“living in history” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stephen Daniels House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stephen Daniels House
You added Stephen Daniels House to your Saves list
1 Daniels St., Salem, MA 01970   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Saginaw
“living in history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

i was in salem tracing my ancestor who was hanged there as a witch in 1692. staying in a house that that was built in 1667 gave me the feeling i could experience somewhat how they lived. the architecture and hardware and the fireplaces were very interesting considering they were 345 years old.one of the most enjoyable parts of the stay was the engaging conversations we had with the hosts, kay and robyn.they were very solicitous of our needs and went to great lengths to make us welcome. i found our conversations informative and interesting.. what a great place to experience salem. i won'r forget it. i highly recommend the daniel's house.

Room Tip: stay in the large bedroom
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I enjoyed staying at the Daniel House B&B during my trip to Salem. We traveled up the coast and I must say that this was our favorite place to spend the night of all the places in New England. I wish we had an extra day in Salem.
The house was built SO long ago and the innkeeper has kept it in it's original beauty. I have never seen so many beautiful artifacts in one place.
In the back of my mind I thought I might get woken up with sounds or ghosts or something, but no luck...slept like a baby.
I will be back and spend more time in the Daniel House.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
robin m, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Hi Thank you for joining us at the Daniels House. It was a pleasure having you as our guest. My name is Robin I wish I could of met you that weekend but I was out due to surgery. I am glad you found everything so satisfying. Please join us again and I hope to meet you next time! Sincerely, Kay and Robin!
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I really enjoyed this bed & breakfast. The hosts, Kay and Ana, were very nice and great people with which to have conversations. The house has many, many knick-knacks that took me back to living at my dad's house... even to the point that returning at night the naturally creaking boards below your feet really put me in the moment. The house is amazing and clean. I'm definitely looking forward to making another trip to Salem!! :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ana S, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It was such a pleasure to have you stay @ the inn! I hope your ride home was uneventful and that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hope to see you again soon. Please remember to tell all you friends you Slept Back in Time @ The Daniels House. * Also would love to see some of the pictures you took. :) You can find me on FB or post time to our website... DanielsHouse1667.com :) Stay well and Blue Skies, Ana
Port Clinton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

This Bed & Breakfast is authentic, more like staying in a museum. The rooms are pretty much like they were in the 1600s, with the modern conveniences there, but barely noticeable. Occasionally I ran into Kay and/or Anna and enjoyed a chat, some local history and a cup of tea. It's most enjoyable sitting at the large table in front of a fire place, chatting with other guests. It's also a very quick jaunt to the mall, shopping and restaurants on Essex Street. Also, close to Pickering Wharf. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. It was comfortable and interesting, and I spent time wandering the rooms and looking at history. Many people leave small messages and trinkets in drawers and cabinets to be discovered and you could tell they also felt it was a special place.

Room Tip: I believe the prettiest room is the one they called the Rose Room on the 2nd. floor. If I get back...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Astra713, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review but most of all thank you for staying with us. Looking forward to a return visit. Be sure to tell all your friends how you slept back in time @ The Daniels House. Be well! Ana :)
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

If your staying in Salem this is the place to stay! It's like staying in The House of Seven Gables. It's from the 1600's & looks it, but that's whats great about it. It really is like going back in time. We stayed with our 12 month old son & 2 other couples. We had the whole 2nd floor to ourselves. I did feel like a cat was sleeping on me the 1st night. They believe there is a ghost cat. Which if your staying in Salem your hoping to come across something spooky :) Now if your looking for a high end upscale hotel this is NOT the place. It was clean enough & had just what we needed. We didn't see Kay all that much & it's a good thing shes hard of hearing because we do like to party. She wasn't to happy we left beer bottles out, but who can blame her. She could come across not so nice at times & make you feel like you are in trouble, however Anna balances her out. Anna was lovely & made you feel at home. Great muffins. If your looking for a GREAT breakfast go to RED's! Also you can't beat the price & location. If you have any questions feel free to write me.

Room Tip: The great room was the biggest. Try to book with other couples so you get the place to yourself
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dawn, thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to review the inn. I hope the upcoming holiday season is one filled with many blessings and cheer! Be well and blue skies, Ana. PS Please tell all your friends you slept back in time* @ The Daiels House. (Home of the ghost cat) :)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We visited the Daniels house at the beginning of October, for Haunted Happenings kick off in Salem, Mass. Kay the owner, was pretty scary when we first met her...but, truly we stayed here, BECAUSE of the history and creepiness of the place. She made us feel like we were in trouble when we first arrived...we arrived late, and she had been waiting for us. She sent us to our rooms, which truthfully need repair and work...BUT, you couldn't deny that it was exactly what we signed up for...The beds were pretty comfortable, but, there was SO MUCH to see, there were staircases everywhere, and an unbelievable amount of VERY COOL period pieces. dishes, portraits, antiques, pots, kettles, ducks, trinkets, etc. It was pretty cool actually. We had one playful ghost, that had fun moving things around...but, honestly, all imagination aside...we had a nice stay.
If you are looking for all the frills...this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a very cool and unique experience...please stay. Although we didn't see Kay much, her lovely helper Ana took very good care of us, and she knows alot about the house. After muffins and coffee the first morning, she gave us a little tour of the house, and gave us ALOT of history. This home was owned by the same people for 300 years. It is 400 years old...and looks it! Ana told us they are upgrading and doing some repairs...but, I am sure that nothing of the "flavor" of the place will be changed...that would be sad.
The location is GREAT...we walked all over Salem, from here, had a lot of fun with ghost tours and shops, the parade, etc. What a great place to visit!

Room Tip: The twin room is rumoured to have the most "un explained activity"
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Ana S, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Hi Loren, Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I hope you and the "girls" are all well. Please send our regards. I enjoyed the time we all got to share and am so happy that you where here at the same time as Alexander! New friends are always nice to make. Hope to see you back at the inn! Stay well and blue skies, Ana
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Kay and Ana are wonderful and we really enjoyed staying here. The house is absolutely amazing and everywhere you turn there is something new to look at. We wish we could have stayed longer.
This B&B is as authentic as it gets. If you're looking for something modern, shiny and new then this is not the place for you. However, if you're looking for eclectic New England charm then stay at Kays. They also have a website now: http://www.danielshouse1667.com/default.html

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your wonderful review. It was our pleasure to have you in the inn! Thanks for sharing our website!! Hope to see you back at the inn soon! Stay well and blue skies, Ana.

Been to Stephen Daniels House? Share your experiences!