“Awesome place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stephen Daniels House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stephen Daniels House
You added Stephen Daniels House to your Saves list
1 Daniels St., Salem, MA 01970   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Denton, Texas
“Awesome place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I enjoyed staying at the Daniel House B&B during my trip to Salem. We traveled up the coast and I must say that this was our favorite place to spend the night of all the places in New England. I wish we had an extra day in Salem.
The house was built SO long ago and the innkeeper has kept it in it's original beauty. I have never seen so many beautiful artifacts in one place.
In the back of my mind I thought I might get woken up with sounds or ghosts or something, but no luck...slept like a baby.
I will be back and spend more time in the Daniel House.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
robin m, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Hi Thank you for joining us at the Daniels House. It was a pleasure having you as our guest. My name is Robin I wish I could of met you that weekend but I was out due to surgery. I am glad you found everything so satisfying. Please join us again and I hope to meet you next time! Sincerely, Kay and Robin!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I really enjoyed this bed & breakfast. The hosts, Kay and Ana, were very nice and great people with which to have conversations. The house has many, many knick-knacks that took me back to living at my dad's house... even to the point that returning at night the naturally creaking boards below your feet really put me in the moment. The house is amazing and clean. I'm definitely looking forward to making another trip to Salem!! :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ana S, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It was such a pleasure to have you stay @ the inn! I hope your ride home was uneventful and that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hope to see you again soon. Please remember to tell all you friends you Slept Back in Time @ The Daniels House. * Also would love to see some of the pictures you took. :) You can find me on FB or post time to our website... DanielsHouse1667.com :) Stay well and Blue Skies, Ana
Port Clinton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

This Bed & Breakfast is authentic, more like staying in a museum. The rooms are pretty much like they were in the 1600s, with the modern conveniences there, but barely noticeable. Occasionally I ran into Kay and/or Anna and enjoyed a chat, some local history and a cup of tea. It's most enjoyable sitting at the large table in front of a fire place, chatting with other guests. It's also a very quick jaunt to the mall, shopping and restaurants on Essex Street. Also, close to Pickering Wharf. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. It was comfortable and interesting, and I spent time wandering the rooms and looking at history. Many people leave small messages and trinkets in drawers and cabinets to be discovered and you could tell they also felt it was a special place.

Room Tip: I believe the prettiest room is the one they called the Rose Room on the 2nd. floor. If I get back...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Astra713, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review but most of all thank you for staying with us. Looking forward to a return visit. Be sure to tell all your friends how you slept back in time @ The Daniels House. Be well! Ana :)
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

If your staying in Salem this is the place to stay! It's like staying in The House of Seven Gables. It's from the 1600's & looks it, but that's whats great about it. It really is like going back in time. We stayed with our 12 month old son & 2 other couples. We had the whole 2nd floor to ourselves. I did feel like a cat was sleeping on me the 1st night. They believe there is a ghost cat. Which if your staying in Salem your hoping to come across something spooky :) Now if your looking for a high end upscale hotel this is NOT the place. It was clean enough & had just what we needed. We didn't see Kay all that much & it's a good thing shes hard of hearing because we do like to party. She wasn't to happy we left beer bottles out, but who can blame her. She could come across not so nice at times & make you feel like you are in trouble, however Anna balances her out. Anna was lovely & made you feel at home. Great muffins. If your looking for a GREAT breakfast go to RED's! Also you can't beat the price & location. If you have any questions feel free to write me.

Room Tip: The great room was the biggest. Try to book with other couples so you get the place to yourself
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dawn, thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to review the inn. I hope the upcoming holiday season is one filled with many blessings and cheer! Be well and blue skies, Ana. PS Please tell all your friends you slept back in time* @ The Daiels House. (Home of the ghost cat) :)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We visited the Daniels house at the beginning of October, for Haunted Happenings kick off in Salem, Mass. Kay the owner, was pretty scary when we first met her...but, truly we stayed here, BECAUSE of the history and creepiness of the place. She made us feel like we were in trouble when we first arrived...we arrived late, and she had been waiting for us. She sent us to our rooms, which truthfully need repair and work...BUT, you couldn't deny that it was exactly what we signed up for...The beds were pretty comfortable, but, there was SO MUCH to see, there were staircases everywhere, and an unbelievable amount of VERY COOL period pieces. dishes, portraits, antiques, pots, kettles, ducks, trinkets, etc. It was pretty cool actually. We had one playful ghost, that had fun moving things around...but, honestly, all imagination aside...we had a nice stay.
If you are looking for all the frills...this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a very cool and unique experience...please stay. Although we didn't see Kay much, her lovely helper Ana took very good care of us, and she knows alot about the house. After muffins and coffee the first morning, she gave us a little tour of the house, and gave us ALOT of history. This home was owned by the same people for 300 years. It is 400 years old...and looks it! Ana told us they are upgrading and doing some repairs...but, I am sure that nothing of the "flavor" of the place will be changed...that would be sad.
The location is GREAT...we walked all over Salem, from here, had a lot of fun with ghost tours and shops, the parade, etc. What a great place to visit!

