“SALEM WITCH MUSEUM FOR HALLOWEEN” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 44 attractions in Salem
Type: History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The World of Witches Museum is a different witch museum located in Salem, Massachusetts. This museum is designed and operated by Rev. Don Lewis who has written over 9 books on the subject of witches and witchcraft. This museum takes you through Neanderthal times all the way up to modern day witchcraft and witch trials still going on today. So, if you ever wondered why witches are green, fly on brooms and have pointed hats this museum is for you.
Albany, New York
“SALEM WITCH MUSEUM FOR HALLOWEEN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I just fulfilled a life-long dream of going to Salem for Halloween. I am not really into spooky stuff, but I am interested in the witch trials. I thought the museum had a nice A/V presenttation which gave you a good idea of what the times were like. There was aqlso a small museum area, and a good gift shop. The town itself was perfect for Halloween.

Visited October 2012

Brisbane, Australia
26 attraction reviews
“Overpriced and overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

For about $15 per person expected more than sitting on benches in a large room for 15-20 minutes looking at lighted room settings with a taped commentary. Have seen more on TV on NatGeo and Discovery. The room next door had some interesting glass showcases about the witchcraft story and then a large gift shop.

Struck me as a big money spinner for the proprietors. Mildly interesting but there are so many other priorities in the Boston area besides this, in my opinion.

pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
“Very Underwhelming!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

You are herded into a large round dark room where there are various tableaux showing scenes from the history of the Witch Trials in Salem. The narration is pedantic and the tableaux which are illuminated in turn are pretty blah - this is not Disney animatronics!! If you are against the walls you can't even see the tableax behind you! The second part of the tour is merely a means of getting you into the gift shop! Save yourself some money and give this place a pass!

Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Horrendous, racist & rude-a good time!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have a very high tolerance for kitch and quirk, but this was truly horrible. From the moment we bought our tickets on, we were treated rudely, and led through a museum that I probably could have created in my apartment with minimal effort and a single trip to Goodwill. The exhibits posters looked like someone's 6th grade science fair presentation, and the tour guide clearly thought she was better than us, but she really wasn't. A highlight was being informed, in a confident tone of voice, that parents "in Africa" routinely kill their children when they don't sleep through the night or cry, because they believe that they are witches, or witch possessed, and families "over there" don't have the education to know that good parenting involves not killing your kids. When I asked for more information, or any kind of proof whatsoever, I was told by our tour guide that this is happening in Nigeria, where children with disabilities are also killed by "those people" partly because exorcisms are expensive, so killing the child is easier, and that this common knowledge. When I said that this bold statement about Africa seemed generalized and racist, and that I found it really hard to believe that parents would kill their children routinely, I was told that if I was more spiritual, I would understand, and that there is plenty of proof on the internet. We did not tip, due to the racism and overall crappiness, and when I said that, our tour guide cursed us...by literally leaning out the door of the museum as we left and cursing at us. F you too, world of witches museum. At least she didn't key my car.

Visited January 2012
“Wtf”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

The worst tour ever we came from nj to see this. You'd think Salem would have better museums given the history, they apparently don't know what a museum is and should take this one amongst others off the map. The walk to the "museum" was more historically informing than the museum itself. Don't waste money