“Feel Like Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stepping Stone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stepping Stone Inn
19 Washington Square North, Salem, MA 01970   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Feel Like Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The owner provides a very friendly, welcoming stay. Feels like you have been invited to stay at a family member's home. We used to live in a historic home, so we felt very comfortable with the quirks and charm that come with a home built well over a century ago. The owner kindly asks guests to turn off the TV after 11 pm, and that is much appreciated since sound travels easily in older homes with hardwood floors. It is evident from the first moment that Mr. Brick truly wants you to enjoy your stay. Breakfast worked well for all since it is laid out and ready between 8:30 and 10 -- no waiting. My daughter was pleased with the cereal selection, and I enjoyed the hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and tasty apple cinnamon bread. Pleasantly surprised to have wi-fi available, which was great for planning the next day's visit. Can't beat the location -- next door to the Salem Witch Museum, around the corner from the Visitor Center and Essex Street, and just a block down from a garage where you receive a pass to park safely. Reasonably priced for the location.

Room Tip: Derby Room faces the street -- good views of the activity outside. Shower stall is a little tight...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
So glad your stay made you feel like family and I can say it is truly my pleasure to have you selected to stay here at the Stepping Stone Some good points make and other people who are coming to Salem know what to expect. Thanks again John

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I recently traveled to Salem from Canada and were amazed by the beauty of the town. We found this B&B fairly easy as it is located dead center of the historic sites. We were greeted by John the inn keeper, an extremely friendly and helpful individual. We were given a tour of the premsis, a parking pass and answers to all the questions we had about the area. The room was clean and what would be expected of a 160 year old house. Some people complain because the rooms and shower are small, but what do you expect? It's not a countryside home. The room more than served its purpose. As I said, free near by parking is provided in a secure parking garage, free wifi, a light but nice breakfast is also available. John can answer all your questions about Boston and can provide you with bus and train schedule times. The location is across the street from a beautiful park, an assortment of restaurants and multiple historic sites. I forgot to mention, if you spend 2 nights or more you are provided with free passes to the witch museum. We were more than happy with this place and I cannot say enough nice things about our experience. We will be back next summer.

Dustin Mitchell

• Stayed August 2012
thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with me hare at the Stepping Stone Inn I know how busy people can be so I say thank you and it helps others who are coming to Salem to know what to expect. Look forward to seeing lyou soon thanks again JOHN
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have been a guest at the Stepping Stone Inn on 4 different occasions over the past 13 years, visit number 4 was very recently. I have also recommended the Inn to friends who were visiting Salem over the years and they have all come away with the same experiences that I have had so I feel that I can provide a fair and reasonably accurate description of a stay at the Stepping Stone.

The one thing you will see in common with most of the reviews is that the Inn is run by a very friendly Inn Keeper (John). I can indeed back that up, John certainly goes out of his way to make you feel welcome and always has a smile, he is also an excellent resource for getting ideas and information pertaining to area attractions, restaurants, etc... The Inn itself is kept clean and has a very homey feel.

I and those I have referred to the Inn have found that staying at this house certainly augments a visit to Salem where you are surrounded by fascinating old homes with a lot of history behind them, staying in this house built circa 1846 kind of brings you into that old home charm mindset during your stay. The property is also , as many have pointed out, located within a 5 to 10 minute walk of the Harbor and most of Salem's key attractions. The surrounding area is studded with old homes and buildings and is a wonderful place to just walk around and learn about all the history.

Here is a description of the Inn, each room has its own decor and personality and each room is named after an historical person from Salem's past i.e., Hawthorne, Pickering, Derby,,etc.. Something that is important to me and I am sure many others is that there is no sharing of bathrooms between guests, every room has its own bathroom, however, some rooms contain their bathrooms and showers within the room itself, while other rooms have their bathrooms located right next to or adjacent to the bedroom. So in some cases you would access your bathroom without leaving your room, while in other cases you may need to step out into the hall and walk into your bathroom which would be adjacent to your room, literally by one step. I have had the occasion to stay in both types and its really 6 of one a half dozen of the other, if you have a preference I would mention this to John when making your reservation.

Each room is furnished with some nice wooden pieces, some have rocking chairs, others armoires, dressers, and each room has a queen size bed, I know at least one of the rooms at the Inn has 2 queen sized beds (I stayed in that room on one of my visits). The rooms have their own TV complete with cable. There is a common living / sitting room on the first floor (The Inn is 3 floors with 2 rooms on the third floor and the remainder on the 2nd floor). On the first floor next to the sitting room there is a nicely appointed dining room and from 8:30 to 10 AM John puts out an assortment of fruit, breads, some muffins, a variety of Cereals, hard boiled eggs, cheese, coffee, and juice.

