“Nicely renovated, good location, small pool, parking issues” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Six Flags Package
Ranked #7 of 352 hotels in San Antonio
“Nicely renovated, good location, small pool, parking issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The positives:
Very nicely renovated. I really like the new, modern decor. I saw photos on TripAdvisor of the rooms prior to the renovation, and what a great improvement!

The location being just blocks from the Alamo and Riverwalk was very convenient.

Residence Inn properties are the go-to hotels for our family. I like that there are real 1BR suites, and not just studio suites. We prefer suites with a separate bedroom with a door that closes. These doors were split doors and one did not close easily in our room, but at least we had doors.

My children love that the kitchens are stocked with a bag of microwave popcorn.

I thought the room price was very good for a downtown hotel.

The negatives:
I didn't mind paying $24/day for parking in a downtown situation. I've paid much more than that in Chicago. What really bothered me is that self-parking and valet parking are the same price. I have no idea how they can justify charging self parkers the same amount as valet. Self parking should be cheaper than valet. The other issue we had with parking is that the hotel's garage is very, very small. The first and third floors of the garage are reserved for valet, so only the second floor is available for self-parkers. This amounts to only a very small number of spots. We stayed at the hotel for four nights, and for three of those nights we couldn't park in the garage. The overflow parking is an open parking lot on the block behind the hotel. This seems to be on the cusp of what appears to be a not-so-great area. I did not feel like the lot was secure, there were homeless people walking around inside the lot, as well as others. We spent each day out and about and did not return to the hotel until after 9:00 p.m. every night, and I would not have felt comfortable walking from the parking lot to the hotel by myself at night. Thankfully my husband and children were with me. I've lived in Chicago and NYC and other cities, so I'm not afraid of big cities and downtowns, but I did not like the parking situation as an obvious tourist with out of state plates.

The swimming pool was a joke. I have never seen a hotel pool so small. The photos make it look bigger than it really is and do not give you a good idea of how small the pool really is. And one day while we were there at the pool was closed with no reason posted or information on when it would reopen.

I was surprised that the bathroom did not have body lotion and/or body wash stocked. We only were given shampoo and conditioner each day. It wasn't until after we returned home that I saw on TripAdvisor photos of the toiletries and both lotion and shower gel were in the photo, but we did not have those put in our room on any of the four days we were there. Had I realized they were supposed to have been included, I would have asked for them.

The seating area for the free breakfast buffet is small for as large as the hotel is, and the mornings were so crowded. We had a hard hard time finding a table, and it was so crowded where the food was. The staff had a hard time keeping up with replenishing, as every time I went up, there would be something out. One cereal bin was empty about 10 minutes before closing time, and I kept waiting for it to be refilled, and it never was.

Overall, this was still a very nice and clean property with good rooms and a good downtown location.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for writing this review on trip advisor. You make some very salient points that definitely deserve a thoughtful response.

Until about 3 years ago, this hotel enjoyed a wide array of parking options for downtown visitors and hotel guests. Being a little cynical here, but most of those vacant lots have been replaced with hotels (without parking garages). Thus, parking was not a problem for any hotels unless they were right on the Riverwalk. The Residence Inn Alamo Plaza was constructed in 1997 (with a $6 million dollar renovation in 2012) with 220 suites (33 of those being two bedroom) and a parking garage with 110 spaces. With regulation on accessible parking that has been deminished to 106 spaces. During peak summer months, the car to room ratio sometimes is not just 50% drive in traffic but can sometimes be greater than one car per room. To eliminate the issue of not having anywhere to park, we have secured the services of a valet company to always provide a parking option for our guests. The reason for the same price is to give our guests the option to valet when necessary and self-park when available. Our long term guests (Residences Inn's target market) made it clear that this option was desired. The amount of valet spots changes with occupancy due to that usage. I will contiune to attempt to fine tune that ratio. The attendants will always assist our guests.

