“Took a chance..” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Took a chance..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were in Salem and my 10 year old son chose this place to go for dinner. My husband checked trip advisor, and saw the varied reviews, but my son was insistent, so we stayed and sat on the patio. I think this was our favorite part because it's right near a fountain. All of us were pleased with our food. We ordered cheese and crackers and fried pickles for appetizers. The cheese and crackers were wheat thins and spreadable "pub cheese." it was pretty good and my kids love cheese and crackers, so it was a hit! We didn't get a ton of fried pickles, but they were thicker slices than what we've had before and they were delicious. My husband ordered a combo plate with pulled pork, smoked sausage, and smoked wings. He enjoyed the meats and baked beans immensely, but was less impressed with the coleslaw, and corn bread. I ordered a pulled pork burrito which included beans, rice, coleslaw, and rice wrapped in a flour tortilla. It came with chips and (homemade?) salsa. To me the salsa was very watery, and I prefer mine to be thick, so I didn't like that but the burrito was very good. One son ordered chicken fingers and the other a cheese burger. Both were happy and the fries were hand-cut, crispy and delicious. Service was not over the top, but she was pleasant and efficient. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to other families!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

74% Recommend
Beverly, MA
“Never again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is my second visit to the Village Tavern. The first visit we had nachos and burgers. Food was good. Upon walking into the restaurant tonight for my second visit we were excited to order. It was my friend's first time. She ordered a large salad bowl with romaine lettuce and well done chicken. The "large bowl of romaine was white (I think it was the inner core). The small amount of diced tomatoes and cucumbers was a joke. It did not have any chicken. We sent the salad back and when it was brought out they added a few extra greens mixed in the same salad. The manager did come by to see what was the problem. Please don't advertise LARGE and bring a small salad in a large bowl. We ordered two sides of vegetables that were cold and in a tiny ramekin bowl ($3.95 each). Our waiter was closing out for the evening and brought our bill. We paid and sat in the restaurant for a while longer. NOT one person came up to us and asked if we would like anything else. The restaurant inside was dead. I watched 3 staff members walk by and never acknowledge us. The manager was walking around talking on his cell phone. He never came back to check on us after the initial visit. I will never go back again but if you want to get a good burger or app. I guess it is okay. I work too hard for my money to pay for a lousy meal and so-so service. Salem has too many other restaurants that are more worthy of our time and money.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
toronto
“Maybe it was an off day”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Visited on a Tuesday afternoon. One waitress seemed to be serving the entire patio. My husband's beer order came incorrectly(size), When he questioned the waitress she was very augmentative. Smoked wings appeared under cooked. Very little crisp to the skin. Chowder was so so. Not as good as I would have expected so close to the water. Service was very slow. All the other diners seemed to be waiting an extended period of time for orders. If visiting Salem pick somewhere else for lunch..

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“great stop :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

it was really busy so we sat at the bar to have lunch and the food was awesome, the sevice was even better. we will return next year. it was a great stop for lunch and a hot spiked coffee in the middle of a cold october day.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Putnam, Connecticut
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

As my friends and I headed up North to Salem, MA for a girls getaway.. We came across a secret treasure.. the Village Tavern... On our way to the restroom we saw a sign pointing to this tavern and to our surprise... what a delight! The place had your typical tavern like environment including TV's, Shuffleboard, and Sports garb all over, but what a great place to eat! Fresh cut French Fries, perfectly cooked chicken on a toasted roll PERFECTLY, and spruced up baked beans... This meal was absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection. Our server, a young dark haired gentleman, was constantly at our beckon call ( there were 6 of us ladies) and did a marvelous job making sure we were happy. I cannot wait to go back! Oh- also indoor/outdoor entertainment as well. Super!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Village Tavern? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Village Tavern, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.