“Lovely evening!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grapevine Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 214 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Derby Street
Transit: Bus #450, 451, 455, 456, 459, 465 are all with in walking distance as well as the commuter rail on the Newburyport/ Rockport Line
Description: The Grapevine would like to invite you to a genuinely unique experience. A newly opened Mediterranean kitchen & wine bar, the Grapevine brings together old world values and a new world vision. Chef Frederick Feliz has been with The Grapevine for three years and passionately creates exceptional Mediterranean fare with an emphasis on local ingredients and slow food.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lovely evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Lovely evening at the Grapevine, start to finish. First, the restaurant recently expanded seating, so there were plenty of tables available on a Saturday night. I love this. Next, the waiter was extremely professional and polite. Then our food came quickly, starting with two appetizers of steak tartare and a caesar salad. The steak, which came with crostini and aioli, was so clean, so light, I could easily have had 2 or more servings. The salad, which was a genuine caesar with long anchovies, was fresh, salty and flavorful. Then my friend and I shared two main dishes, a special of risotto with lobster, shrimp, parmesan, and pancetta, and a goat-cheese stuffed gnocchi with lobster and squash. I'm not the biggest fan of goat cheese, but even so, the second dish was again, very fresh, clean and flavorful. I loved the risotto, especially the quality of the lobster and shrimp which were perfectly cooked and had great "bite" (well, the shrimp anyway). The owner stopped by to check on us/the other tables, and I find this a classy, lovely touch to a very nice night.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hidden gem! Fabulous wine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My son picked this place based on Trip Advisor recommendations. The reviews were good but this place is great! The server was very friendly and service was excellent. The place has nice ambiance w white table cloth ( elegant) but the best was the extensive wine selection. They offered wine from several countries. The best part was u can order by the glass! Great place to go with foodie friends for fine food n wine!

boston
“Good menu,good eats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Grapevine is a terrific restaurant one keeps rediscovering. Extensive, creative mend. Value for money. Great wine choice. And to-die-for desserts. Well worth a visit.

Visited November 2013
Salem, Massachusetts
“Something's wrong....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We've been going to The Grapevine for years. I'm talking, like 20+ years, since it first opened. Last night my wife and I went to listen to a friend who was performing there. It was on a Monday and it was at the start of Restaurant Week. Like I said before, we'd been going here for a long time; special dinners, celebratory events, important night's out, we've always thought of The Grapevine. The last time we were there was right after the new owners took over. That experience was spoiled by an obnoxious, pretentious, self righteous bar tender/wine sommelier who preached and bored us to death as we tried to enjoy a meal. OK, so now that guy is gone, and we went back. We sat at the bar, so we could listen to the music we came for, and being restaurant week, was offered the special menu. My wife and I opted to split a meal, as we often do. When we asked the bartender about this, she said: "Oh no...we can't do that. The whole point of restaurant week is to offer up a menu at a lower price and it would be too much effort for the money for the kitchen to split up the meal onto two plates." Really? Was she kidding? My wife was shocked! How crazy is that? Just to be sure, she asked: "Are you saying it's too much work to split a salad and an entree onto two plates?" She said that was insane, said we have been customers for years and was ready to leave, and the bartender just nodded, but added that she would ask the kitchen. Well, it took some time before she came back, but she finally did, and in a tone that was just 'perfect', said: "they'll make an exception this time".
Put quite a damper on the whole evening. When the Caesar Salad came out, it was OK, nothing spectacular, but OK. The main dish of pasta bolognese, was, I am happy to say, fabulous. OK, that parts down, and then I asked for a cup of coffee to finish my meal with. Not OK. "Oh, our coffee machine is broken."....Really? It's Restaurant Week where you are trying to introduce your place to new customers.....and your coffee machine is broken?......Needless to say, despite the fact that this place has been great in the past, given the attitude received by this bartender....that's the last time I'll ever set foot in there again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Had gone here for restaurant week and visited again - worth the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I had gone here for restaurant week a few years ago and just never made it back. We had just gone to Finz that evening and had a terrible experience of being not seated after 45 minutes WITH a reservation and left there. I had remembered that we had had a wonderful meal at the Grapevine and decided to try to see if they could take us with a reservation. We walked right in at 7:45 on a Saturday night and sat right down. We had Cassandra as our waitress and she was just wonderful. I avoid gluten and the restaurant was very accommodating in response to my inquiry to a gluten free menu. They made some great suggestions. For an appetizer, I had the Butternut Squash soup with Chive oil. Just delightful! My husband had the Grilled Clams, my friend had the duo lamb chops and her husband had the Warm Roma Tomatoes. Everyone raved about their choices! For dinner they suggested for me the House Brined & Roasted All Natural Half Chicken with potatoes instead of the gluten filled starch, my husband had the Porchini Ravioli, my friend had the Sopa de Pescado which had a Tomato-Saffron Broth, Local Cod, Clams & Shrimp, Rustic Bread and her husband had the Grilled Flatiron Steak. Everyone LOVED about their dinners! Served in a timely manner I must add, we finished with a couple of chocolate mousse and a creme brulee desserts and what a meal! The waitstaff was really attentive and respectful. I would go back in a minute. I recommend highly!

Visited November 2013