“Even the kids loved it - twice!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 56 things to do in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: This cinematic Monster museum is dedicated to all those who have entertained us in the world of Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi! Actors, directors and special effects wizards of the past and present are all honored here with over 60 life-sized realistic recreations of the horror's genre's most memorable characters. With NEW yearly additions it is safe for all. During OCTOBER, the monsters come to life making Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery Salem's Scariest Haunted house but during the rest of the year, the monsters are quite calm and won't move at all. See you soon!!! Be sure to CHECK OUR CALENDAR on our site for times to best enjoy your visit!
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Even the kids loved it - twice!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Honestly, I thought it was going to be hokey and dumb. My husband loves old horror movies and monsters. So, he dragged me and the kids in. I was worried that the kids (ages 6 & 8) would be scared. The man working assured us that they would be okay. We spent two and half hours wondering around! The kids asked about every monster. My son bought a shirt and my daughter was inspired to dress as Linda Blair for Halloween that year. We went back two years later and loved it all over again. We would definitely recommend this museum as one of Salem's finest!!!! Fondly, your biggest fans from Michigan.

Visited August 2013

Salem, Massachusetts
“Favorite museum in Salem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The first time I visited Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery was in 2010, and it immediately appealed to the horror fan in me. I love the atmosphere in Salem MA and New England in general, but this was the only place in town that didn't try to sell me on that atmosphere, or the tragic history associated with Salem. It sold me pure, guilt-free fun with unique movie-quality replicas of costumes and props from many of my favorite films, and incredible life-like likenesses of the actors and actresses that made me love them.

Since then I have moved to Salem MA and I make a point to visit at least three times a year. The Gallery routinely adds new figures, so each trip offers some fresh fiendish face. And the curator knows his stuff; he's quick to answer any questions about the exhibits or the movies they represent. With no other attraction of this kind in the area, he could afford to be lazy, but I've never found him anything but friendly and courteous and eager to engage the customers in discussions.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other museums in Salem as well, and if I was an art buff, I'm sure the Peabody Essex Museum would rank higher on my fun-o-meter than Orlok's. But I'm a horror movie buff, and I can think of no better place to spend my free-time than here.

I've read reviews by people who didn't seem to enjoy this museum. In each case, the complain has actually been about the haunted house that the museum hosts in October. It's true that this is not the scariest haunted attraction in the world, but it's still a lot of fun to see done up for Halloween, and every October they have celebrity guests like Kane Hodder and Heather Langenkamp, at no additional cost.

Easily worth the price of admission for anyone that loves horror films, and at least worth a look for everyone that comes to Salem and wants to see something different.

Moira, New York
“Great place for anyone who loves horror movies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

First place we stopped at when we arrived in Salem, and was not disappointed. If you love horror movies, this is an awesome place, would recommend it to anyone visiting Salem. One of the best attractions, would go back. Figures/monsters are realistic & great quality, along with a bit of information about each one. Owner was very friendly & informative.

Visited November 2013
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
“Amazing if you love horror movies and everything about it this is a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I love the museum I been going for a few years now the owner james is a cool guy and the figures inside
Are outstanding 5 stars a must do if your in salem mass

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“Terrible Haunted House”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We went to the haunted house in October and what a waste of time! We waited in line for 2 hours (to be exact) freezing for a 5 min (yes we timed it) not scary, completely ridiiculous "haunted house". Not sure how this place is still open? It was so ridiculous. We were in complete awe when we saw it ended after just 3 not scary rooms. They let in small groups every 10-15 minutes. With the tour only lasting 5 min, I think the 'actors' are just sitting around keeping warm in between.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!! We didn't see any of the people coming out, so we couldn't see their reactions. We did however, come back around after we were done and told several people to not bother.

What a joke and waste of an 2 hours and 5 minutes! Would never return and hopefully you don't either!

Visited October 2013
CountOrlok, Manager at Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
We are sorry that this reviewer had a bad opinion of their experience at Count Orlok’s Nightmare Gallery. I remember this person. They seemed to be the only people having a bad time. I asked them to try not to ruin the experience for other people when they came back and started randomly ranting to people in our line. And they did indeed look cold. As always, we aim to make each person’s experience the best it can be. Most people really enjoy the haunted house. I see people leaving the haunted house portion of the program breathless, smiling and or screaming all night long. I must point out some of the actual facts of the Haunted House experience. I do not know when exactly when this person visited, I cannot say how long they spent in line but NO LINE AT ANY TIME was over 1.5 hours and that was on THE BUSIEST day of the year on the Saturday before Halloween. We know, however, that no wait that day was 2 hours long. We are constantly aware of wait times and we try our best to make them manageable, while also making the time spent inside the Haunt as lengthy as possible. Theoretically we could probably shorten the length of the line by shortening the length of the Haunt, but we would not want to do that, as it would compromise the Haunted House experience (which we won’t do). The program in the first room of the Gallery is in-and-of-itself over 4 minutes long (and then the patrons are led further into the Haunt), so the whole experience would certainly be longer than the reviewer claims and is generally between 9-14 minutes. Furthermore, their claim of time we were letting people in is inaccurate as well. Most of the time we were letting larger groups in every 4-5 minutes. The experience also depends on how much time that person takes in the haunt which is up to them. The time spent inside can also vary according to the people in the tour. How fast they chose to walk and how scared members of the group are contribute to the time spent. We never hurry people along, as we want each person’s experience to be the best it can be. We also like to encourage all of the patrons to the Haunted House to let themselves be “in the moment” and enjoy it, immerse themselves in the scene we are setting, and actually be open to the experience of being scared and having fun. If a patron chooses to walk through and ignore all going on around them, has their guard up, or is "FREEZING" and isn't willing to go where we are trying to take them, it doesn't surprise us when they don’t have as good of a time as we intend and would like. In both the reviews this person left on their experiences in Salem, they spoke about freezing. Perhaps they should have prepared better. Maybe this person should have brought a coat. It is October after all. Maybe their report on their experience would have been more accurate if they were comfortable. The fact is, is that unfortunately try as we may, we cannot please everyone but "Terrible” is not a word we are used to hearing. The museum and haunted house have many who come back year after year. Most of our reviews are overwhelmingly positive and speak for themselves. Perhaps this reviewer would prefer to visit Salem during warmer weather? Reviews like this always make me wonder if they were at the same place I was.

Been to Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.