“TERRIBLE!!!” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2131 North I-35, San Antonio, TX 78208   |
Ranked #240 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
“TERRIBLE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Do not stay here!! Worse experience of my life!! I never write reviews but after the experience I had with this hotel this morning I definitely wanted to do this!! Walking into my crappy room there were BEETLES & COCKROACHES everywhere! Dead & alive!! We walked right back downstairs to get our refund and the staff was terrible! They kept saying that it's COMMON for that to happen! NO ITS NOT! I literally had to get in a huge argument with the manager and she still didn't do anything! The only reason I got my refund is because I booked through Booking.com and they had to personally call & complain and threaten to lose their business for them! The "manager" SOFIA is super unprofessional! And I hope she reads this!! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lubbock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Good location. Good service. Good price. Good water pressure. Good lots of pillows. Good hot water. Bad smell in room. Bad smell in bathroom. Bad ac unit. Bad small pool. Bad old carpet. Bad old tv. Bad old blankets.

• Stayed July 2012
Wichita Falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed there to be close to my son's base Fort Sam Houston. Was located right off freeway exit before base exit. Took just minutes to get the downtown SA. Room was clean, staff very helpful & friendly. Dining places within walking distance. Hotel older in need of some cosmetic repair, but was very clean. Most comfy beds with wonderful fluffy pillows 4 on each bed. Will stay here again!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I thought this was a great deal considering the proximity to river walk and booked online looking at the photos that seemed very nice.
Reality is very different. It is a weird area and certainly not for family travel. Right from the moment you step into the lobby, you will sense a weird smell. I felt very dejected and tried to see if I can cancel, but was told that it was non refundable booking. Reluctantly, we thought we'd give it a try and went up. Room was slightly better than the lobby, but the restroom felt crammed and still a weird smell (like an old place). We ended up leaving the hotel in an hour and never looked back.
Spend the extra 30-40 to get a better room and save embarrassment in front of your family.
Most likely you are looking to have fun in the city and this is not where you want to be.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bastrop, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We arrived at the Antonian and I paid for a room with a credit card while my wife waited in the car. I booked a more expensive room because the clerk told me that all of the less expensive rooms were booked. When I arrived back at the car my wife was looking online on her phone and showed me that the Antonian was showing numerous rooms available at the hotel at a lower price through online booking. I returned to the front desk and asked the clerk about the less expensive rooms indicated online. The clerk told me that the rooms were not available and that if we booked a room online we would lose our money because the rooms were not available. I was quickly beginning to feel that we were being taken advantage of. I also witnessed the clerk's interaction with another patron who had a complaint about his room. The clerk was rude and unhelpful to the patron. My wife and I decided that we did not want to stay at the Antonian. I requested a refund on the room booking I had made approximately 5 minutes before. The clerk told me that the Antonian did not give refunds. We had not even gone up to our room at this point. The only sign on the premises concerning refunds stated "no refunds on cash transactions". I had paid with a credit card. The clerk stated again that there would be no refunds regardless of the circumstances. I asked to speak with a manager and the clerk told me that he was the only person that I could speak to. He refused to call management and refused to provide further contact information. My wife and I were highly dissatisfied with the poor customer service we were receiving and we decided that we did not wish to stay at the Antonian regardless of whether or not we received a refund for our unused room. We returned our room keys without ever going to the room. We never received a refund and we spent the night at a Super 8.

I attempted to follow-up with phone calls and e-mails concerning our experience. I spoke with Don Jones on the phone and he asked me to e-mail him with further details about our experience. I e-mailed twice and never received a response. This was a terrible customer service experience and we felt that we had been ripped off. We were dissatisfied with our experience at the Antonian before we set foot in a room and the establishment refused to refund our money. Unprofessional and a poor representation of the hospitality we were expecting in San Antonio. I can only hope that the clerk we dealt with is no longer employed at this establishment, because he was rude, unhelpful, and dishonest.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012 via mobile

Upon trying to check in, it took 20 minutes for someone to come to the front desk. We even tried calling the hotel. That should have been our sign to walk away then. Although the hotel was a short drive to downtown, Riverwalk and Alamo, we were told by two different taxi drivers that its not in the safest of areas. This was confirmed by the 3 nearby gunshots we heard that night, followed by sirens. It also appeared that someone had tried to break into our room on the first floor by the handprints that appeared overnight on our window. Upon close inspection the handprints were definitely on the outside of the window, not the inside. Bathroom was gross. Hairs on bathmat and in the shower, GROSS. The drain was also missing its plug so you couldn't take a bath (not that I wanted to after seeing someone else's hair everywhere). There was also so much rust on the shower. The rust had even stained the shower curtain. The room itself was clean except for the walls which were covered in scuff marks. Chairs also were soiled looking. There was also no additional lock/chain on the door that are normally in hotels, which didn't help with the saftey factor.Definitely would not stay here again. A motel 6 would have been an upgrade compared to this....

• Stayed December 2011
MrDonJones, Ninja Sultan at The Antonian, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
I'm sorry you felt ill-at-ease. We have rarely received this complaint from our guests. Our hotel is located in a neighborhood that is bounded by Ft. Sam Houston, Downtown/The River Walk, and IH35. We have NEVER had a break-in through a room window or otherwise. We are in a city that celebrates New Year's, and judging from the date of your stay, you most likely heard fireworks. I live a short distance from the hotel and I heard a lot of fireworks for several days leading up to New Year's Eve, then a huge amount that night. Our hotel is adjacent to a fire station and near several hospitals, so sirens are quite common. We do not provide chain locks on our doors, as the door mechanism has its own, guest-controlled, deadbolt built into it.

As to the cleanliness of your room, I apologize for any shortcomings in that area. Our housekeepers have been with us a long time and usually get it right. I have canvassed our staff and they report no complaints such as yours being brought to the desk. They made a point of asking our guests this weekend about their stay. I have searched all the accounts that have stayed at our hotel on the first floor for the past several days, and find none that might be you. There is no person with a name that could be abbreviated "Meggy" and nobody at all from San Diego, or even the state of California, as your yelp comments indicate is your home state. Are you certain you have the right hotel?
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Great service, close to downtown, and very clean. I am pleased with my experience and will definitely stay at The Antonian during my next visit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Antonian? Share your experiences!