“Chowda! Chowda!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
“Chowda! Chowda!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The best fried seafood around! Clams and shrimp were great! Not to mention the chowder and clam cakes. Didn't have any, but was told by family that the seafood stew was wonderful as well! It's not real easy to find, but worth the effort!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Salem, Massachusetts
“Best fried food around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Have been a life long fan of Dube's until about 6 months ago when we were very disappointed....seemed like the oil was old. However, we were dying for fried shrimp and clams last nite and decided to give them another try...sooooo glad we did! Right back to the old beloved Dube's!!!! Best fried clams and shrimp around these parts and the onion rings are to die for!

• Visited December 2012
San Fernando, California
“Great Seafood in Salem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I first read about Dube’s on Trip Advisor and then asked at our hotel (The Hawthorne) and they said it was good so we thought we’d give it a try. It is not in the center of Salem where all the tourist things are but we had a car and ventured out. We did get a little lost, but made it there in the rain and we are glad we did. With a car, it’s not too far. This is a little family-owned neighborhood restaurant in a residential area. It looks like it’s been here forever with their older looking interior, but that was part of the charm. My sister and I split a Fisherman’s Platter with fried scallops, flounder and haddock on a huge bed of fries. It was excellent. Every last mouthful of fish was delicious. It came with a little paper cup of coleslaw but that was not particularly to our liking. We like coleslaw more creamy and not so vinegary. We had the Fisherman’s Platter in a restaurant in Gloucester and Dube’s was much better. Even in Maine, we compared the fried fish dinners to Dube’s. We knew we hit on something great here. The wait staff was also very nice and friendly. It was a perfect choice for mouth-watering fried seafood. I’m sure if we ever get back to Salem, Dube’s will be on our list of places to eat!

• Visited October 2012
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“It's the fried clams, stupid!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm going tonight, first time in months!

Usually I'm a great experimenter with food, but at Dube's I don't know what anything else on the menu is like, because I just can't make myself get anything but the fried clams or one of the combo fried seafood plates. And the onion rings.

The fried food is crisp and light, almost like tempura. Sometimes I'm on the west coast for six months at a time, and when I get back, I remember all the fabulous food I had there-- but no fried clams. I recently learned that these local clams are soft shelled, and don't travel well, so maybe that's it. But there are lots of bad fried clams in Massachusetts, so accept no substitute.

The fried haddock, flounder and scallops are excellent, also. Shrimps-- well, who knows where they're from? Probably a factory farm in SE Asia, but they're ok, just not as fabulous as everything else.

The menu shows a large onion ring and a small one, but if you ask, they'll make you an even smaller (and cheaper) one. 9.5 times out of ten, the onion rings are fabulous. NOT frozen, not mass produced, but individually cut and battered and fried. Every once in a while they're not as wonderful as usual, and I don't know if it's that the batter was a bit old, the oil wasn't hot enough-- I don't know, then they're just ordinary.

And much as I love onion rings, a small order, and a seafood / clam dinner, is ALWAYS enough for two. Though I've seen plenty of people order a whole meal, (they (the [people] are usually very big,) I've learned my lesson. The seafood is so great hot, and it's only hot for a little while, and it's impossible to reheat it and have it edible-- so I always tell my guests-- let's order one plate, and if we're still hungry we can order more. And we never do.

The seafood is served on a bed of french fries which are not extraordinary in any way and serve mainly to keep the seafood warm. I always ask for a warm plate, which is a foreign concept in America, but why put hot food on a cold plate?

This restaurant is a one-off, nothing like it, probably looks the same as it did 50 years ago, dark, kind of lumpy booths, the classic middle-aged waitresses.

It's the clams.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Peabody, Massachusetts
“Excellent Seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Been going here for years. Little hole in the wall but it has the best food. Huge portions, great service. Worth the price! I would suggest splitting a fried seafood plate or getting a clam roll instead of a hole plate because they hive you a ton of food.

Visited August 2012

Been to Dube's? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Dube's, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.