“A Comfy Tavern located inside the Hawthorne Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

You added Hawthorne Hotel to your Saves list
Hawthorne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Washington Square West, On Salem Common, Salem, MA 01970   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20 Restaurant Voucher!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“A Comfy Tavern located inside the Hawthorne Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Hawthorne Hotel is historic and stunning in the same breathe. We stepped inside and visited the locale Tavern located just off the lobby entrance. The overstuffed leather high tops chairs at the bar were calling our names. We sat and had two appetizers and a couple of drinks. Stuffed Dates wrapped w/ Prosciutto and filled with goat cheese were superb. The Crispy Spring Rolls were vegetarian and tasty although we miss having some spicy cooked ground pork inside. Perfect appetizers with a split of Piper Champagne, Ipswich Ale and finished our visit with Drambuie and Campari. All totals $55 w/ tax Really pleasant and attentive bartender and abience.

Room Tip: haven't stayed inside the hotel rooms, merely attend the hotel for dining and special events.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Bruce B:

Thank you for such a detailed, wonderful review. We are always pleased to hear from our guests about their experiences, and I’m so happy that you enjoyed your meal.

We do try to offer some items on the menu that are appropriate for vegetarians, which is why the spring rolls are without meat. Next time you are in, just ask – we may actually be able to accommodate a special request for ones with meat, as sometimes we have that ability. Our staff is well-trained in understanding that we are in the “hospitality business” not just the hotel business, and being able to accommodate special requests is part of that training.

Thank you also for pointing out how reasonably priced our restaurants are – sometimes people equate hotel dining with expensive dining, but that is not the case here at the Hawthorne Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My family recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel. This hotel has great ambiance. Check in was quick, with extremely friendly staff. I stayed on the sixth floor, because my daughter had read that it was haunted. Our room was a decent size. We had the two queen beds with one in a half baths. I was really glad we had the second bathroom. The bathrooms are really small, but that goes with the character of the hotel. I had to keep fooling with the heater because the room was so hot. We ate at the restaurant which was wonderful. The Hawthorne is in a great location in Salem and within walking distance to pretty much everything. Again, this hotel oozes character and style. I will most definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The sixth floor are supposed to have the bigger rooms. I found the two queen bed with the one and a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear fifiMA,

Thank you for your kind review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay.

As you noted, the Hawthorne is a historic hotel full of great character. Guests are always our number one priority, and we strive to offer them a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. I’m sorry to hear about the temperature in your room, and wonder if you called our desk to see if we could offer any personal assistance to you? I would be interested to learn which room you were staying in, to make sure we check it for proper functioning.

Although there are many rumors regarding the Hawthorne being a haunted hotel, this has never been confirmed nor has it been certified as being “ghost-free.” Ghost Hunters did conduct an investigation several years ago, but their findings were inconclusive. Regardless, we love to hear from our guests about their experiences.

Regarding the sixth floor room sizes, we have all different sized rooms on every floor, so the size of your room will be determined by the kind of room you reserve – it could be on any floor.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kandahar, Kandahar, Afghanistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My family and I recently visited Salem. My son attends Salem State University. We visited during the Salem State University Holiday Classic basketball tournament. The hotel was crowded but the helpful staff were able to find two rooms together for our family. The rooms are quaint but tastefully furnished. I found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating. I have stayed there before and will stay there again. Thank you to Juli and her staff for a wonderful stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bob:

Thank you for your kind review. Guests are always our top priority at the Hawthorne, and I’m glad to hear that despite being busy, our great staff was able to accommodate your family and its needs. We especially appreciate knowing that every member of our team is working hard to show their hospitality to you.

Being in the heart of Downtown Salem, the Hawthorne is such a great option for families visiting students at Salem State. Not only are we close to the university, but we are also within walking distance of great attractions such as the Peabody Essex Museum.

I hope to see you again soon—we love to welcome back familiar faces!

