“Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   830 N. St. Mary's Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly Hawthorn Inn & Suites) (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #73 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am very disgusted with the service of some of the staff that work at this hotel my sister in law came to visit and stayed at this hotel and she receive poor service all the way around starting with the front desk staff a guy by the name of Alex checked us in and when we asked him about parking in the handicapped section of the hotel he was rude and very inconsiderate, I felt very offended because he said that if my in law didn't have a parking decal she couldn't park in handicapped parking and we would have to park across the street. When we checked in and got settled we decided not to go anywhere out to eat and wanted to dine in so we went to the resturant and we were greeted by two men one which seemed very arrogant and into himself and his name was Matt the other man's name was James he seemed to be very down to earth and easy going we really enjoyed him but what really made my dining experience a not so pleasant one was the fact the person in charge of the dining room was not attentive to satifying his guest because he was so busy flirting with younger women and making very lude and crude comments about taking women out to drink and wanting them to come back to his room, I have never felt so out of place it was as if I were in a sex shop and I was going to be hit on next. I also felt that he was rude in speaking in spanish to housekeepers when they walked through the resturant grabbing something to drink, I had no idea this place would be so full of rude people and me being just moved here I heard this place was a nice relaxing place to stay but I must say the General Manager of this hotel must let everyone do what they want and not take action for any wrong doings, if I have learned anything from this visit while my family visited here that I will never come back and anyone I know who ask me what hotel to stay at this one will not be on my list at all.

• Stayed August 2012
RWIndigo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We truly do apologize for the experience you had with us. That is not the typical stay our guests have. Please be assured that we have addressed your concerns with the appropriate departments to ensure this has been corrected. We hope you do try us again to show you our genuine charm

414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Hawesville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Loved the decor of this hotel and check-in went well with a friendly staff member. The king bed room was very nice when you first look at it. Nice bed, decent size room, love the wood-like floor and Keurig coffee maker.

Dinner was interesting in their restaurant. No one else there (It was a Saturday night), just wait staff eating at the counter. James was very nice, personable and doing the best he could with what they had. Shrimp appetizer was excellent, not over cooked like so many other places. The rib eye steak is hardily Texan as it was small, but I didn't expect much for a $15 steak. It was cooked properly, and the garlic mashed potatoes were good, along with the vegetables.

Upon going to sleep that night we found the dead bolt would not work. We did the cross bar lock and put furniture in front of the door. Unfortunately sleep was a challenge in the room. Walls seem to be thin so can hear others in rooms adjacent. But the worst thing was a dripping shower head. Not all the time, so it must have been triggered by various water pressures.

We also noticed mold in the upper corner of the shower and robe hanger on bathroom door was broke.

The next morning, breakfast was a disaster. Service was terrible. Looked like only two women there to wait on tables and they looked unhappy. There were only 3 other table besides ours for maybe a total of 10 people. When the woman finally came over to us, I ordered milk. She went over to the self serve counter by the cash register and got me a plastic bottle of milk and brought it back to me. No glass. I ordered their "red eye gravy, biscuits and sausage" with two eggs over easy. I was informed that they do not do eggs over easy, only scrambled. This puzzled me until I was told that their eggs are all powdered. What?? I canceled the eggs and just did the biscuits, gravy and sausage. To my dismay somewhat later I notice the "chef" come from out of the kitchen with a bowl stirring something. He walks up and down the counter area, talking briefly with the staff, and then goes to the coffee machine at the cash register and squirts coffee into the mixture. I realized this was my gravy and he was walking around with no care to what was to be my food. When it was finally served to me, I had two biscuits with a tablespoon of gravy spread on top of the biscuits and the sausage was some over processed link that was so overcooked it was hard on the edges. It was disgusting. I would have complained but the two women were running back and forth between the other tables and I had gotten the impression they did not care. We just got out of there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
RWIndigo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We truly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that the Front Desk staff took good care of you with your king bed room. Your concerns have been addressed with the appropriate Department Managers to ensure issues like these are corrected. We do apologize and hope you come and enjoy us again.
Nanaimo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This property is lovely! A small boutique hotel right on a quite section of the Riverwalk, but still close to everything. Our room was quite small but still well-appointed for the price.
What made our experience a poor one was the employees. From the front desk, to the housekeepers, to the serving staff....no one smiled. Not once!!! None of them look like they enjoy their job...everyone looked pained to be there. The front desk employees spoke as tho' on script. The housekeepers never made eye contact or even acknowledged your presence. The serving staff was particularly brutal. On the two mornings I came down for breakfast, two different servers did not know how to make the specialty coffees that were advertised. Both claimed they hadn't been trained by their manager. One had a pained expression and actually said as she was serving my food "sorry I really not feeling good today"! Brilliant! Just what everyone wants to hear from the person serving their food.
I even invited the front desk manager to sit with me while I explained to him how this hotel could be really amazing if only the employees could get motivated to deliver great service. He nodded and even agreed and promised to pass along comments to the general manager. But no apology was given!!
My guess is that the management at this property does not make a positive atmosphere for employees and consequently guests suffer . My advice...wake up and smell the coffee (which won't be a latte because no one knows how to make one)!

