“A very scary night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

You added Hawthorne Hotel to your Saves list
Hawthorne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Washington Square West, On Salem Common, Salem, MA 01970   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20 Restaurant Voucher!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portsmouth, VA
“A very scary night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

My wife and I both saw a figure in our room in the middle of the night. I woke up to what I thought was something rub against my feet and saw a dark transparent figure just hovering there. I stared at it for a few seconds in disbelief and was shocked to see my wife wide awake starting at too. She told me later that she thought she felt something rubbing against her leg and woke up right before I did. The figure floated backward towards the wall accross from the bed and seemed to pass right through the wall and disapear.

Despite the fact that it was a nice hotel and the staff was very friendly we just couldn't stay there anymore because we were both too scared. While we were packing our things, my wife noticed that her gold necklace was laid out in the shape of a heart on her nightstand. Neither of us remember putting it there that way which freaked us out even more.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
This is the kind of review that I am at a loss over what to do. We really have no control over what people might feel in this regard. I wish there was something that I could do.

I can only report that T.A.P.S. did a paranormal investigation at the Hawthorne Hotel several years ago, and that they would be very interested to know more about this guest's experience. However, there are no details here that I could present to them.

If any future guests want to know more about the TAPS investigation, it is available on YouTube for viewing.

Thanks to this couple for their kind words regarding how well-run our hotel is, and how friendly the staff was. We certainly do have some control over those issues, and are pleased to hear these attributes recognized.

Kind regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have a friend who visits Salem every year in October and stays at the Hawthorne. She always has a great time so I booked a room last year for this October. I loved staying at the Hawthorne. The room was clean and comfortable, the hotel has an old world kind of feel to it that suited the occasion, the breakfast was excellent and the staff was very helpful and polite. The hotel is right in the center of where all the good stuff is and I really liked that you can park the car and never have to use it again until you leave. The streets felt very safe at night so no problem walking around. I loved it so much I already booked a room for next October!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Thanks for the excellent review. I am sure this will be very helpful to other guests, as you really give the flavor of the Hawthorne Hotel in your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Kind regards,

Clinton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I have never written a review on here before but I had to after reading some of the bad reviews. I have stayed at the Hawthorne for the past 5 years for one weekend during Haunted Happenings with my 13-year old son. The hotel was built in the early 20th century, therefore, it's expected that the heating and cooling systems are antiquated and the rooms quaint, it is not a modern hotel and doesn't advertise itself as such. The rooms are beautiful with period furnishings, the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are small. Some people here may have construed them as dirty, I have never experienced this but some of the rooms in which I've stayed have had peeling paint or chipped tile, again, typical of an older hotel. I only ate in the restaurant, Nathaniel's, once, the food was okay but very expensive. The hotel is within walking distance of EVERYTHING that is Salem, the parking situation is clearly explained so if you bring a car and have parking problems it should be no surprise and not an issue to give the hotel a bad review. The hotel has a business center so I was able to check in online for my flight and print out boarding passes-free of charge. There is always a wedding the weekend I stay, however, I have never been bothered by music or noise in my room. On my most recent stay, the guests in the room next door were smoking and arguing and when I called the front desk someone came up immediately and took care of the problem. The staff is friendly and helpful. I book this hotel every October a year in advance and I would never stay anywhere else.
On another note, while visiting Salem, do not miss the Salem Witch Museum, Witch Dungeon, New England Pirate Museum and the Ghosts and Legends Salem Trolley. (You can get a combo ticket for the pirate museum, dungeon and Witch History Mueum and save some $$.) Some great places for food are Fountain Place (best breakfast in town and we love Sue!) and Victoria Station down on the wharf. Have a great time!!

Stayed October 2009
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
What a lovely and balanced review! This is something that will be so helpful to a potential guest considering the Hawthorne Hotel. Thank you so much for writing.

I do hope that perhaps next time you come back to the Hawthorne you give our Tavern a try for a meal. It is our casual restaurant (sometimes fine dining like Nathaniel's is not for everyone) and serves from 11 am to 11 pm daily. We feature homemade soups, including Steve's famous seafood chowder, salads, sandwiches, terrific burgers, pastas and more. The prices are very comparable to other casual restaurants in the area.

Thanks again for pointing out how friendly our staff members are, and for your balanced and fair review.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

While we had hoped to make good on the stories of this hotel being Haunted, we were additionally and pleasantly surprised at the old fashion charm of the Hotel and Historic district. While we slept comfortably and ate like kings at the really nice Hotel restaurant, we were not interupted by any Ghosts. We were very entertained with the charm, location and full amenities of the hotel. Perhaps, Ghosts are extra? :^)

Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2009
Ghosts don't cost anything extra at the Hawthorne Hotel -- they are yours for the experiencing IF you encounter any. However, according to the folks from TAPS who did an investigation a couple of years ago, ghosts don't perform 'on demand'. if you want to see their show on Ghost Hunters, you will be able to do so on YouTube, to see what they found.

