“Good view and burger.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: One can take the commuter train to and from Boston, The "T", about a 25 minute ride. The station is a 10 to 15 minute walk from Capt's. Taxi service is available by phone. There is ferry service available from Boston - near the New England Aquarium to Blaney St. in Salem - a 10 minute walk. There is a sight-seeing trolley service that stops here.
Description: Waterfront dining at its best! Capt’s Waterfront brings the biggest and best charcoal grilled steaks to diners on the North Shore - GUARANTEED - and an incredible selection of market fresh seafood. Capt’s hand selects only the best and highest quality cuts of locally sourced steak and seafood. With its combination of exceptional charcoal grilled dishes, contemporary New England cuisine and an unparalleled location, Capt’s Waterfront is the premier location to dine on Pickering Wharf in Salem, Massachusetts. Downstairs, find a refined bar section; upstairs, the Topsides Dining Room & Deck provide a more intimate setting. Regardless of your seating arrangement, immaculate views and incredible cuisine provide for a memorable meal in one of the state’s most historic locations.
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Good view and burger.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Went during off hours and had an upper deck table on a gorgeous day. Ordered the bbq burger and it was great.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
DirkIsbrandtsen, Heather, Manager at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
This is great to hear, Leann! I'm so pleased that you had nice weather and were able to enjoy the deck and a BBQ burger. I hope you'll be back to see us again soon!

Alaska
“Poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were told that there was only one waitress serving the downstairs and there would be about a 20 minute wait. The place was really crowded and I can't imagine only one waitress. We were seated outside beside a table that already had been served. I think we were forgotten about several times because of were we were seated. They were out of lobster mac and cheese at 6:30. It is a seafood restaurant and it is dinner time - really??? The crab stuffed sole was quite good, but the lack of service and the fact that they were out of what we wanted so early in the day ruined the meal. The Black Lobster was so much better. My recommendation is to go off the beaten path and try the steamed lobster at the Black Lobster.

Visited August 2013
DirkIsbrandtsen, Heather, Manager at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I'm very sorry that you experienced slow service — I understand how frustrating that can be. It's also unusual for us to run out of Lobster Mac & Cheese, and I apologize for that as well. It is of course an extremely popular dish, but it isn't the norm for us to come up short. Thank you for your feedback, and know that I'll be following up with our staff on these points.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Crabmeat Stuffed Sole, and I hope you got to enjoy some nice views of the harbor from our deck. We'd love to have you back someday if you're up for giving us another try.

Northern Virginia
“Average food with nice views”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The food was average, but the view was very nice of the friendship replica tied up the the pier. My wife and I both ordered the lobster roll. It was average, and the fries were average. Nothing to write about, but nothing to complain too much about. I would have preferred some better breading to go along with the adequate amount of lobster and celery. The fries were crisp enough, but not terribly tasty. Not bad, not good, but good enough to get us to dinner.

The drink service was pretty good considering how packed the place seemed to be... although I know a few tables seemed to have to wait a little longer than we did. We sat inside in the AC on the 2nd floor and I would suggest it as a nice place to relax out of the sun, although I would try something different than the lobster roll. The clam chowder was good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I appreciate all of this feedback, and I'm happy you had good service and a nice spot in the AC! I'm sorry you felt the lobster rolls and fries were just average, and I'll definitely pass that along to the kitchen, along with your compliments to the chowder. We are of course always looking to improve, and I hope you'll give us another shot to impress you next time you're in the neighborhood.

Thanks again,
Rockland, Massachusetts
“Spectacular scallops, view, and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Grew up in Salem but only visit family occasionally who still live nearby. Parking can be difficult but we lucked out with a space opening up just a few steps from their front door. We were told our wait would be 20-25 minutes yet after just ordering drinks our table was ready! The scallops were delicious!! Which was fortunate since all three in our group ordered the same meal. The view was fabulous. We could not have been any more pleased with our late lunch on the deck.Salem harbor is just beautiful on a sparkling summer afternoon. Our server was personable and attentive and did not mind us lingering a bit before leaving. Highly recommend Capt's !

• 5 of 5 stars Food
DirkIsbrandtsen, Heather, Manager at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
What a beautifully written and thoughtful review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm so glad to hear that you were seated quickly and enjoyed the fresh scallops and a lovely view of the harbor. It's also great to know that your server was attentive and you were never rushed. Why hurry on such a relaxing summer afternoon? I hope you'll come back and see us again very soon!

Waltham, Massachusetts
“A nice evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our first trip to Salem so we wanted something with a view and with something different. My husband loves lobster and although pricey he ordered the charcoal cooked lobster, different, and it was moist and sweet. I ordered the lobster mac and cheese which was loaded with flavor. I barely ate half so it made a great lunch the next day. I ordered the lobster bisque which was creamy & tasty and I suspect some was used in the mac & cheese. Hubby had clam chowder it was nice and smoky but somewhat average for New England. I would avoid the Caesar salad which missed the mark with capers and bland dressing. We also had the lobster risotto, but it was too starchy and not creamy, avoid it. We had a nice view of the inlet and our server was very attentive. We will return and I would recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks so much for sharing this thoughtful review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your lobster mac and cheese and that your husband was a fan of our charcoal cooked lobster—both very popular items of which we're particularly proud! I will take your feedback on the other dishes into account, and I'm delighted to hear that you had great service and a nice view. We can't wait to have you back.

Take care,
Heather, Manager

If you own or manage Capt's Waterfront Grill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.