“Wonderful Location” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: One can take the commuter train to and from Boston, The "T", about a 25 minute ride. The station is a 10 to 15 minute walk from Capt's. Taxi service is available by phone. There is ferry service available from Boston - near the New England Aquarium to Blaney St. in Salem - a 10 minute walk. There is a sight-seeing trolley service that stops here.
Description: Waterfront dining at its best! Capt’s Waterfront brings the biggest and best charcoal grilled steaks to diners on the North Shore - GUARANTEED - and an incredible selection of market fresh seafood. Capt’s hand selects only the best and highest quality cuts of locally sourced steak and seafood. With its combination of exceptional charcoal grilled dishes, contemporary New England cuisine and an unparalleled location, Capt’s Waterfront is the premier location to dine on Pickering Wharf in Salem, Massachusetts. Downstairs, find a refined bar section; upstairs, the Topsides Dining Room & Deck provide a more intimate setting. Regardless of your seating arrangement, immaculate views and incredible cuisine provide for a memorable meal in one of the state’s most historic locations.
Hampden, Maine
“Wonderful Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A fine choice for a summer lunch or dinner. Right on the waterfront and very comfortable chairs on the deck. Good food and the waitress was wonderfully attentive. The music from inside (live singer) was a bit too loud for us.

Visited June 2014

“Trouble in the kitchen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I went here last night. Absolutely terrible. The service was nonexistent. Staff said it was shift change problems. Took almost 20 minutes to get our order taken. I had the shrimp scampi which was good, but my husband's fish was undercooked and placed top of his fries. Soggy fries- not edible. People at the table next to us had cold oyster bisque which had to be sent back and another table got a completely wrong order. All in all not a pleasant experience.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Salem, Massachusetts
“For tourists only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

There are several excellent and a few more very good restaurants in Salem. Unfortunately, this one does not fit either category. The food is just average, and when crowded (with tourists) the service is very slow. I live here, and the surest way to rate a local restaurant is to see who goes there. No one who lives in Salem goes more than once - enough said. Location is wonderful - I just wish the food was as exciting as the location right on Pickering Wharf.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
DirkIsbrandtsen, Owner at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
I am sorry that you did not have a truly excellent experience. But I, as owner of Capt's, I am also more than dismayed that you chose to disseminate false information about our restaurant. We have literaly hundreds and hundreds of enthusiastic local fans from Salem, Marblehead, Beverly and all the surrounding towns. And we are proud to serve them as well as the multitude of out of town guests who the locals recommend us to.

Please feel free to contact me personally so that I can entice you to pay us another visit.

Anchorage
“Worst food ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Ordered lobster risotto to start and it was the nastiest tasting thing I have ever put in my mouth. Caprese salad, which is hard to mess up, was mediocre. Tomatoes were not ripe or flavorful. Waiter was nice and really tried but the food just wasn't worth it. Only good thing was the view.

Visited May 2014
I am truly sorry and very surprised that you did not find our Lobster Risotto to your liking. That is one of our most popular dishes and receives rave reviews all the time. If you could take a moment and email me (dirk@capts.com) with some more specifics, I will look into the matter personally.

We would also be pleased to provide you with a gift certificate to try us again on your next visit.

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
“Large Rehearsal Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The staff at Capts did a superb job helping us host our large rehearsal dinner there. Dirk was the most patient and kind person, very professional and helpful in our planning. The exceptionally friendly staff of Heather, Tyler, and Jana went above and beyond helping us get set up and creating a beautiful and elegant evening. Our guests enjoyed the atmosphere immensely, the food was timely and delicious, and service during the meal was outstanding. I would highly recommend Capts for a special function.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your kind words. We very much appreciate them and, even more, we appreciate the fact that you selected Capt's for this special event. Thank you again.

Dirk Isbrandtsen

If you own or manage Capt's Waterfront Grill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.