“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

You added Hawthorne Hotel to your Saves list
Hawthorne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Washington Square West, On Salem Common, Salem, MA 01970   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20 Restaurant Voucher!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Harwich, Massachusetts
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We wanted to see the "Turner & The Sea" art exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum, so rather than drive up and back in one very long day, we made a mini-getaway to Salem. We chose the Hawthorne Hotel for location and good reviews. We chose the "Cleveland room" category bed-and-breakfast package - good choice. The room was clean, comfortable, plenty of lighting (rather than those dim bulbs we find more than occasionally these days), 2 big windows, good bed. Bathroom is small but efficient, very clean. Not sure how busy the hotel was, although there was a conference staying there, it was quiet anyway. It is a historic hotel, the lobby has plenty of comfy seating, Staff was most pleasant everywhere from front desk to dining. Parking is in a lot next to the hotel and complimentary with a pass given at check-in. Many of Salem's historic sites, including the PEM, are within a short walk so location is fabulous. It is not a city one wants to drive around too much - small narrow streets and crazy intersections. Breakfast in the Nathaniel dining room was very hearty and good. .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear traveldream,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your “mini-getaway” in Salem and at the Hawthorne. We pride ourselves on offering outstanding service and a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere, and so I appreciate your warm compliments for our staff and beautiful Hotel.

As you mentioned, our overnight guests are guaranteed complimentary parking. Because the Hawthorne is centrally located in downtown Salem, this means that guests are able to check in, park their car, and then walk to all of the city’s many great attractions. I hope that you enjoyed the “Turner & the Sea” exhibit, and everything else that the Peabody Essex Museum has to offer.

I appreciate you also taking the time to write a review of Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant. This proves helpful to fellow Trip Advisor readers who may only be looking for a place to dine, and would not necessarily look at the Hawthorne reviews, instead only looking through the Salem restaurant reviews.

We hope to see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Swansea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

where do i begin.....everything was soo great!!!! rooms clean and very comfortable...food for all our meals were amazing as the waitstaff!!! Edi and Cody were awesome and lots of fun!! two very hard working guys!!!!and a pleasure to meet!!!right from the first day to the fourth day of our stay was awesome...Mike and waitstaff are incredible!!! my husbands four day meetings went smoothly and all that attended were very satisfied!!! thank you soo much Tom Mcdonald and Karen for all your time and help!!! Ray and i can't wait to be at the end of August for our 31st anniversary!!! thank you Ray&Dee Croteau

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Ray & Dee,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you felt welcome by our friendly staff from the moment you arrived until the moment you left. Thank you for your recognition of Edi, Cody, Mike, Thomas, Karen, and the rest of our great team. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to them.

As I’m sure you can imagine, between our Grand Ballroom and many other function spaces, we host a number of events at the Hotel, both big and small. We take great pride in making each one run as smoothly as possible, and it’s wonderful to hear that your husband’s meetings went well.

Thank you again for your lovely feedback. We look forward to helping you celebrate your anniversary when you return.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel was just fine. It is very pricey, so it should be! My room was clean and nice, but very small, so I was glad I was by myself. I went for work, other people who stayed too, had different experiences. There is always an event in the ballroom. This means the restaurant is closed, although there is another. Even on the sixth floor if your above the ballroom you can hear the event. Staff were very friendly and helpful, just what I expect for what it costs.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but on top of the ballroom, no matter what floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear charleydog78,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our beautiful Hotel and excellent staff to be welcoming.

In addition to offering guests a unique atmosphere and excellent staff, the Hawthorne also boasts wonderful function rooms, complimentary coffee service for our guests, and the perfect location in historic downtown Salem which places us within walking distance of the many wonderful attractions that the city has to offer.

There are a few occasions each year when we do move one or the other of our restaurants to the other one. Whenever we do make that kind of change we make sure to offer both menus in the restaurant that remains open.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

lynn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I am writing this as a Senior Class Advisor but I know that I am speaking for the entire class of 2014...our prom at the Hawthorne Hotel rocked! Right from my first encounter with Karen to our last goodbye with the waitstaff, everything went smoothly and painlessly. I would recommend this venue highly. My group consisted of about 104 students and 20 adults and the size of the main ballroom was perfect. We didn't have much money for decorations so we used the centerpieces that the hotel provided and beautifully colored napkins and the place looked great. We also had access to the second floor for formal pictures and storage of bags that students brought for after prom. Liz, our go to person for the night, was always within a shout and checked in several times to be sure all was well. Food was delicious and plentiful! A great value and a beautiful venue.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear kj l,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that you and the LVTI Seniors enjoyed hosting your prom at the Hotel.