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you were both comfortable and well-fed while you were here.

It is so nice that you recognized the old-school charm that we strive to provide to all of our guests.

Thank you so much for posting this informative review.

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Hawthorne Hotel for a Friday night in late September, while on our way to northern Maine for vacation. We both thoroughly enjoyed Salem and can't wait to go back again. What a terrific town - simply lovely in every way!

As far as our experience at The Hawthorne Hotel, after caring for an alzheimer parent before our trip, I could barely turn my head due to stress and severe muscle tension. I was in horrible pain and asked the hostess in Nathaniel's Restaurant if they could recommend a place for me to have a massage before we left for our 6-7 hour journey the next day. She called over the night manager, I believe her name was Lucy, and what happened next was awesome. Lucy actually called a local business and scheduled me for an appointment for first thing the next morning. I was amazed - and I felt like a queen! All of this while the restaurant was busy hosting the show, "What Not to Wear," for a local's reveal that night. Now that is wonderful service! My husband and I enjoyed dinner at Nathaniel's and a relaxing night later in The Tavern.

Please don't change a thing. We are looking forward to returning to Salem and to The Hawthorne Hotel as soon as our responsibilities ease a little. Next time we will stay for a longer visit :)

Thank you Lucy, and the wonderful hostess and waitress at Nathaniel's!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I went here for a wedding this past weekend. Arrived for check in, the hotel is beautiful and my room overlooked the square. The room was spacious with two queen beds a decent sized bathroom and 3 closets. Went downstairs to the tavern to have a drink and an app before the wedding. The bartender was friendly and the food was quite good, I was shocked by how large the portion sizes were.

Started getting ready for the wedding and noticed I had forgotten my dress shoes, called down to the front desk to see if there was a shoe store within walking distance and was surprised to learn that there are no shoe stores in salem.... The sales staff began coming up with other ideas and were calling other local businesses that maight have shoes. They were able to locate a shoe repair business that had a pair in my size that were never picked up. I was very grateful for their assistance.

The wedding reception at the hotel was also great, the food, servers and the rest of their team all performed either to or beyond expectations. I would highly recommend this hotel to others. I should note that I was able to see several room categories, there was one room at the end of a couple of floors that was very tiny, however this is a historic hotel, so if you make your reservations make sure you select the appropriate category.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Wow, I am so happy our quirky idea worked out for this guest. We always try to put ourselves in our guests shoes, and this was a real-life example of doing that nearly literally. When a guest needs something, we really do go all out to try to be that guest's advocate, and think how we would like to be treated.

We appreciate hearing from this guest as well about the different room sizes. In our hotel there were originally 150 rooms when it opened in 1925. Over the years, different managers/owners put some rooms together to make some of them bigger, so now we have 89 rooms in that same footprint. Some rooms were left 'as is' and they are really quite small. They were meant for single traveling salesmen.

We try to let our guests know that when they book these least expensive rooms, that is what they are going to get. It is good to see that this reviewer put that issue into perspective for future guests.

If you are considering staying here, please do inquire about the room size, and consider booking a larger room if there is going to be more than one person in the room, or if you are going to be staying for longer than a night or two.

However, if, like some other travelers, you only need a place to sleep, and shower, and the room size is not important to you, our least expensive rooms can be right up your alley.

What you are really paying for at the Hawthorne Hotel is great customer service, a terrific location, and wonderful public space -- a comfortable lobby, and secondary lobby, cozy fireplaced Tavern, and excellent fine dining room. If you keep that in mind, you too should have an excellent stay.

Thank you to this kind reviewer!

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

This was a three generation getaway, my mom, my daugter, and I went. I needed a location that was close to everything since Mom is 75. The Hawthorne was perfect. The staff was friendly. The sink didn't drain when we arrived, and they came immediately and fixed it. The room was clean. We didn't eat at the restaurant there, as we found many other places nearby on our exploration of the city.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
Thank you so much for the very nice review. We do know that it is our staff members who really make a difference in our guests' perception of what we offer here -- hospitality.

Our restaurants have a tremendous local following, so next time you come, you will certainly enhance your stay by dining right here in the Hawthorne Hotel. Our cozy Tavern with a real wood-burning fireplace is just the place for these crisp fall days.

Thanks again!

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!