“Very Impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

You added Hawthorne Hotel to your Saves list
Hawthorne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Washington Square West, On Salem Common, Salem, MA 01970   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20 Restaurant Voucher!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Very Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Just got back from Hawthorne Hotel, I had been wanting to go there for awhile now. I actually drove 6 hours from NY just so I could check the place out and visit Salem, which I really love. But i had never spent the night before, so I decided as birthday present to myself to book a room, First off, the package deal I got was very attractive - quite a value for your dollar considering what you get, And obviously the location is stellar. Check in was a breeze, and Sam at the front desk was kind and friendly and even called me at the my room to make sure my accomodations were acceptable. I really loved the classic charm of the lobby and all the well-heeled New Englanders sitting around talking. My room was perfectly sized, and I liked the flat screen TV. Everything in room was clean and fresh. I didnt eat dinner there but did have a great, filling breakfast of pancakes and side of delicious bacon, the coffee was great also, What else can I say - its really a charming place to stay and its location is top notch - the staff are really friendly and I would stay there again no doubt - looking forward to next time - thx

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear lcnash,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. A belated Happy Birthday to you! We believe that we are not in the hotel business, but in the hospitality business, and so I am pleased that you felt so welcome in the Hotel from the moment you arrived. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to Sam, one of our great Front Desk clerks, as well as to our Housekeeping and Dining Services teams for the role they played in making your stay so pleasant.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Argyle Shore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Although the Hawthorne has enough rooms to be considered a large hotel, its staff makes you feel that they do care that you enjoy your stay. The hotel built in 1925 has an old world feeling lobby that entices you to just sit down, relax, and read a paper. The rooms aren't as fancy as the chain hotels but are comfortable and clean.
R Baker
PEI Canada

Dear RBaker2014,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that our staff made you feel welcome and comfortable. I’m glad that you also appreciated the Hotel’s history, and its unique atmosphere as compared to chain hotels. We enjoy that with thirteen different room types, and each room individually furnished, we are able to offer our guests a unique atmosphere in which to enjoy their stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Brockton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

A stay at the Hawthorne Hotel had been on our bucket list for a while so we decided to make a birthday weekend out of it. We asked if any of the "infamous" rooms were available and the women at the front desk were very helpful. They told us room 325 was but it was very cramped with a queen bed in two different rooms but not much more space than that. They said they had rooms available on the sixth floor that were more spacious and had a nice view of Salem Common as opposed to a view of the roof of the kitchen. We took their suggestion and stayed on the sixth floor. Staying at the hotel is like taking a step back in time to a different era. We explored the lobby and took a peak at a few different floors and even the basement which looks like a ship with wooden walls and portal hole windows in the doors. Very cool!! Our room was spacious and comfortable with a great view. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the location was perfect. I would recommend this to anyone and would love to stay again!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear CrystalN320,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our Front Desk team was so helpful to you during the reservation process. We do our best to encourage guests to ask questions about our rooms so that we can help find them the perfect fit, and it seems we did just that.

We take great pride in being one of the Historic Hotels of America, and in offering our guests a unique atmosphere throughout the Hotel, and so I’m glad that you also appreciated this aspect of your stay.

Thank you for also taking the time to share your feedback regarding our fine dining restaurant, Nathaniel’s, on its own Trip Advisor page. Such detail is surely helpful to fellow Trip Advisor readers who may not be as familiar with the Hawthorne and its restaurants.

So glad you were able to cross the Hawthorne off your “Bucket List” – we hope to see you again soon!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed at the Hawthorne and we can't praise it highly enough. All the staff were friendly and knew the area when we had questions. I won the VIP of the day so we had a free room upgrade and a voucher for the Tavern on the Green, which was a great restaurant. I had one of their cocktails (a Scarlett letter) and it was a lovely drink. The food was amazing too. The only drawback was there is no tea and coffee maker in the rooms but this didn't really matter because you can go down for free hot drinks any time while the Tavern is open and the staff were always happy to oblige. The room was spacious and it is a beautiful historic hotel. After our very long travels from the UK, this hotel made us feel welcome and relaxed.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Koffee741,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that our outgoing staff members made you feel so welcome from the moment you arrived and were selected as our VIP Guest of the Day! We find this is a great way to get to know our guests a little better.

