“Overpriced and overrated” 3 of 5 stars

57 Wharf Street, Pickering Wharf, Salem, MA 01970
Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 68 things to do in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: The World of Witches Museum is a different witch museum located in Salem, Massachusetts. This museum is designed and operated by Rev. Don Lewis who has written over 9 books on the subject of witches and witchcraft. This museum takes you through Neanderthal times all the way up to modern day witchcraft and witch trials still going on today. So, if you ever wondered why witches are green, fly on brooms and have pointed hats this museum is for you.
Brisbane, Australia
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Overpriced and overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

For about $15 per person expected more than sitting on benches in a large room for 15-20 minutes looking at lighted room settings with a taped commentary. Have seen more on TV on NatGeo and Discovery. The room next door had some interesting glass showcases about the witchcraft story and then a large gift shop.

Struck me as a big money spinner for the proprietors. Mildly interesting but there are so many other priorities in the Boston area besides this, in my opinion.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Horrendous, racist & rude-a good time!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have a very high tolerance for kitch and quirk, but this was truly horrible. From the moment we bought our tickets on, we were treated rudely, and led through a museum that I probably could have created in my apartment with minimal effort and a single trip to Goodwill. The exhibits posters looked like someone's 6th grade science fair presentation, and the tour guide clearly thought she was better than us, but she really wasn't. A highlight was being informed, in a confident tone of voice, that parents "in Africa" routinely kill their children when they don't sleep through the night or cry, because they believe that they are witches, or witch possessed, and families "over there" don't have the education to know that good parenting involves not killing your kids. When I asked for more information, or any kind of proof whatsoever, I was told by our tour guide that this is happening in Nigeria, where children with disabilities are also killed by "those people" partly because exorcisms are expensive, so killing the child is easier, and that this common knowledge. When I said that this bold statement about Africa seemed generalized and racist, and that I found it really hard to believe that parents would kill their children routinely, I was told that if I was more spiritual, I would understand, and that there is plenty of proof on the internet. We did not tip, due to the racism and overall crappiness, and when I said that, our tour guide cursed us...by literally leaning out the door of the museum as we left and cursing at us. F you too, world of witches museum. At least she didn't key my car.

Visited January 2012
Deerfield, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This tour is a great means of learning some of the local facts quickly and effectively.

Visited October 2011
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“very disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I have visited this place several times while living in Salem., and have occasionally attended some ot the rituals.
From a historical perspective, it is somwhat interesting.
There is a good selection of books and other items.
Ther readers, Terry (Stone Lady) and Therese are ethical and demonstrate sensitivity.
However, I am disppointed in the 3 psychic readings that I received from (Rev) Don Lewis.
One of them was fairly expensive. However, all were very inaccurate.

Visited January 2011
Beaufort, SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Place, Great People. Well worth the trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This is the only place of it's kind in Salem. World of Witches not only has a bit of history but represents what Witch Craft and Wicca are today. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. A great place to visit!

Visited August 2011