Now for those of you who have never stayed at a small Inn or B&B, keep in mind its a little different from a hotel. You are not going to find a lot of shiny chrome, room service, or bell hops...however, I can tell you that in the case of this Inn, John works very hard at being a great host and concierge and from what I have seen during each visit he honestly enjoys ensuring that his guests are enjoying their stay not only at the inn but on their ventures throughout the town, as I said earlier he is a great resource for getting feedback on the town and attractions.

I only have one piece of feedback for the Inn, my visits have all been great, but the only thing I would have wanted different during my last visit is for the Air Conditioner to have been on a little stronger, I stayed over some hot and humid days and the rooms were just a little stuffy during this last stay (not overbearingly)

Overall I would tell anyone reading this as I have my own friends that the Stepping Stone is a terrific place to stay if you are going to Salem.

Room Tip: When booking your reservation let the inn keeper John know what you are looking for so he may be abl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
It was wonderful to talke the time to write and ( I mean write your review.) I feel that a lot of hard work I have put into the Inn is paying off and it helps to let people know what to expect. Thank you again and the A C has been taken care have a good see lyou soon John
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stepping stone inn is located in the right place and John is a great guy.

Couple of things I would recommend to John is make sure you either dust all the rooms and or vacuum all the duts with a hand held. Make sure you wash all the bed spreads upon each check out and maybe invest in a better breakfast.

For the price John charges in the area it is a reasonable deal. I just think John could make a couple of adjustments. As far as hosts John is super. We will definitely stay here again but feel theses few changes would help out with your INN.

Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I have taken your response and to let lyou know that all those things have been taken care of and the ladies may over looked ( which they should not have done) but once in a while things do happen . Now for your comment on the breakfast there are two things I need to point out to you First the city of Salem health dept must issue a lic for a commercial kitchen which I do not have. There fore What I serve in the morning is what is allowed my the Health Dept. I follow there directions and follow the rules. Second Point being one person I cannot serve a full brk ( if that is what your were expecting . So I do my best to give people what I feel a good breakfast in themorning I really did not understand you remark about investing in a better brk. Some people are happy with what I do and others likel your self wish there was more. Sorry but is what I can do and feel I do it right. Thank you and hope this answers your question. Have a good day John
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Only stayed one night during our tour of New England and found this to be the most expensive and also the most rundown. John was very friendly and you certainly couldn't fault him as a host, however we had the room in the eves which didn't have its bathroom inside the room, you actually had to go out into the public area to use it (even though you had sole use). I didn't like this, especially at night with a young son. Maybe the other rooms were better if they had proper ensuites.

Room Tip: Ensure you have an ensuite in the room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I must say I feel bad that y ou did not like the Inn but in responding to your comment I take pride in the Inn and have never had any one call it shabby. I take offense to that comment. You forgot to mention that your were a party of four. with small children. When you looked at the room you were told my me John that was a private bath. If it was not acceptable you should have said so at the time and i would have been happy to find a place for you to stay. We both would have been happy. The second point I h ave not had a problem(until now) with people staying in the room with the private bath out side ( you just had to open the door and step in the bathroom ) I take pride in the Inn and work to make every one happy so they can enjoy their stay. Once again I am sorry you felt that way but do want to say again you should have said something . Sorry it was not what you wanted but I will continue to work to make sure all who stay here are happy and very satisfied with there room . Have a good day and safe travel s
Kutztown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The rooms are so comfortable, and the inn keeper made you feel like family. The place was very clean, and right in the middle of Salem. Walking distance from everything. I would recommend this to all my friends!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Just wanted to say thank you so mluch for taking the time to express your happy experience while staying with me at the Inn. I know how busy people can be so when you take the time I really appreciate your review. Hope to see you again in the future and as a Inn Keeper it makes me feel when people say thank you for keeping the Inn in good shape
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed two nights here and enjoyed our stay. The Stepping Stone has a very homey feel and has a fantastic location on Washington Square. We were able to walk to everything we wanted to see in Salem.

John is a very gracious host and puts on a fantastic breakfast. He also gave us good recommendations for local restaurants and points of interest.

Our only complaint was that our bed was very hard and uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I wanted to say thank you for the review and that I feel bad that the bed you were sleeping in considered was not what you wanted. I ordered the bed s I had asked to be not too soft or too hard but just firm. well certainly talk to the company about comment. Its always a pleasure to have people feel good about your stay at the Inn. I thank you for your comment and hope to see you again some time, Have a good and as always safe travels john

Been to Stepping Stone Inn? Share your experiences!