttles don't show (even after multiple calls), hotel keys stop working, front desk service is middling (sort of like a Fairfield Inn - although I've had happier teams working mid-level establishments than this one), gym equipment needs oiling . . .
Food is decent, the views (if you get a preferred view) are nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
We are so sorry that your visit was less than perfect. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
Torreon, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Very nice hotel, amazing view, away from crowds, excellent service, conveniently located for shopping trips or family recreation. But only book if you get a good deal online, the rack price is ridiculous, plus be prepared to dish out a little extra for the resort fee charged at check out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again soon.

For future reference, our resort fee is disclosed in writing on all booking websites. We apologize if you weren't expecting the charge.

Been to La Cantera Hill Country Resort? Share your experiences!