“Musty, cobwebs - Museum not B&B” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Stephen Daniels House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stephen Daniels House
1 Daniels St., Salem, MA 01970   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Cdn in Scotland
“Musty, cobwebs - Museum not B&B”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

The overhwelming musty smell was the key reason for our extreme reaction - deciding not even to stay the night. My wife and I could both feel the mustiness in our chests, even after leaving the window open for a couple of hours to have dinner. Add a few cobwebs and that was it, we decided to move on.

To be fair, the bathroom toilet, sink and shower did look clean enough. Also to her credit, the owner innkeeper Kay was reasonable enough not to charge for the night despite our backing out.

It is a bit of a shame because entering the house itself is like stepping back in time to the 18th century. Everything has character - uneven floors, worn wooden staircases floors, irregular walls, old furniture, working fireplaces in rooms. There is too much stuff in the house though. Taking away a lot of the clutter to enable the place to be spotlessly clean and to get rid of the mustiness would turn this place into a unique star of the B&B world but until that happens it really is only suitable for people with a really strong chest, no sense of smell and no allergies.

PS there is no WIFI provided by the premises. Connectivity comes at the mercy of neighbours' unsecured networks, which may or may not work throughout the house.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Awesome, historical, no purple ropes, secret notebooks, hidden rooms, authentic to the max, 3 main staircases plus several more 'tweeny' ones along-side of the fireplaces that you can use!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

If you want to instinctively start listening for sounds of breathing in the darkness when you wake up at night you will love this place. I really enjoyed the antiques and feel of the place, but it is far from as clean as it should be. There is a lot of dust piling up in the corner of the rooms and I was afraid of the shower curtain. I felt sad that the place is not better kept. I want to be afraid of the weird dolls and the darkness, not to take my shoes off in the bathroom.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I loved, loved, loved the Stephen Daniels House! We actually stayed in September 2009, and we couldn't have asked for a better, more charming inn. The history in Salem in general and the Stephen Daniels House in particular is worth the price of admission... and what a price! It cost the same at SDH for 2 rooms as any other Salem B&B for 1 room. Kay is awesome, has great stories, and makes great muffins. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!!

• Stayed October 2009
Wilbraham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Honestly I've never been to a place more weird. And though it was not very clean, I would go there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Cardiff , South Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Words are simply not enough to describe what a wonderful experience I had visiting Salem. For me it was a truly magical place. From the very first moment I arrived and stood outside the Daniel's House I knew it would be memorable. Upon entering we were greeted by Sabrina the wonderful landlady's cat who apparently always greets all newcomers. She was immediately followed by Kay (the landlady) who was welcoming and friendly. Kay is a real character and entertained us at breakfast with her tales about the history of the house.

The house looks as though it has been frozen in time and the antiques Kay has collected over the years are amazing and really add to the overall atmosphere of the house. It's strange but when I first explored the house I thought “how am I going to sleep here when the lights are out ??” (I have a wild imagination and was sure that if I was ever going to experience something supernatural , this was the place it would happen). Unfortunately I didn't see anything but I enjoyed listening to Kay's stories of what other guests had claimed to have experienced but her down to earth and light-hearted nature is what entertained both me and my partner the most.

If you're a bit of a wimp like me and are thinking about staying here I will put your mind at rest because the Daniel's house is far from sinister and scary. In fact after the first night I was wishing we could stay longer , I was beginning to feel right at home . I'm planning to go back , so that says it all really. :)

A wonderful , wonderful,wonderful place!!!! - I can't wait to go back .

See you in the future Kay and Sabrina !!

Robert and Stephanie x x x

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I went to the home with my sister, niece and a frend ( just a girls weekend) the rooms were clean. The inn keeper ( Kay) was so friendly and a real joy to be around. We enjoyed every morning sitting and talking with her and other guests.The history of the home and the things the Kay had around her home were wonderful, she knew so much. We loved that we just parked the car and were walking distance from down town. It ws great to come back from a day of site seeing to relax in a quiet friendly home.

The parking was the only problem I could have had if the Inn would have been full. It is a two car driveway, but the people were so friendly and had no problem when we asked to move their car. We would go back there again as it is a touch of history making us feel like we went back in time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Stephen Daniels House? Share your experiences!