“Still Hit or Miss” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 347 hotels in San Antonio
North Texas
“Still Hit or Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I always stay at this hotel when visiting SA, so I can earn points for free stays. I think I am just tired of the same old thing, same food at breakfast, same evening snacks, same rooms, same everything. There is nothing basically wrong here and the recent updates are nice. I also enjoy the free covered, secure parking. The pool is nice and the people are great. This past trip I was very disappointed that my room although non smoking just reeked of smoke smell. It was on the bedding. I will stay here again as my concerns were addressed efficiently. This hotel is in a great location, close to everything.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I highly recommend the Drury Inn! I recently stayed at this hotel over the weekend and had an amazing experience. The customer service for the front desk was amazing. I accidently left my personal pillow in the room and received a call back from housekeeping stating they found it. They were also very accomodating with special requests for a needy soccer team. The price was right, the service was awesome and the location perfect for our needs. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: The double room suite is great for families.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Raeford, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites 95NE 410 Loop in San Antonio for a duration of 2 1/2 months while in school. An expensive item came up missing from my room and all they can say is that according to Texas law, the hotel can not be held responsible for anything taken out of your room. This is totally ridiculous. I advise anyone staying here to only take things you don't mind people stealing. Bad, Bad business.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Southern US State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Back again for another round...and...ok, not as GREAT as last time - but not that bad, either...

Yes, tremendous changes have been made at this location, mostly affecting the front Lobby and dining areas, and I must say, these changes are dramatic! The Lobby is now on the 2nd floor, facing the west, and is very well appointed. It looks very nice, shiny and fresh. Of course, with the fresh, popped, popcorn smell waffing through the air as you check-in, how could you go wrong?!
Check-in was easy, and we were afforded a slight "upgrade" because of our Gold Key status. We booked well in advance, took advantage of the "Web Rate", and were glad we did: we were paying HALF of what most others we understand were. We were in at $76/night for a King room, and were upgraded to a double-suite for the same price.
The room, however, (and as many have commented on before), needs some serious updating. We found it (grossly) ironic that as we enter the room and are overcome with the stench of cigarette smoke, a sign on the little round table in the room indicates, "You will be charged a $250 cleaning fee for smoking in this room. Thank you for keeping this room smoke-free". Riiiiiiiiiiiiight! Oh my gosh it was AWFUL! However, after a few minutes, the effects of the 2nd hand smoke have taken ahold, and you almost get used to it. I mentioned this to the Front Desk Management who offered to "mask" the stench with a spray, but I declined - so the onus, I suppose, is on me. It just would've been nice if I hadn't had to smell it in the first place.
As is Drury's continued promise of the "Extras aren't extra", the food still continues to flow. Morning and Night. We took full advantage of the 5:30 Kickback, with the first night's offerings of: salad, potatoes, meatballs (not advertised!), hot dogs, mac/cheese, chedder cheese soup, pretzels, nacho chips, regular chips, SODA, salsa, celery/carrots, and so on. Seriously...if you're not afraid of the sodium and carbo explosion, heck, save yourself a few bucks and enjoy the food here.
Of course, for those that par-take in alcoholic beverages, don't forget about your 3-a-night punch-card, that gets you 3 alcoholic beverages per-adult! It looked really popular - however, since I don't drink alcohol, I wasn't able to accurately experience the benefit. My daughter, did however, enjoy her Shirley Temples, as usual.
Sure, it gets busy, but they keep bringing the food out, and never run out. And when you're done with all that salty, good stuff, have a bowl-full, or cone-full, of their chocolate, vanilla, or mixed ice-cream composite. It's kind of like the ice-cream you get at SouperSalad, or Sweet Tomatoes, Chinese buffets, etc. But, you're going to appreciate the "cleansing the palate" this has on you, that you actually enjoy it! And, it was enjoyable - don't get me wrong - I'm definitely not knocking the stuff. :)
With all that food down the hatch, who needs dinner now? Myself and my daughter ate enough to definitely get us through until next mornings' buffet hot breakfast, and with the sodas and popcorn flowing until 10, you are SET!
Parking is in a garage shared with the Holiday Inn next door. It seemed pretty safe, well-lit in most areas. Has a need for a passcode to get IN and to get OUT...
The pool and hot-tub were well attended by the guests of the hotel, and it looked to be well cared-for. In fact, I think I recognize the maintenance staff here who've been here for quite some time now. They seem to actually enjoy their job, which makes their productivity that much better.
Breakfast (yep, back to food again...why not, I'm a guy!)...was full of the usual carbo-sodium-n-fattening necessities of any morning routine. :) And it was all so yummy! Bagels, bread, 4 waffle makers, donuts, eggs, sausage patties, breakfast fried potatoes (oh my gosh those were good), biscuits, gravy, condiments for making quick Migas, dry cereals, cooked and dry oats, yogurt, oranges, bananas, orange and apple juices, even soda! Hmmm...what have I missed? :)
(running out of space on this review I see...)
Short of some noisey kids running the halls for some time, I think our overall experience was a decent one, and if you're open-minded like we are, and not "stuffy" about places like this, then this hotel will probably be more than adequate. It's location next to the airport, and off of 410, make it strategically smart for getting to all the various tourist traps and malls (Northcross is literally a 1 minute drive down the service road!).
Can't wait to get back here! Think I'll go book our next weekend getaway right now...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
I would like to start off by thanking you for choosing to be our guest. I sincerely apologize about the smoke odor issue you experienced during your stay. As you noticed by the signage in the room we are working on ways to prevent this from occurring. We are also working with our housekeeping team to ensure we properly treat a room that has been smoked in. On the positive side I'm very pleased you had some good experiences to take away with you. Many guests love the food items we offer and many find it hard to believe that it's all FREE! Again, thank you so much for your comments and please believe that they do not go unnoticed. You are greatly appreciated and I really look forward to having you as a guest the next time you're in town!

