“BEWARE of food poisoning (nice hotel otherwise)” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Cantera Hill Country Resort

You added La Cantera Hill Country Resort to your Saves list
La Cantera Hill Country Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   16641 La Cantera Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78256 (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Resort Transformation
Ranked #43 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Boston
“BEWARE of food poisoning (nice hotel otherwise)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

I am from Boston and recently visited San Antonio for the 2007 Annual FactSet Symposium; I stayed at the Westin La Cantera and would summarize the experience with the following:

DO WHAT YOU CAN TO AVOID FOOD POISONING - we believe it was the eggs at breakfast on the third day, but whatever it was, numerous other colleagues staying at the Westin for the conference suffered the same affliction/symptoms

RELISH THE WEATHER - if you are from the northeast, Texas can't be beat in November

ENJOY THE ACCOMODATIONS - in general the Westin was very hospitable and scenic, and we were upgraded to a very nice Casita when our room was not available at the time of check-in

Unfortunately, our entire trip was spoiled (by rotten eggs - ha) by whatever it was we ate. I had already planned to extend my stay, and the duration of my stay on the River Walk was ruined! I contacted the hotel to let them know I got sick while eating their food for three days, and the General Manager was quite responsive initially, but I have yet to be adequately compensated.

All in, it was a nice hotel but I am very wary of staying at another Westin. I couldn't even enjoy my first trip to San Antonio and the Alamo without feeling like I had the flu. Stay away from the food, and if possible, stay someplace other than the Westin!

Cheers,
Poopy in San Anton'

Stayed November 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
North Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

I would avoid staying here again. We stayed on the 7th floor, which is their club floor. The room was next to the service elevator and it was noisy. I asked to change rooms. Nothing else was available but there was no follow up for the next two nights I had reserved. The room was large 7225 but had lousy decor. No style and no class! We actually left a day early. Had a very expensive pedicure. They were 15 minutes late and the pedicure lasted 45 minutes. Poor value,no frills and was $75. Had terrible service at their cafe. Second night our keys didn't work. For the price this was a crummy experience. If you have to stay here, the club floor is worth it. We will go to the Hyatt Hill Country next time.

• Liked — Nice views
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
us
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

I don't know that I would stay here again. it was nice - but I've stayed at places I prefer. I planned a work meeting here. It was nice to receive complimentary wine. It wasn't nice to have to ask for receipts or for credit to my Starwood Preferred account. i think that Marriott Rewards offer more.

Stayed July 2007
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

The grounds are beautiful and with golf, spa, shopping, gym, pools we had high hopes. But we had to work to make our week-long stay here a pleasant one. Highs: E-concierge helped us book a golf/spa package and multiple rooms for family arriving different dates. Plenty of quick, friendly valet and bell staff. Check-in was warm and personal. Lows: Our son's reception was indifferent, and his room not ready at 4 p.m. (we finally took a downgraded-view room). I had to produce copies of my emails to get the package we booked (unlimited golf for 3 days vs. the 1 round, 1 day they presented). Our room walls were scuffed, a faucet dripped (though fixed on request and chocolates for our inconvenience), loud TV next door at 2 a.m. (though security visited ended that after our call), a concierge directed us to a sports bar miles away when the hotel bar had the game on several TVs, no price list for the mini-bar, no shower cap, coffee creamer not replaced until requested. With a little service training and consistent delivery, this could be a dream destination.

• Liked — The grounds, golf, gym, overall location
  • Disliked — Inconsistent staff service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

I stayed at the Westin La Cantera on the day before my wedding and for my wedding night. I arrived on the Friday before my wedding (also the day of my rehearsal dinner) in a bit of a rush and was initially told that room was not ready. I arrived at 3 p.m., which is check in time. I explained to the front desk staff that I absolutely had to be in a room immediately because of the tightly packed schedule of events and they magically found a room for me to take. I was in a junior suite- the room was very large and and the bathroom was fantastic. I especially liked how despite the fact that the suite was all one room, the bed and sitting area were separated by a half wall and the television armoire, so there was a feeling of two rooms. This also came in handy, as the morning of my wedding, there were several of my bridesmaids, my wedding coordinator , photographer and my hair and makeup person all in the same room. We all had plenty of space to move around in and it did not feel crowded.

I had a minor wedding disaster- my florist completely and horrendously botched my bouquet, which arrived about 3 hours before the wedding. I spoke with someone at the front desk, who called a florist and had a new bouquet delivered within the hour. It was a real life saver. I had mild break down in the lobby upon seeing the disastrous state of my flowers and the staff was friendly and accomodating and sympathetic, which was really great.

The hotel also allowed me to take photos with my family and wedding party in the lobby, which is beautiful, and in the outdoor courtyard without any trouble. My husband and his groomsmen were staying in a casita and the hotel provided them with a free shuttle to the wedding location, which was at the Dominion Country Club, approximately a 10 minute drive away.

The front door staff is also wonderful and they were very helpful when I was carrying the tons of wedding related stuff through the hotel.

On the morning after the wedding, we were driving back to Dallas and my husband realized that he had left his contacts in the room. I called the hotel and they immediately sent someone up to check and found them and even offered to send them to our honeymoon location (In Maui) for us.

Great experience!

• Liked — The service, the large room
  • Disliked — ATM was broken for the 3 days I was there.
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

We had a beautiful room with a beautiful view. The beds are extremely comfortable. The location is right next door to Fiesta Texas and some new shopping centers. The pools were wonderful, and they had walking trails around the hotel. Parking was down the "hill" a little, o people who don't want to walk should consider valet. The staff was wonderful, and our every need was met. There is a reason that this is considered a premiere hotel in San Antonio.

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Walk to park
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
austin, tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

For over $200 a night, we expected more in service and in accomodations. The bell service was hurried and misplaced our luggage in another guest's room. After waiting for 2 hours (past our son's bedtime), they finally delivered our luggage with only a luke warm apology. The room itself was worn and the chairs had stains on them. The bathroom had hairs on the floor and there was a glass ring on the bathroom counter that wasn't wipped off. The food we ordered from room service wasn't even warm and very small portions! I just had the feeling that I was nickel and dimed, but without any quality service! When I complained when we checked out, they only said "sorry" and had me fill out a card stating my complaint. Have I heard from them again? No. If they had seemed more concerned about their guests, maybe we would come here again, but we will never return here or any westin hotel.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — poor service, rooms worn and dirty
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Cantera Hill Country Resort? Share your experiences!