“Lovely Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

You added Hawthorne Hotel to your Saves list
Hawthorne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Washington Square West, On Salem Common, Salem, MA 01970   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20 Restaurant Voucher!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Jersey
“Lovely Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel is amazing. It has so much history, and it is just stunning. The hotel is centrally located to many of the attractions, so this would be an ideal place to stay at since parking around town can be a problem. We did not get to eat at Nathaniels, however we had dessert and drinks at the tavern each night, and the food/drinks, and staff were wonderful. Since we booked last minute we were only able to get a small queen room, but the room did the job, was very clean and I have no complaints. How often are you really in the room anyway? They also have fresh coffee in the morning, and offer cider in the afternoon which was very nice. If you plan on visiting Salem, this is the best place to stay. I do not have any pets due to allergies, and they must do a very thorough cleaning of the room because my allergies did not act up once! And for dog lovers, they have a room service menu just for the pups! Super adorable! I definitely plan on returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear tburg1760,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room to be comfortable and well taken care of. Our housekeeping team is wonderful, and I’m happy to pass along your compliments to them.

I’m glad you also enjoyed drinks and desserts in our casual, pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green. At this time of year, the Tavern’s warm fireplace and wingback chairs offer a welcoming, cozy atmosphere that everyone can enjoy. Thank you for recognizing our friendly wait staff.

We are happy to read that you are planning on returning, and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Lincoln Park, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early October--prime season for Salem. The hotel is beautiful--charmingly old but kept up very well. The room was clean, the bed extremely comfortable and the bathroom a shiny, gleaming white well outfitted with little bottles of fancy soaps and shampoos. It's also very close to everything in the heart of Salem, so a great location (and with an on-site parking lot that made things easy, as well).

My favorite part of the stay was the staff--we asked several questions of the front desk staff during our stay, and ate breakfast at Nathaniel's, the in-house restaurant, both mornings, and each person we dealt with was incredibly polite, friendly and helpful. The restaurant breakfast, btw, was delicious. Highly recommend (note that it's not included in the room cost, however). I really appreciated that they provided a free bottle of water each day, too.

Only two very minor detractions. One: there's no climate control (A/C or heat) in the rooms. For the most part the temperature was fine so it wasn't an issue, but I do like to sleep in a cold room and it got a little warm for me in the middle of the night. Luckily the windows open and Salem has its own nightly chill. Two: We took the option of getting the "cheese plate" to be provided upon check in. The cheese plate was indeed there, but for $22.50 all we got was a tiny block of cheddar, some crackers, a handful of walnuts and a sprinkling of dried cranberries. They also didn't give us a knife for the cheese (I'm sure they would have brought one up if we called, we just never wound up wanting to wait for it). But I know room service is overpriced at EVERY hotel so we should have known better!

Dear Lindsay B,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found every member of our staff to be helpful and welcoming. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our excellent team.

As one of the Historic Hotels of America, we love to provide our guests with a unique, comfortable atmosphere. Each room is individually furnished for comfort, and our bathrooms were only recently renovated. We also switched to a new amenities line earlier this year, and so I’m pleased you enjoyed the Pharmacopia shampoo and conditioner provided to you.

Because we are a historic hotel, our AC/heating system is certainly unique. I’m glad that being able to open the windows helped to keep you comfortable. If you stay with us again, please know that we are also happy to provide fans for our guests who prefer their rooms a bit cooler during the shoulder months such as October.

I’m sorry you were unhappy with your cheese plate. It appears that some of the elements were missing from it. We did take a photo of what our standard cheese plate should look like, so that you and others can see what we offer. It is posted right here on TripAdvisor in the photos by owner section. The price you paid does include all the taxes, gratuities and delivery charge. I do apologize that the staff member who delivered it did not bring the appropriate silverware. If you would contact me directly I can arrange a credit back to you. The hotel number is 978-744-4080; just ask for me.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

When it was time for one of our coworkers to retire after 47 plus years working as a Clinical Lab Scientist at Salem Hospital, I was approached to coordinate her retirement party. As a Salem Garden Club President for two years 4 years ago, I have plenty of experience coordinating parties and dealing with different venues so where else do you think I booked the party but the one place I know where everything's perfect... Hawthorne Hotel! Christine Madigan and Lindsay Otis were so accommodating when I called to book the party ; the attendants and the bartender we had during the party were so attentive, and everyone said that they enjoyed the night and that they were never rushed. The food was great and the venue was wonderful! Everyone was so grateful that they even told me that I can plan their retirement party when their time comes. So I guess we'll be back to this place where everything is perfect.... Hawthorne Hotel! Thank you for a fabulous time!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear MaribelS,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel! As someone with experience in planning events, we truly appreciate your kind words with regards to the retirement party you recently hosted at the Hawthorne.

