“Rude staff, dirty rooms, breakfast service awful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk

You added Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   830 N. St. Mary's Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly Hawthorn Inn & Suites) (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #74 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Rude staff, dirty rooms, breakfast service awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The staff are very rude and arrogant, the hotel rooms are dirty and the service is absolutely appalling.

We arrived at the hotel at 1030 am, but as we knew check-in wasn't until 3pm so it wasn't a problem. Our rooms were eventually ready at 430 pm. I had booked 2 rooms, one room to sleep 2 people and one room to sleep 4, but we were told there was only one bed in each room. I tried explaining to the receptionist what i had booked but they were very ignorant and rude, talking over me whenever i tried to explain that one room needed two beds. After 30 mins of arguing I was eventually told they had managed to find me a room with a roll out bed and because of the problems and late check in they said the children could eat free at breakfast (even though I had paid for breakfast in the room rate).

Once in our rooms we found no roll out bed, I called reception and was told they would send one up immediately, I pointed out it needed to be big enough to sleep two children. The bed arrived 1hr 15mins after my phone call, it was only big enough for one child and was made up for one, ie one pillow. My friends were staying in the room next to us, their room was had thick dust on the bedside tables and the floor was covered in dust, dirt and black hairs.

Breakfast was a shambles, we had to wait 1hr 20mins for our breakfast. The service was very slow even then it was because each time we had to chase our waitress, to clean the table, to receive a menu, to take our food and drinks order and to receive the food.

After ordering our food, the waitress asked to see our breakfast vouchers where we found we were only allowed one drink item and one food item off the menu. I wanted coffee, orange juice and toast, but could only have one drink unless I paid extra, my son only wanted milk, bacon and toast but couldn't have them without being charged. She asked for the children's vouchers but I said the receptionist said the kids could eat for free, but before I could explain to her why, she became very rude and arrogant saying kids don't eat for free and demanding to know the receptionists name who said it and talking over me, not listening to any of my explanations.

After speaking to other people they had the same issues of rude, and arrogant staff along with a poor and slow service throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are spacious enough
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The free breakfast buffets with the disgusting powdered eggs are at least. Here, the $8 "All American Breakfast" is two eggs any style, and if they are scrambled, they are inedible. Homefries and sausage, likely microwaved.
The off-brand coffee pods in the rooms? Really bad, weak coffee.
There is a lot to like about this location and the decor. Needs better housekeeping (clean some carpets!), staff paying some attention and a rethinking of the microwave as central to the kitchen's operation.

Room Tip: Balconies over the Riverwalk look nice, though there is construction happening on the other side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Palau S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from the restaurant staff. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Monterey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Housekeeping needs attention. The morning after we checked in, I opened our room refrigerator to find a plate of half-eaten food left by a previous guest. Definitely a turn-off! Housekeeping also neglected to leave shampoo, conditioner, sugar and creamer for coffee (standard supplies at hotels) on three of the mornings we were there. On the third morning I called and asked for these things. The carpet in the hall had some stains. I am glad we had hardwood floors in the rooms. Aside from the above, the rooms appeared to be reasonably clean.

Dining service was also poor. No breakfast buffet. Guests with complementary breakfast vouchers must order from a menu. Service is very slow, a particular problem when one must leave to attend a conference at another location. Our oatmeal was packaged oatmeal, microwaved, and served without any condiments. When I asked for an omelet with just vegetables, I received one with bacon bits and diced ham included. I am sure that the breakfast potatoes were the frozen variety, reheated. The hotel staff should follow the example of other hotels and offer a buffet breakfast, served on stoneware with cloth napkins. We did not have dinner here: options were very limited. We noticed that the dining room had few patrons. And judging from our breakfast experience we can understand why.

The front of the hotel is located on a side street, in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood at the edge of the hotel district. The back of the hotel faces a quiet stretch of the river, a good 15 minute walk from the restaurants on the River Walk. One can take a river taxi, although they are not punctual. A point to point river taxi ride costs $5.00 per person. Or $20.00 for a couple to take the taxi to and from dinner at one of the restaurants on the River Walk. The conference center is a good 25 minute walk from the hotel.

On the positive side: The interior and the back patio have a "boutique" feel. We had a good-sized room (#224) with a large balcony overlooking the San Antonio River Walk. The balcony was furnished with table and chairs. A great place for reading, conversing, having a glass of wine when the weather is pleasant! Our bed was comfortable. Great shower! Keurig coffee maker.

Would we stay here again? Housekeeping and the slow kitchen service would give us pause.. Still, we liked the quiet and enjoyed happy hour on the patio. We don't mind walking. We would not eat here. The Havana Hotel, just across the river, has a small restaurant (Ocho) overlooking the river with a small selection of tasty Cuban specialities and a nice ambience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear MCN-Travels,

Lincs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

First they stated we were lying when we showed our hotel confirmation to proved we had booked a room to sleep 4! All the front desk wanted to do was argue and talk down there nose to us. It was an absolute disgrace.

The rooms weredirstly with dog hairs evident under every blanket, curtain etc.

Breakfast was the worst service I have ever seen, we wereignored by all three people on service while we waited for a table. When one became available they would not clean it until I got mad. It then took 20 minutes to get a drink (no self service for anything),theytook our food order 30 minutes after that! The room with breakfast voucher only allows one item off the menu!!!!!!!!!!! The waitress was arrogent and totally disrespectful to our party of 6! It took a total of 2 hours to get simple breakfast!

The worst thing was that I had to ask if this is the normal level of service and only at that point, when we were leaving, did some suit apologise for waht had happened.

Unforgivable, this trip was pleasure, but I travela lot for business, I will not use this group again after this experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear mjh1973,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

East Bay, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed her for business. The room was comfortable and clean, and there is a lot to like about this place. The location is great, there is a pool, and a bar and restaurant right on the premises.

I could not get a reliable wake up call. This really cost me as I had business to attend to, and nearly caused me to miss my flight home. The first time it happened, I was clear that this was a serious issue, but I got no serious response back, as it happened several other times. This laissez faire attitude by management, and no sincere apology for this or other issues I encountered (not toiletries despite asking repeatedly) made me uncomfortable. The least they could have done was ensure the problems were fixed. The fact that they weren't tells me they didn't care about me as a customer. I should not leave a hotel feeling like an inconvenience.

The hotel Indigo at the Alamo was 100 percent kind, courteous, and took excellent care of me as business traveller. Go somewhere else for business needs--like the other Hotel Indigo.

If you are coming to this hotel on vacation with no urgent needs or commitments, I'm sure you could enjoy this place.

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear alldingo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. We are pleased our location suited you well and delighted you found your room accommodations commendable. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret you found the level of service you received less than satisfactory. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to stay. I have enjoyed the view from the balcony overlooking the riverwalk. Short ride by water taxi to local restaurants downtown.. Room clean and great staff.. I have really enjoyey stay here...

• Stayed March 2013
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed at other Hotel Indio properties and enjoyed them. This one was nearly brand new when I stayed in early February 2013. Rooms were exceptionally spacious. Love their design esthetic. My travel arrangements were made for me and i had just one night here, then transferred over to Hyatt Regency. Wish I could've spent my entire tay at Indigo! I would rate the hotel higher except that there was room for improvement with staff. They were very nice, but still in training mode so things were a bit slow. Breakfast in onsite restaurant was delicious but again, service was slow. I have confidence in the Hotel Indigo brand and imagine that once staff has gained more experience, people will be giving it the highest ratings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk? Share your experiences!