Room Tip: The twin room is rumoured to have the most "un explained activity"
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Ana S, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Hi Loren, Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I hope you and the "girls" are all well. Please send our regards. I enjoyed the time we all got to share and am so happy that you where here at the same time as Alexander! New friends are always nice to make. Hope to see you back at the inn! Stay well and blue skies, Ana
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Kay and Ana are wonderful and we really enjoyed staying here. The house is absolutely amazing and everywhere you turn there is something new to look at. We wish we could have stayed longer.
This B&B is as authentic as it gets. If you're looking for something modern, shiny and new then this is not the place for you. However, if you're looking for eclectic New England charm then stay at Kays. They also have a website now: http://www.danielshouse1667.com/default.html

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your wonderful review. It was our pleasure to have you in the inn! Thanks for sharing our website!! Hope to see you back at the inn soon! Stay well and blue skies, Ana.
Upstate NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

To begin, this is a unique property. It is old, and was added to over time to become the home it is now. I had expected to love this experience. We have stayed at many B&B's both in the states and abroad, so I am no novice. I've seen it all. This will be a non-romantic, no nonsense review for this property. :)
This property does have an enormous amount of character, but is slightly challenged in the areas of comfort and basic convenience.
( Be VERY wary of excellent reviews from reviewers that have only one "contribution". Just saying. it's a growing concern with all reviews sites.)

Do not expect the "usual" B&B experience here. This is more of a unique destination in and of itself, than your typical B&B. This is not to say anything bad, but to make a point.
As to rates, that was $150 per night for the Great Room, tax inclusive, for two adults.

The original part of the home was built mid-1600's, more being added mid-1700's. But, as in most very old homes, the very old "updates" don't look as we would expect period homes to look. And if the "updates" are not maintained, but allowed to succumb to time and wear, they take on an aspect that is both very interesting and slightly off putting. Paint and plaster peeling, and buckling, lend visual impact, but quickly lose their charm. That being said, it is a very unusual and a unique place to stay.

The bed rooms are of a very good size. The beds are small. You will not find a bed larger than a double bed at this property. I am certain the reason is that the staircases/ceiling heights will not allow for a larger sized mattress and box springs to be used. The bed in the "Great Room" was comfortable. The linens were acceptable, although they were not changed for fresh ones during our two night stay. We were not given the "option" - they were simply not changed. I have not found this to be the usual case with Bed and Breakfasts.

Likewise with the bath "linens". There is a very ....rustic....chest that is full of towels and washcloths (no hand towels that I saw), and once you use some they are not replaced if there are any remaining in the ...rustic....chest. There are paper towels for use as hand towels. There is a flimsy TV tray thing covered in contact paper that guests can use for their toiletries. The sink is a pedestal, so there is no counter space at all. The tub is not unique except that it is converted to be able to be used as a shower. It drains very slowly, and the water pressure fluctuates. Both to be expected in older properties. Ladies, bring your own mirror if your make-up application is important. The mirrors on-site are "wavy".

The house is in a very convenient location. However, it is on a one way street with VERY limited parking. Many Salem streets are one way. Parking is a small driveway which can accommodate two cars - one behind the other. "On street" will get you a ticket according to Kay, the owner. Plus, you'd be lucky to get on street parking even at the tail end of the season. Be prepared to play shuffle the car - you won't want to be trapped behind another guest who has gone off sightseeing on foot and you need to leave to catch a flight!! This address is only a few blocks from the House of the Seven Gables, and the ship, etc. Very nice location.

Breakfast is not a prime feature. Clearly. The table was set with a bread plate for each guest and a paper napkin. Anna - the B&B owners physical therapist turned helper or assistant (?), greeted us at "breakfast", and offered us juice, coffee, an assortment of single serve size cold cereals, and/or muffins. We had juice, coffee, and muffins. The juice and coffee were fine. Coffee in a mug - no cup and saucer service. The muffins were very modest and unassuming. There was no jam or butter, no knives or forks. Anna played hostess for a bit, until Kay eventually joined us for a chat at breakfast. She is charming and interesting, also very opinionated. She is hard of hearing, so speak up!

The floor plan is "round and round", and as far as I could tell there are three staircases. Lots and lots of fireplaces - most seem to be working fireplaces. You have to request a fire laid if you'd like one in your room. I would have loved to be able to REALLY explore what was behind all of the doors, but decided not to ask Kay. I'm not "nosy", but I am a very curious person when I see odd little doors and lots of staircases!

No doubt it is a really special place, in a special town. I did find two nights to be quite sufficient, and a second stay not on my list of things to do.

If you want something very different, and are not concerned with the niceties, you will find it very comfortable for a night or two. If you need a modern bathroom, king-sized beds, ample parking, and a full American breakfast - this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Stephen Daniels House? Share your experiences!