“Our family reunion was here....it was great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cantera Hill Country Resort

Save Saved
You added La Cantera Hill Country Resort to your Saves list
La Cantera Hill Country Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   16641 La Cantera Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78256 (Formerly Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort) (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Texas Resident Offer!
Ranked #22 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Sacramento, California
“Our family reunion was here....it was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

I cannot attest to the food poisoning incidents, but I can attest to the fact that our family reunion was held here last June, a total of 19 rooms/suites were booked, and no one got sick, everyone was happy with the accommodations (all 70+ of us from all over the nation), and the service was admirable. The lobby area was beautiful and served as a nice gathering spot for our group. Lots of pools and space for everyone, great for the little ones as well as our 92 year old Grandmother! The concierge went out of their way to help us with activities for our group as well. This property feels intimate and tucked away, yet is right next door to Six Flags, and easy distance from shopping and other restaurants. Nice golf course as well. Overall our experience was superb!

• Liked — The location and the grounds
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Durham, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

Visited this hotel with our extended family in Nov. 2006 and loved it so we booked again for Nov. 2007 but had a terrible experience so will not go there again. Fri. night after Thanksgiving 11 in our party went to 6 Flags across the street from the hotel while 3 of us stayed at the hotel and had dinner in Bannon's Cafe. I woke up sick Sat. morning at 4 am. and was dreadfully sick and in bed all day Sat. Thought it was a stomach flu or the like until another of our dinner 3-some got up sick on Sun. morning. She was too sick for the drive back to Dallas so the family had to stay an additional night at the hotel which required two rooms. We then decided it was food poisoning from probably eating lettuce from the salad bar at the Cafe. The 3rd in our party had not eaten any lettuce. Once home we learned via the internet that there had been other cases of food poisoning at the hotel about the same time. We contacted the health dept. which confirmed the other food poisonings. They conducted an investigation of the Cafe and found pkgs. of moldy lettuce. Some in our party felt the dishes and silverware in the Cafe we not clean but the health dept. said the dishwashing was in order. However on the Sun. after I was sick when I went to breakfast there was a lipstick stain on the coffee cup at my place. The waitress apologized and replaced it. The hotel is being sold to another hotel outfit which intends to add 500 additional rooms and a convention center so perhaps meantime the present management is letting things slide. There was some problem with the key cards as most days we had to get them replaced at least twice a day. I would not advise going there at the moment.

• Liked — Great beds!
  • Disliked — Food - came down with terrible case of food poisoning
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Heathrow, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

We were at La Cantera for Thanksgiving with extended family--14 of us in all. Early on our third day my mother in law became violently ill. Early the next morning (the day we were to leave) I came down with the same horrible symptoms. My mother in law was well enough to travel home but my family of 4 had to stay as I was in no shape to make the 5 hour car ride home. We extended our 2 rooms for the night ($500.) telling the front desk that it was due to my illness. Imagine my shock when I got home and read the previous review about the group suffering from food poisoning. I phoned the hotel and was informed by their executive offices that between 11/2 and 11/12 a number of guests and employees had shown symptoms of the norovirus. They assured me that they had contacted the San Antonio Health dept. and they inspected and gave them a clean bill and that the problem had been taken care of. Obviously it was not. We were denied a refund but were offered a one night stay which I refused. The only other remedy was to credit our spg rewards card for a nights stay which I reluctantly accepted. I am most irritated that after informing the front desk staff of my illness no one bothered to check with us to see if the symptoms were similar to what others had experienced--if for no other reason than to alert housekeeping to take extra precautions when cleaning my room.

In addition to the horrendous end to our stay there were also some other issues
1. Our room keys kept "decoding". We made every effort to keep them away from cell phones etc. but were constantly having to have them re keyed (a very long walk to the front desk)
2. When making our travel plans repeated attempts to contact the hotel via email, phone and fax went unaswered. Luckily we checked our 3:00 Thanksgiving dinner reservation on Wed. as the last seating was at 2:00 and it was under a completely different name but with our phone number
3. For holiday weekends they really should have some activities (movies, crafts, etc) for kids. The lobby was like a gymnasium most nights filled with bored children running around and banging on the piano.

We stayed here last year for Thanksgiving and it was a much more pleasant experience. Ironically one of the highlights of my stay this year would have been the fabulous steak dinner that I had in the hotel restaurant if I didn't think that was the meal (salad bar) that made me sick.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — getting sick
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

I am from Boston and recently visited San Antonio for the 2007 Annual FactSet Symposium; I stayed at the Westin La Cantera and would summarize the experience with the following:

DO WHAT YOU CAN TO AVOID FOOD POISONING - we believe it was the eggs at breakfast on the third day, but whatever it was, numerous other colleagues staying at the Westin for the conference suffered the same affliction/symptoms

RELISH THE WEATHER - if you are from the northeast, Texas can't be beat in November

ENJOY THE ACCOMODATIONS - in general the Westin was very hospitable and scenic, and we were upgraded to a very nice Casita when our room was not available at the time of check-in

Unfortunately, our entire trip was spoiled (by rotten eggs - ha) by whatever it was we ate. I had already planned to extend my stay, and the duration of my stay on the River Walk was ruined! I contacted the hotel to let them know I got sick while eating their food for three days, and the General Manager was quite responsive initially, but I have yet to be adequately compensated.

All in, it was a nice hotel but I am very wary of staying at another Westin. I couldn't even enjoy my first trip to San Antonio and the Alamo without feeling like I had the flu. Stay away from the food, and if possible, stay someplace other than the Westin!

Cheers,
Poopy in San Anton'

Stayed November 2007
North Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

I would avoid staying here again. We stayed on the 7th floor, which is their club floor. The room was next to the service elevator and it was noisy. I asked to change rooms. Nothing else was available but there was no follow up for the next two nights I had reserved. The room was large 7225 but had lousy decor. No style and no class! We actually left a day early. Had a very expensive pedicure. They were 15 minutes late and the pedicure lasted 45 minutes. Poor value,no frills and was $75. Had terrible service at their cafe. Second night our keys didn't work. For the price this was a crummy experience. If you have to stay here, the club floor is worth it. We will go to the Hyatt Hill Country next time.

• Liked — Nice views
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
us
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

I don't know that I would stay here again. it was nice - but I've stayed at places I prefer. I planned a work meeting here. It was nice to receive complimentary wine. It wasn't nice to have to ask for receipts or for credit to my Starwood Preferred account. i think that Marriott Rewards offer more.

Stayed July 2007
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

The grounds are beautiful and with golf, spa, shopping, gym, pools we had high hopes. But we had to work to make our week-long stay here a pleasant one. Highs: E-concierge helped us book a golf/spa package and multiple rooms for family arriving different dates. Plenty of quick, friendly valet and bell staff. Check-in was warm and personal. Lows: Our son's reception was indifferent, and his room not ready at 4 p.m. (we finally took a downgraded-view room). I had to produce copies of my emails to get the package we booked (unlimited golf for 3 days vs. the 1 round, 1 day they presented). Our room walls were scuffed, a faucet dripped (though fixed on request and chocolates for our inconvenience), loud TV next door at 2 a.m. (though security visited ended that after our call), a concierge directed us to a sports bar miles away when the hotel bar had the game on several TVs, no price list for the mini-bar, no shower cap, coffee creamer not replaced until requested. With a little service training and consistent delivery, this could be a dream destination.

• Liked — The grounds, golf, gym, overall location
  • Disliked — Inconsistent staff service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Cantera Hill Country Resort? Share your experiences!