“A few tips for the Residence Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Six Flags Package
Ranked #12 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Denver, CO
“A few tips for the Residence Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have stayed at dozens of Residence Inns and this is very clean, friendly, and professionally run, as almost all of them are. Since it's an urban location, the pool is relatively small vs. other hotels, but they do have one. The room was very clean and appears to have been remodeled in the last year or so. Looks sharp. So do the common areas. The breakfast is free and fabulous.

Room tip: most every Residence Inn I have stayed at had an oven, so I could bake a pizza. These have range tops and microwave ovens, but not a stove. FYI.

Parking tip. Valet parking is $25 and if you park yourself in the hotel garage the fee is almost the same. Depending on your schedule, you can avoid this. There is on street parking. I was here three nights and never had a problem finding a meter parking spot less than a block away. I felt safe on the streets here at night.

The meters are active 8AM - 6PM, Mon - Sat. Otherwise free. It's $0.25 for a hour, and you can pump in the entire ten hours of quarters all at once.

Park over night for free. If you park during the day, it'll cost $2.50 vs. $25.

If for some reason that doesn't work for you, there is a paid "central parking" lot that is around $14 across the street, too.

Hit helpful is this was relevant for you

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a better view. Sometimes hotels do not have enough elevators and that is a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and providing parking tips to San Antonio travelers. The parking meters have changed since your arrival but all might still hold to be true. We don't recommend other parking as we can never keep up with thier rules and breaking those rules can lead to problems. Also, the parking lots rates will change for special occasions and weekends etc. Again, thanks for staying with us and thanks for the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Roseburg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I spent four very comfortable and relaxing nights during our most recent visit to Texas at the Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/ Alamo Plaza. This is a very nice hotel. It had a major renovation about a year ago, so everything looks fresh and new. It is very conveniently located within easy walking distance of the Alamo, Riverwalk, Rivercenter Mall and Alamodome. The font desk staff was very friendly and professional.

We enjoyed the one bedroom suite that we had. It was very comfortable, quiet, spacious and had a nice layout. The suite and entire hotel were very clean and well maintained. The suite had two flat screen TV’s, a full kitchen with granite counter tops, desk, lots of closet space, and nice furniture. The bed in our room was very comfortable with lots of pillows, and very nice linens. The bathroom was nice. As in most Residence Inn, we liked having the bath vanity separate from the rest of the bathroom. The décor was nice, and warm in our suite the lobby and breakfast area. The Wi-Fi worked well in the room and the breakfast room. The climate control for the room worked well. The free breakfast buffet was excellent with a good choice of both hot and cold items. The food was very good. It included scrambled eggs, sausage, make-your-own waffles, juice, coffee, yogurt, cereal, beagles, muffins, oatmeal, and fruit. There are guest laundry facilities on three floors of the hotel.