Cherrica Williams
Assistant General Manager
Drury Inn & Suites - Airport
Waxahachie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have stayed at another Drury and was completely blown away and I somewhat expected this one to be comparable. Many of my coworkers stay in this hotel and rave of the amenities so I gave it a try. Impressive lobby, however, that's not why I was there. The room was a bit warm so I lowered the setting on the thermostat when I arrived. The wall mounted soap/shampoo/conditioner drips on the shower faucet knob which just felt wierd when I reached to turn it on. The showerhead sprayed in several undesireable directions and unscrewed when turned to adjust the spray setting. Water pressure was less than what I would like. Towels were 'economy' hotel type and the sink did not drain. 3 hours later the room began to cool to a pleasant temperature. I had an awesome view of the Holiday Inn Express from the 7th floor. Breakfast was great as to be expected from a Drury. I will stay here again and I hope this was just an 'off day,' (i.e. bad timing on my part)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. I want to personally apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced during your most recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer and he is correcting the issues you have brought to our attention.
We truly appreciate your comments and your feedback will only make us better in the future. Thank you again for your business and we look forward to seeing you again when you travel to San Antonio.

Joe Coursolle
Bella Vista, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The new lobby area of this Drury Inn is really nice. The chain is hit or miss. Some of the hotels are terrific, some are just ok. This one is in the middle. The evening reception is the same madhouse as always. Nothing brings out the masses like free food. The room is clean and well kept, but very dark. They have upgraded the furniture in the room. Bedside tables have extra power outlets, which is great! New LCD television, dorm sized fridge, etc. Really very nice. The only thing that hasn't been upgraded is the bed... which is odd. Other hotels at this price point (Hampton, Holiday Inn Express) have upgraded mattresses and bedding. The sheets were very scratchy. The mattress was hard and uncomfortable. There is a brick exterior wall in the bedroom. That, plus the paint and furniture colors gives the room a very dated room. Turning on lights -- they are CFL and very "cold and artificial" - doesn't help. Lighting should be warm and bright, especially if the room is dark. I would stay again, but only if my usual choices are unavailable.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate you taking the time to share with us the areas we can improve upon. I have shared your comments with our corporate office and I am happy to share with you they are in the process of reviewing our room design for upgrades in the near future.

Thank you for your business and I hope to see you again when your travels bring you to San Antonio.

Sincerely

Joe Coursolle
Drury Inn and Suites San Antonio Airport
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at Drury Inn for the first time and we were impressed. Our room was a King Size, large and very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The evening Kickback was awesome, Nachos, baked potatoes, salad, hotdogs, macaroni and cheese and etc. It was more than a snack. We will stay here again. Only complaint, I will take my own pillows.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport? Share your experiences!