I apologize for the size of the pool. The photography although flatering does not employ fisheye lenses but I do see your point. I have taken a similar picture (not as staged) with my own camera phone from the same perspective. I have addressed the size of the pool in a previous review response. This is a common issue with urban hotels. It appears that we have been failing to provide lotion in the rooms as it is a new Residence Inn brand standard. I will remedy this and get that in the rooms, currently it is available upon request. The bodywash is an optional component and will be available upon request from the front desk. Our breakfast seating area as 99 fixed seats with some expandability due to bench and additional seating. The most wonderful seating (in my opinion) is the two tables beside the pool which are very underutiized in full house situations. You caught us at our worst in that items were not restocked promptly on the beffet and I will address that issue. Thanks again for the thourgoughness of this TripAdvisor review and I do apologize for this lengthy response.

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Blackshear, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our trip was to see our daughter graduate BMT AIR FORCE! Our stay was from 7/24/13 to 7/29/13. The location was close to the Riverwalk where all the attractions could be found. We were very pleased with the rooms they were very clean and spacious. We enjoyed having a frig and microwave from leftover food. Breakfast was wonderful in the morning . Fresh fruit, waffles, eggs, ect. We really looked forward to breakfast everyday! All the employees were very nice and willing to help with directions. We were very impressed with front desk person named Deanna. She was awesome! You could tell that she loves her job! Stay here, and you will not be disappointed. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Congratulations to your daughter and by extension you on her US Air Force Basic Training graduation! We get the privilege of hosting many armed forces personnel during stays, trainings, and graduations in San Antonio. It is an honor! I am very appreciative that you chose to stay with us as well as you took the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We have ordered a Marriott Spriit to Serve Award for Deanna in recognition of her positive mention in your review. We will also be recognizing her for her hospitality skills in tomorrow's "stand up" meeting. Again, thank you! If and when travels bring you back to San Antonio, please choose again to stay with us.
Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed one night for business and was very pleased. This Residence Inn looks it's a new hotel (super clean, modern furniture and spotless bathroom). But I asked and learned it was actually not new, only totally renovated in April 2012. The bottom line: I felt like I was staying at a brand new place.
The rooms are spacious, with full kitchen (like all R.I.).
WiFi is free and quite fast. Service was very good. So was breakfast.
Although well located downtown (walking distance to the downtown restaurants + easy access by car from a nearby freeway), it was quiet.
I visit San Antonio several times a year for business and have stayed different places. From now on, I'll stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor and on the courtyard side (such as 1318, 1320, 1322) are very quiet
Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you so much for takng the time to write this review as well as be a guest of our hotel. We look forward to serving you in the future! I will definitely share your review with our maintanance and housekeeping staffs. We all certainly love to hear such positive reviews. I will also be sharing this with the ownership group for our hotel as this certainly would be the types of comment they would love to hear on maintaining the hotel. Again, can't thank you enough for the review and your stay and we do look forward to hosting you on future trips to San Antonio.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This was my family's first trip to Texas, visiting from Canada, and the staff at this hotel could not have made our stay any more enjoyable. The rooms were clean, offering a full assortment of kitchen supplies, including a service in which they will pick up your desired groceries if you submit a list. They allowed us to bring a high chair into our room which greatly facilitated our in-room dinners for my one year old. The people at the front desk couldn't do enough to offer directions and suggestions when we sought their assistance, and they were very friendly to my daughter, offering her free stickers and pool toys on a daily basis. Stay here, and you will not be disapointed!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us as well as taking the time to write this kind review on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate your endorsement and would love to be your hotel of choice on future stays in San Antonio. There is a lot this city has to offer and great to hear that we assisted with dirctions and suggestions. A side note here is that our entire front desk staff are all designated as Certified Tourism Ambassadors (CTA's) recently so it is great to see that the training is paying off. Thank you again!
Albany, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Residence Inn is my favorite hotel, and this one was not a disappointment. The Alamo and Alamo Plaza are just 2 short blocks away, with the Riverwalk just another block or two. Very convenient; we only used our car to go to Sea World and Schlitterbahn. Our room was clean and well kept by the staff, and the front desk staff was exceptionally friendly and quick to provide recommendations and directions. Yes, the parking is expensive, but you can get the room+parking rate to save a few bucks. Free buffet breakfast in the morning was good, but it would be nice if the menu changed occasionally. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post this kind review regarding your stay at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. Great to see that we delivered against your expectations and that you had a great time in this great city/part of the country. Thank you for pointing out Schlitterbahn, we don't point that great water park out enough and it's proximity to outlet malls makes the trip fun for everyone. As you were here during a very busy part of the summer, our hot item variety does not change out as often as keeping up with guest demand can be challenging but doable. Please come back and visit us on your next visit to the Alamo city! Thanks again for the review!
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed for two nights. Very nice place. The staff was courteous and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and enjoying our visit. I was surprised that there is a full kitchen in the room including a full range. I would recommend the hotel. A free full hot breakfast was great with scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, juices, cereals, coffee, fruit, waffles, and other items. Weeknights they have an appetizer and a choice of wine, beer (only one kind), or non-alcoholic beverage for the kids. I would stay there again.