Parking is $24 a day as either valet parking or self-parking, which is fairly typical for downtown hotels. The only downside of our stay at the Residence Inn was one day when we called down to the front desk asking for the valet to bring our car around, we waited for over an hour in the lobby for the valet to show up with the car. When Assistant General Manager Mark Kent realized the situation he very nicely apologized for the delay and inconvenience, and waived the entire parking fee for the four days we were at the hotel. We greatly appreciated his concern and attention to customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor to avoid street and freeway noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind reivew. Also, thank you for mentioning Mark Kent the hotel's Assistant General Manager by name. I am happy to hear that he acted quickly to a problem. Thanks for staying with us and please come back and visit us in the Alamo City.
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The location of this hotel is great if you can't afford to stay right on the Riverwalk. The hotel staff were quite friendly and accomodating. It was my husband's birthday and they even went out and purchased a card and cake and left it in the room for him. They were very concerned that we were happy during our entire stay. Our stay did start out on a wrong foot by the valet that directed us away from the hotel and told us that their lot was full. After expressing our concerns at the front desk, they made everything right immediately and offered to pay for our daily parking at the offsite lot we ended up in. The room was very bright and stylish looking. The lobby area is a bit small and the breakfast was OK but overall this was a great hotel for us to spend a nice long weekend in the San Antonio area. You can walk to the Alamo/Riverwalk in less than 5 minutes. Please be aware that one side of this hotel faces a bar that has an outdoor live band on certain nights of the week. We were kept awake until 2am on Saturday evening and the hotel was very apologetic about the situation. So be sure to check and see if there is an outdoor band on the nights of your visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor due to the street noise. The windows open so they are not airtight...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I apologize that the stay started off less than smoothly due to your experience with our valet. Also, I apologize for the loudness of the Bonham Exchange next door. We have a great relationship with the managment of that club and although seldom, we do get some complaints due to the noise. I hope that the staff attempted to remedy the situation during that night of your stay. Please come back and see us soon.
Laramie, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights with our 3 teenage children. We had the two bedroom\two bath unit. It worked out great as there was a sofa sleeper in the living room with a third plasma TV. The unit was very clean as well as the rest of the motel. The hotel staff was all very friendly and pleasant. We ate at the breakfast buffet each morning which had a number of different choices. We also took part in the Manager's evening reception and one of the evening dinners. The exercise room was good with 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical and 2 stationary bikes with free weights. There is an outdoor pool and hot tub which was nice but quite small for a property of this size. You are within easy walking distance to the Alamo, The River Walk and the River Center Mall. The location is also convenient for day trips to Sea World and Six Flags - less than 30 minutes and only 15 to 20 minutes from the airport. Parking at the motel is a little expensive - $24 a day whether you park it yourself or have valet parking. Overall a great place to stay especially if you are are travelling with a family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for this complete review. I see you were here during our busy Spring Break season. Great to hear of your satisfaction and again, I can't agree more with your assissment . The cost for parking and the size of a pool is a common point in downtown/urban hotels. Thanks again and please come back and see us and explore all that this great city has to offer.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is only a block or so from the Alamo and other downtown locations. It appears reasonably new and the rooms are very large and well furnished. The beds are comfortable and the showers are good. My room was very clean and quiet. The staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were OK, I have had better in similar establishments, and the breakfast room was often crowded and noisy. The rates are reasonable. Wireless access was good.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. Also, thank you for staying with us. Your point that breakfast can be crowded at times is well taken but that there are also very comfortable times as timing can be everything. Looks like your stay during our Spring Break season was one of those busy all day times. I always try to point out the poolside tables next to the breakfast area as a sanctuary from what can be a very busy area at times. Thanks again and please come back and see us soon.
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are traveling without the kids and visiting downtown San Antonio, I would not stay here. A better option is the Westin Riverwalk which has amazing rooms and a fantastic resturant (Zocca). However, if you are going to need some place to spread out I highly recommend Residence Inn. A one bedroom suite will allow you to put the kids to bed and still stay up for tv/work/etc. Plus there is a kitchen so you can save some money by bringing your own snacks and drinks. The location is a shortwalk to all the attractions as well as the freeways for a quick trip to Sea World. Two complaints - (1) Avoid the 'room service.' It is nothing more than 3rd party delivery and could get better food at a more competitive price by ordering pizza. (2) The valet service is a bit of a mess. Parking is tight so it is still the best option but be aware that a few cars seems to overwhelm the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I apologize for any inconveniences due to staffing or mistakes made by our valet staff. We normally get it right but looks like we failed you during your stay. I will work on that with our vendor. Please when ordering pizza do not utilzie the services of any flyers that are placed under your door. Please ask the desk for a reputable vendor. Thanks again for staying with us and please try us again on future stays in San Antonio.
Everett, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My first business trip I stayed at the Weston for nearly a month and it was a good experience. For my second trip I wanted to try another hotel and I decided to stay at the Residence Inn. What a wonderful 31 days/nights I had here. The staff was friendly and made me feel at home. The rooms I had was very roomy and comfortable and I liked the fact that I had a kitchen and two LCD TV’s to view football games on. The River walk and River walk Mall was just down the street after passing the Alamo. The River walk is awesome and I enjoyed my nightly visit there. The hotel served breakfast daily (eggs, sausage, cereal, toast, waffles, fruit, yogurt, coffee) 7 days a week. Monday through Wednesday they served free beer/wine with sandwiches, wigs, etc. All said, I would say this is the place to be if you are to stay for several weeks. The previous hotel (Weston) made me feel like a caged tiger when I went back to my room, while the Residence Inn made me feel like I was going home … yes I felt like it was home.

Room Tip: If you are to stay for longer then two weeks - stay here. You will be comfortable, relaxed, and hap...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review and the pointing out about the extra space that a Residence Inn suite offers. We certanly thank you for staying with us and if future plans bring you back to San Antonio, please stay with us again.

Been to Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza? Share your experiences!