• Stayed August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Rosiegirl2,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review with so many great tips for our hotel. I am glad to see that you commented on what you enjoyed about the hotel as well as what fell below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. Your tips and comments will be shared with the appropriate departments for consideration. We always welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you again. Hope to see you soon.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Overall excellent place to stay if you are looking for somewhere nice on the Riverwalk. Friendly environment and great staff and bartender. The bartender Patrick is very talented and friendly, and went out of his way to find out exactly what we wanted. Over all great stay. Will definitely be coming back again soon.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. It is great to hear that Patrick took good care of you, as well as our other staff members. We hope you see you again soon.
Nanaimo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

...and more helpful but overall our experience was a pleasant one.
Compared to the over-the-top kindness and helpfulness we experienced at other Intercontinental Group Hotels on our Texas trip, the staff here were just going through the motions and I must say we felt a few were disingenuous.
The room was clean and it was fun to have the eclectic decor, but the room was small and did not have good air circulation.
The pros: good price for location (right on Riverwalk), clean outdoor pool, good fitness facility, both outdoor and indoor seating in restaurant, Keurig coffee maker in room.
The cons: small stuffy room, ambivalent or inexperienced staff (could not get a cafe latte because the server did not know how to clean the machine), only average food in restaurant which took too long to get to us,
With a change in attitude, this hotel could be a gem!!!

RWIndigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I will definetly speak with my staff regarding the lack of genuine caring and concern. This is not the way we like our guests to feel while they are here. I will also ensure that all of our restaurant staff are properly trained to operate the equipment. Your comments are very helpful in making sure we give the best customer service we can. We hope you will stay with us again on a future trip to San Antonio.

Holly Evans - GM
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had an opportunity to add a vacation onto a business trip and decided to try Hotel Indigo. Wow! Great decision!!!! It surpassed other considerations such as Embassy Suites and several other places we pulled up. All accommodations on the Riverwalk lack parking and charge daily parking - from the fair to the silly. Hotel Indigo is moderate at $13.00 per day. The courtyard is fifteen degrees cooler as you drive in to register. Yes! It was 103 degrees plus heat index.
The "modern open lobby was refreshing. Excellent attitude by all staff members added a major plus. Seriously, "How can we be of service?". We found it fostered an extra night on our reserved number of two increasing to three. From a seriously talented bartender to great desk service, this teacher gives it an A+.
The room was unusually large and open with clean lines. No "fussy" stuff. Functional yet pleasing to the eye. I wanted to take the bed and bedside lamp home! I personally do like a tub/shower combo but the newish spot has the huge business shower . The bathroom is lovely too but I'd prefer a tub. The mini bar had a refrigerator and ... wait for it....TADA!!!!! A Keurig coffee maker with many options including tea.
The pool was lovely but we didn't use it. Whereas the hotel was amazingly quiet, the pool was covered in loud children. We pretended it was not an option. The business center is in the lobby and consists of three computers and a printer. It was utilized but there were always one or more available for use.
The Riverwalk is incredible! One can board a river taxi down steps off the patio at the rear of the lobby. There is a sidewalk ramp for handicapped access if needed. The steps are steep and there are st least twenty five. Purchase daily passes for $15.00 each and you can ride from 9:00 - 9:00 pm getting on& off as often as you wish. It is well worth going to the Pearl Shopping site and dam at one end or heading the opposite way to the mall. I despise malls but the quality even impressed me. We also went to a movie at the mall if you want some entertainment.
There are more shops and restaurants than you'll have time to sample. Make reservations!!!! Many spots often have one hour plus wait time so cruise, get names and call for dinner. Don't risk it! We did. One time. Did I say don't risk it???? There is also a phone number on the daily ticket. Use it for call in. Use ext. 5. Tell the voice your location and it may still take twenty minutes before an empty taxi comes along.
It is worth riding the city bus and going over to the Mexican Market or calling a regular cab - in the day time only. The Mercado is fun and great shopping as well as great food. Do not drive your own vehicle! Again, NO Parking.
These few suggestions will simplify your trip greatly!

Room Tip: We were on the courtyard and it was great. There is a hospital a few blocks away so we did hear sire...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

From the super nice and always has your back front desk clerk Melanie to the great bartenders Adam, Matt and Patrick this is a great great hotel!! Good prices and always willing to do what it takes to keep there customers happy!!

Room Tip: Try and request a Riverview room with a balcony and if they have any available you won't regret...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk? Share your experiences!