That said, I have only two negative things to say. First, parking is not free, but it is convenient. For that matter, no one has free parking in the area. Second, we thought the beds were too hard. But the manager had someone put extra padding on the beds for the second night, and that helped a lot.

The hotel has a great location on the Northeast side of downtown. Our son was rehearsing and performing at the convention center. The convention center is 5 blocks away, we found a short cut through the mall. The Alamo is a very short block and a half away. There is a new fire fighter museum just down the block. I do recomend parking the car and walking everywhere, though the high humidity will get to you if you are not used to it. Traffic is not fun to negotiate, especially when you consider walking is such a short distance and parking is a huge hassle.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor, and that floor was quiet. Stay up higher for the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for the positive review and for taking the time to post it on TirpAdvisor. It was a joy having you and your family as our guest during your trip to San Antonio. I also thank you for the features and tips you pointed out. I can not agree more that parking can be a hassle and this is definitely a city to walk around in. The Alamo, the Riverwalk, the Convention Center, the Alamo Dome, the museums and all the other attractions are either a walk, trolly, pedi-cab, tour bus, or river taxi away. Taxi cabs of course are always available as well if a side excursion is desired there is a Avis rental car location across the street or a Hertz rental car location in the lobby of the Marriott Rivercenter. Also, thank you for voicing your concern about your bed comfort so we could do something about it. Again, it was a pleasure being your host while you visited San Antonio. Please come back and explore all that this great location has to offer.
Santa Maria, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed 5 nights here while visiting daughter at fort Sam, close to base and convenient walk to Alamo river mall and river walk also walked to tower of the America's. staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet delicious several choices of hot and cold foods, evening reception during the week for guests a nice touch. Downside is the parking is expensive at 24. A night plus tax! And not enough spaces! Pool area is nice but the pool is tiny! Nice grill for BBQ. Cooked in kitchen very nice. Gym area is nice with new equipment. A perfect choice but a but pricey

• Stayed July 2013
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for the kind review of our hotel. I will share these comments with the staff. I certainly understand your perspective of our small pool as well parking expenses. These are common issues with urban hotels. We offer both valet as well as self parking at a $24 plus tax rate which is a below average price for the downtown San Antonio market. Unlike the surface lots in the area, we don't charge again once your car is moved. We try to make certain that our website as well as partner sites fully disclose this. Also, summer weekends are peak season for us and our prices for our suites will fluctuate by season. August and early September are lower priced seasons overall. Again, we are glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and are very much appreciative that you took the time to review your stay with TripAdvisor.

Been to Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza? Share your experiences!