Deerfield Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The reason for my trip was to attend to a sister in Salem Hospital, l knew nothing about this Hotel but it was reccomended by the Salem Hospital. I must say the atmosphere in Salem Mass is not my cup of tea (I take the dark side seriously) but boy the staff at this Hotel made it a joy to stay in a town filled with darkness. There is nothing like a staff that exudes joy and desires to accomidate your every need. The complimentary coffee and hot cider were second to none and the food was amazing at the Tavern. I ended up wanting to stay in the hotel and enjoy the warmth and my quiet little room. No worry of bedbugs or stinky pillows. It was a treat to retreat to my room at the end of each day and spend time in quiet communion with the Lord. Awesome!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Dawn S,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We’re glad that we were able to accommodate you and hope that your sister is doing well.

Guests are of course our top priority, and it’s always nice to hear kind words about our staff. We strive for a welcoming atmosphere within every part of our hotel, from the rooms to the restaurants. I’m happy to hear that you were pleased with your room, and that you enjoyed the Tavern, which has a wonderful atmosphere, and with the warm fire going offers a cozy comfort.

If you ever find yourself in Salem again, it really is a wonderful city with a rich history that goes far beyond the Witch Trials. We are within walking distance to several great attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum, the House of the Seven Gables and Nathaniel Hawthorne’s boyhood home, the historic Phillips House Museum, and the Salem Maritime Historic Site.

We hope to welcome you back for a visit when you don’t have to be here, but simply want to explore our city full of rich history, art, and architecture.

Warm regards,

Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

During a recent stay my husband was hospitalised and the staff made me feel very welcome and supported. I also enjoyed the tavern restaurant where I could have wonderful salads (try the scallops, too) and read a book, with caring staff helping me feel less alone. It was easy and safe to walk around town, visit the Peabody Museum and other landmarks. Great location, good experience!

Room Tip: Staying over a saturday is more costly and there are often weddings so the hotel is a little noisier...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear smp248:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. All of us at the Hawthorne hope that your husband has recovered and that you are both well. We strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable during their stay. I am so happy that you felt well-cared for and that you enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere of the Tavern. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the staff.

As you mentioned, the Hawthorne Hotel is centrally located in Downtown Salem, within walking distance of many of Salem’s wonderful attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum, which is always a treat. We are so pleased that you were able to experience these during your visit, and hope to see you again very soon.

Metrowest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last Saturday after attending a beautiful wedding also held here and we enjoyed everything so much. The hotel's decor, food, bar, ambiance, location and staff were all top notch. We definitely felt like welcome guests and not just customers. I look forward to coming back sometime and will certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room #315 was perfect for our stay. Nice big windows, not a great view but that did not matter...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BostonTraveler2013:

Thank you for your brief but very comprehensive review. We are so pleased when our guests are able to experience and enjoy all aspects of our hotel, from the beautiful atmosphere to our two wonderful restaurants.

We also love to hear compliments about our staff! At the Hawthorne Hotel, our guests are our number one priority, and we strive to make your stay a comfortable and pleasant one.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hawthorne Hotel soon.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My mom & I recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel, specifically because it is listed as being haunted. After having stayed at the Stanley Hotel in Colorado just a few months prior, I can say that I experienced even more activity at the Hawthorne! My mom & I stayed on the 6th floor, which is supposed to be the floor with the most activity. While waiting to go on our paranormal investigation later that night, we experienced several different things in our room, which included the tv turning itself off & being on a different channel when we turned it back on, the curtains moving without any air or draft being present anywhere in the room, and 'cold spots' that moved throughout the room, which is said to be an indicator of a spirit. We were so excited to actually have had something happen, and it was not in any way scary or harmful. Aside from our 'ghost adventure', the hotel was beautiful, cozy, warm, and the staff was extremely nice and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, whether looking for a ghost adventure or not!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are huge - didn't see any other rooms to know if they are all the same si...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Wendy C.:

Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasant experience. We’re so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the warm atmosphere of our hotel, and that you found our staff so helpful.

We offer rooms in a variety of sizes to suit the needs of all guests who come through our doors. Each offers a unique, but always comfortable experience. We’re happy to know that your room on the top floor was perfect for your stay.

There is much speculation on whether or not the Hawthorne Hotel is haunted. We had Ghost Hunters conduct an investigation here several years ago and their findings were inconclusive. Still, we always encourage our guests to share their experiences with us, good and strange. It sounds like you and your mother had an interesting time!

We hope that we’ll see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!