As I’m certain you know, we host a number of events, large and small, at the Hawthorne, and we enjoy our part in making each and every one a special occasion. I’m pleased you found all of our staff to be friendly and helpful from the moment planning began until the event came to an end. I will be certain to share your kind words with our excellent Catering and Banquet teams, as well as with our Chef.

Congratulations to all of your graduating seniors! We hope to see you at the Hawthorne again soon.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel just for one night, but it was wonderful. We had a Derby Deluxe room with 2 Queen beds and 2 full separate bathrooms which was nice. The room was spacious.. and old time-y. Which I liked. The front desk staff were VERY friendly and helpful!

This is the best place to stay if you visit Salem! We booked the Explore Salem package which included 2 tickets to 2 different museums, breakfast, and 2 for the price of one dinner at Nathaniel's which was great as well.

Everything was within easy walking distance from here and parking was easy and great too!

Room Tip: As for a Derby Deluxe room with 2 full baths and 2 queen beds!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Tonysk8s,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the Derby Room suited your needs.

The Explore Salem package is certainly one of our most popular packages, especially this time of year as the weather starts to warm and brighten Salem. I hope you enjoyed the museums that you visited, as well as the wonderful shopping district, all of which is just a short walk from the Hotel.

Thank you for your compliments for Nathaniel’s as well. I will be certain to share your kind words with our Chef.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

North Rubberboot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed for a combination of business and pleasure for five nights at the Hawthorne in May 2014. perfect location, great rates/value and excellent staff, particularly Sarah at the front desk and Tessa in the restaurant, who were professional, warm and efficient. one of the best features of this lovely old hotel, is several rooms have two washrooms - ours on the 6th floor had a 'full bath' and a 'half bath', which is a rare thing to find in hotels anywhere, particularly useful when you have two or more persons sharing the room. the breakfast included in the room price was ideal, no need for massive buffet, that is just wasteful gluttony! the fresh squeezed OJ was a particular treat. beds super comfy, with good quality linens, everything very clean and the staff attentive to their guests. great bar and restaurant too. we enjoyed our experience and looking forward to our next stay at the Hawthorne.

Dear Astra_12,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your compliments for our excellent team. I will be sure to share your kind words with Sarah, Tess, and the rest of the Hawthorne staff.

You had the pleasure of staying in one of our Derby Rooms, which happen to be one of my favorite of the thirteen room types here at the Hawthorne for the very reason you mentioned—having two bathrooms while away (and traveling with a roommate or two or three) is just wonderful! I’m glad that you enjoyed the room, and that you found our beds and linens to be comfortable.

Thank you for also sharing your thoughts on our two in-house restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s. No doubt fellow TripAdvisor readers will find it helpful to have such a well-rounded review when researching the Hawthorne.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I travel to Salem, Ma. on business, for a few days, about every 6-8 months. In the past, I have always stayed at the Salem Waterfront Hotel. My experiences there, have been OK, but just OK, the Salem Waterfront Hotel, has a very sterile feeling to it.

This time, I decided to stay at the Hawthorne Hotel, and was very pleased I did. The rooms are great! The food and drinks, in the restaurant and Tap room, were super! The customer service through out the hotel, was Exceptional!!! I have not enjoyed, the warm & welcoming customer service which I received at the Hawthorne Hotel, anywhere else, in a very long time. From Jessica at the front desk, who I made my reservation with, the night before my stay, to Tess & Elizabeth, my waitresses in the restaurant, and also Allison in the Tap Room, they made me feel very welcome. The Hawthorne Hotel, is a great place to stay, and a very good value for the price. I will stay there again.

Dear Jrsbhunt,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your first stay with us, and that you appreciated the historic nature of our hotel. We often find that guests appreciate the unique, comfortable atmosphere of the Hawthorne over the more sterile feel of more recently constructed hotels. With each of our rooms being individually furnished for comfort, but also including all the modern amenities one could desire such as large flat-panel televisions equipped with free HBO and true high-definition programming, and with iPod docking stations and extra electrical outlets built in to the bases of the table lamps, we think we provide it all for our guests.

I appreciate your kind words for our team, and your specific recognition of the efforts of Jessica, Tess, Elizabeth, and Allison. I will be sure to share your compliments with them and the rest of our excellent staff.

We look forward to your return because we want to welcome you back; we really enjoy providing hospitality, especially to guests who appreciate our style.

Best,

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!