As you know, between our Grand Ballroom, warm Library, cozy Essex Room, and other great function spaces, we host many events at the Hawthorne, including beautiful weddings, showers, parties, and corporate events. Every one is special to us, and we take great pride in making each one a great success. I’m pleased that we were the perfect choice for this event, and that our staff was so helpful from the start.

I appreciate you recognizing Christine and Lindsay in particular for the dedication they give to such events. I will pass along your compliments to them and to the rest of our banquet team. I will also be sure to pass along your compliments on the food to our excellent Culinary Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed in Salem for 1 night of our 3 night visit to the Boston area and we wish we stayed at the Hawthorne for an extra day or two. We arrived early after a long drive from Toronto and the front desk arranged for our rooms immediately. They were very friendly and ensured our stay started on the right foot. Many thanks to the staff!

The wifi was speedy, beds comfortable and bathrooms recently renovated. The rooms were small (typical for the time period) but the charm and historic nature of the hotel more than compensated.

The location is right across from the Common and the main street; we couldn't of asked for a hotel with more charm, character and service. Very impressed! We will definitely return!

Dear RyanJenToronto,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our front desk clerks were able to get you into your rooms right away after such a long drive. We cannot always guarantee an early check-in, but we do our best when we are able. I’ll be certain to pass along your kind words to them and to the rest of our team.

Because we are one of the Historic Hotels of America, we offer guests a charming, unique atmosphere. We are still aware of the modern needs of our guests, and so in addition to several other changes we have made, our WiFi was recently completely updated and enlarged. I appreciate your feedback and am glad you found it to be speedy.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I own and live right across the street from this hotel and they are the best ! I order breakfast at least 3 times a week and always get fresh food made with care! The staff is always nice and polite and they do a great job! When I go on vacation I always say they are going to have a hard time keeping up with the Magical Hawthorn! ThankYo for the great food and service! Lorelei PS Happy Halloween! (ck out the up coming Party's)

Room Tip: Go for the one with the Spirits !
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CrowHavenCorner,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know that we continue to meet and exceed your expectations with our fantastic staff and our two wonderful restaurants. I’m certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your review as well, as it comes from someone who has so much experience with the Hotel.

The upcoming Nightmare on Hawthorne Boulevard Halloween Party is shaping up to be an excellent evening! As I’m sure you can imagine, we are all excited and preparations are in full swing. Tickets can still be purchased at the front desk or through our website.

We hope to see you there!

Clutton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A traditional hotel, very comfortable , very helpful staff. Room well equipped with loads of sockets and , unusually for america, subtle lighting. Excellent location for all attractions...witches and maritime. Would definitely go back .

Room Tip: Not over the kitchen extractors...they are noisy!
Dear Pammie56,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our central location in downtown Salem served as a great place to begin exploring the city and its many great attractions.

I’m glad that you also appreciated our unique atmosphere. Although we are a historic hotel, we understand that our modern guests often travel with their phones, iPads, laptops, and other equipment, and it’s good to know that you found your room to have an adequate number of easily accessible outlets.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best,

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel! Lovely rooms and a great location. Staff was friendly and helpful. Many little perks like free bottled water, coffee in the lobby in the morning, free WiFi.

Only reason I did not give it 5-stars was that I wouldn't recommend the room service or Sunday brunch. Room service food was cold and the brunch was too fussy and expensive.

In other words - stay at the Hawthorne but plenty of other better choices for your meals.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jo C:

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your stay in our historic Hawthorne Hotel. We are so pleased that you recognized how hard our staff works to be of service to our guests. It is nice to see you notice the little “perks” that make a visit here special.

We do apologize that you were not overly pleased with your food service experiences. I would love to talk to you about them, if you would give me a call at 978-744-4080 so I could learn how we can improve. Since we do receive generally very high marks for our food service it seems that there must be something that we can do to improve upon in the specific areas of Room Service and Sunday Brunch, and I would like to solicit your feedback more directly if possible.

Thank you again for writing this review. We are indeed happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!