I needed a place for an overnight stay in this area and selected the Hyatt Place because of previous stays at Hyatt Place's across the country. While the property had the same amenities, layout, and ample size, and features as the others, this one just didn't seem to have the same quality that I've come to like from this chain. I was disappointed. Here's why:
1) The elevator was possibly the slowest elevator I've ever been in. My room was on the fifth floor and it took forever. Not a great opening experience in a hotel.
2) The king bed in the room was nicely made up, but when I got on top of it to go to sleep, the mattress was very very soft, and saggy. It probably needed to go.
3) The shower head was not of a good quality and the water pressure in the morning was minimal, making a good shower and hair wash difficult.
4) The Noise. I believe that my room did not face the highways in the area, but it must have been close enough for both the highway noise and TRAIN noise to be very disturbing. (Its not something the hotel can do much about, but the window quality must not be the "best" to keep noise out.) Perhaps rooms on the back side are a better choice.
5) Overall friendliness and attentiveness of the staff was average - and I don't like to be nitpicky - but I came back in the evening and liked the thought of a chocolate chip cookie. The cookies had a small sign next to them suggesting "these are great when they are warmed up". But the clerk - who was also doing registration/checkin and tending bar at the same time - didn't ask if I wanted it warmed - he should have - and I didn't ask, and I should have. It would have been really good warmed up!
A 1-5 rating is always subjective. I was thinking that this was "poor", but in comparison with really "poor" hotel experiences, this wasn't one of them. So, I think it was poor, in comparison with other Hyatt Place experiences, but only average when compared with all other hotels and other chains. When I have a choice among many places of similar types of hotels - Courtyard, Hampton, Homewood, Aloft, I usually choose Hyatt Place. This time, it didn't live up to my expectations and it disappointed... but it was still clean, warm, and relatively comfortable. I imagine there are better alternatives in the area...
Ask for a room away from the highway and train tracks....
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.