“Wonderful hotel...awful circumstances” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Salem
New York City, New York
“Wonderful hotel...awful circumstances”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed here with my husband and 2 year old son in April. The facility is wonderful, room was lovely. However...there were people in the pool who were clearly drunk and had their kids in the pool...come to find out by speaking to them that they were not even guests of the hotel!!! They used the pass of someone who lives in the condos there. Also, there were extremely loud guests running around, banging doors and wreaking havoc well past 1 AM...waking up my son multiple times. I complained at the time, as well as check out and was given a very small reduction in my rate, but I was satisfied, especially when the manager told me to call the next time I wanted to visit, so that I could make sure we would have a good experience. Well imagine my surprise when I call today to make reservations for my anniversary and was told that there is the biggest wedding of the year that weekend, so it would not be a good time for us to come. WHAT??? How about checking to see if there were rooms available away from the wedding party? How about SOMETHING to make me feel like you paid attention when I explained how my last experience was ruined??? Nope, just a "not a good time to stay here." Lovely. I will NEVER book there again. And seeing as I always recommend a good place highly to my many business and personal contacts, I will be CERTAIN to steer them away from this place...unless they are getting married, since apparently that's the only time customer service seems to matter!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
jda192, Manager at The Salem Waterfront Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed review of your recent experiences with us. On behalf of the entire team here at the Salem Waterfront Hotel, I would like to personally apologize for the two less than accectable experiences that you had with us. This is by no means the experience that we strive to provide our guests with. Please contact me at 978-619-1100 or via email at jarruda@salemwaterfronthotel.com and I will personally handle your reservation request and make sure that your next experience with us is truly a Salem Waterfront experience!

1,071 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Hackensack, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for business on and off for the past 6 months. It is hands down much better than any other option in the area. The rooms are very nice with great quality amenities. The staff provide exceptional levels of service. This is an excellent value in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Portsmouth, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Check-in was fast and efficient.
Front desk staff provided excellent information to our questions.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
jda192, Manager at The Salem Waterfront Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Front Office was so excited to read your kind words. We truly have an efficient and friendly Front Office team! We hope to see you soon.
montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed here for a night on our way up to New Hampshire, and were very underwhelmed. I thought from the description and other reviews it would be much nicer. It was expensive (granted, this town tends to be), a very small room, and had NO view (don't be fooled by the "Marina" part). Staff were fine, and the bed and breakfast package helpful, but the place has a really cheesy look to it, our door barely closed due to CHEAP construction, just had nothing interesting about it at all in this town of so much history! I'd pass and recommend a B&B (which all had 2 night minimums which is why we couldn't do it) instead. Be sure to see the Salem Witch Museum and the memorial...both worth it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Chatham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Stayed in the last few days. Initial problem with our suite. Too near ice maker. The problem was immediately sorted by front of house. Reception staff were both helpful and courteous with a smile on their face. Rare these days. Rooms are a good size. Excellent location for seeing Salem. Good fish restaurant near by Finz
Dave and Orla Farrell

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dave & Orla: Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to see that the room location of your original room was quickly rectified by our friendly Front Office team! Finz is a great restaurant and I am glad that you could experience their great cuisine only steps from our front door. Come back soon!
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I choose to stay at the Salem Waterfront Inn on my weekly trips to Salem due in large part to their friendly, courteous and accomodating staff. They are always friendly, helpful and accomodating.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

This is the ONLY review you need to read! :) My name is Heidi Marani and I just spent my wedding weekend with 50 guests at the Salem Waterfront Hotel. To put it mildly, I was a PERFECTIONIST BRIDE that needed my 1 million details to all run smoothly. I must have called the Salem Waterfront Hotel no less than 100 times before the wedding with questions and requests for my guest's stay. That is not an exaggerated number - just call and ask for Ryan at the front desk and he can confirm! Everything was PERFECT! When my guests arrived they were greeted with a chef in the lobby making shrimp and pasta! The rooms were impeccably clean and a nice size, the front desk service was friendly, prompt and courteous, and the food was DE - LIC-IOUS! Our guests raved about breakfast, lunch and dinner at The Regatta Bar, and our brunch was plentiful and yummy. Parking for our guests was free which is a nice bonus, and Pickering Wharf is a great location that offered so many great options for our friends to enjoy over the weekend. Whatever we needed, the Salem Waterfront Hotel accomodated quickly and with a smile. As a bride I had so many things to concentrate on and worry about - but I was in great hands at the hotel and would recommend it everyone. My husband and I are frequent travelers and have stayed in hundreds of hotels. We have high standards when traveling and we were elated with the hotel for our wedding weekend. That was our third stay at the hotel in the past year and my husband and I cannot wait to get back for another visit! RAVE REVIEWS FROM THE MARANI'S!

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina view if possible