In addition to offering our guests a complimentary coffee from the Tavern, guests are also able to take advantage of the complimentary coffee service we offer in the Lobby each morning. We have found that many guests prefer this coffee service over having a coffee maker in the room because they can get a wide variety of condiments, not normally present in “in-room” coffee service, such a real cream and real milk, as well as tea that does not taste like coffee because it is being made in a coffee maker. Last but not least, we offer this “free coffee/tea” service 24-hours a day. If the restaurants are closed, you only need ask at the front desk and we will be happy to get you what you want in that regard.

I appreciate you also taking the time to write a review of Tavern on the Green on its own TripAdvisor page. Having such detailed feedback proves helpful to those fellow TripAdvisor readers who may not be as familiar with the Hawthorne and what it has to offer.

Thank you again. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I booked one of the smaller rooms for an overnight stay with my boyfriend. The hotel is beautiful, no issues finding a parking spot and the lobby is very grand. We arrived before check in time and our room was ready. I was surprised by the room size, I was expecting it would be smaller by some of the reviewers complaints, but it was just right for the two of us. Room was spotlessly clean and bed was so comfy. The hotel is in a perfect location to walk everywhere. We didn't get a chance to try the hotel restaurants, but I'm sure we'll be back again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Amy737,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your boyfriend enjoyed our charming, historic Hotel, and that the room was the perfect size for the two of you.

I’m glad you also took advantage of our central location in downtown Salem. We are lucky to be within walking distance of all of the city’s great attractions and shopping district, with the Peabody Essex Museum being just a block away.

Best,

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We were there for a wedding. We arrived and many of us congregated in the Tavern for a drink and snack after a long trip from Florida. There was a crackling fire in the fireplace! Our waiter was wonderful and the food was delicious. We had a fabulous suite and a perfect stay. The wedding there was simply beautiful and so professionally run by the staff! The ballroom is large with big architectural windows facing the park which has trees lit up at night with twinkle lights...stunning

Room Tip: Loved the spacious and beautifully appointed suite
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Cbsk2014,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green, was cozy and welcoming after your long journey. I appreciate your kind words for our staff, and for our delicious menu.

Because of our Grand Ballroom—certainly a beautiful place for any event!—and several other excellent function spaces, we host a number of events in the Hotel throughout the year. We enjoy making each and every one special and unique, and I’m pleased that you enjoyed the wedding you attended in the Ballroom. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our Banquets and Catering teams.

Ipswich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

At the end of December, we sold our house. Unfortunately, due to unforseen issues with the new home, we were not able to move in right away. We needed a place to stay. We also needed a place that accepted pets, as we have two dogs. We chose the Historic Hawthorne Hotel in downtown Salem! It is a wonderful hotel, with the feeling of a European type establishment. The staff was very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. We were made welcome with our two dogs and spent a total of five weeks there! The dogs were able to come down to the lobby with us and sit, watching all the goings-on and enjoyed their daily walks on Salem Common, just across the street. They are also allowed to stay in the room when you are not there. Other hotels told us we could not leave them alone in the room at any time! They also enjoyed the "doggy menu" food brought to our sixth floor room by Room Service! There is even a vet on call should your animals have a need. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice, clean, centrally located hotel in Salem. There is plenty to do and the Peabody Essex Museum is one block away. There are many room types to choose from, (we had a large room at the front of the hotel) and the front desk can find something to fit your needs. We became so friendly with the staff, we were sad to leave! We are now in our new home but will look forward to another stay at the hotel and we will be bringing the dogs!

Room Tip: The left side of the hotel has views of Salem Common and the front has views looking over the city.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Catherine R,

I’m so glad that you chose the Hawthorne to be your “home away from home” while you waited to settle into your new house. It was a pleasure getting to know you and your dogs during your extended stay with us!

I’m pleased that your dogs enjoyed our special Doggy Room Service menu, and that they were able to relax in the room while you explored Salem. We are one of the few places in this area that allow pets—and we don’t simply allow them, we welcome them just as we would any other guest! Our love of our guests’ furry companions has even led to us being named a “Fido’s Favorite” by BringFido.com.

Thank you for also taking the time to share your experience with our two restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s, on each of their individual TripAdvisor pages. For fellow TripAdvisor readers who may not be as familiar with our Hotel, having such a comprehensive picture of what we offer will be very helpful when deciding where to stay and dine.

I hope that you are now settled into your new home! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!