“Beautiful Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Kandahar, Kandahar, Afghanistan
“Beautiful Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My family and I recently visited Salem. My son attends Salem State University. We visited during the Salem State University Holiday Classic basketball tournament. The hotel was crowded but the helpful staff were able to find two rooms together for our family. The rooms are quaint but tastefully furnished. I found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating. I have stayed there before and will stay there again. Thank you to Juli and her staff for a wonderful stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Bob:

Thank you for your kind review. Guests are always our top priority at the Hawthorne, and I’m glad to hear that despite being busy, our great staff was able to accommodate your family and its needs. We especially appreciate knowing that every member of our team is working hard to show their hospitality to you.

Being in the heart of Downtown Salem, the Hawthorne is such a great option for families visiting students at Salem State. Not only are we close to the university, but we are also within walking distance of great attractions such as the Peabody Essex Museum.

I hope to see you again soon—we love to welcome back familiar faces!

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Deerfield Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The reason for my trip was to attend to a sister in Salem Hospital, l knew nothing about this Hotel but it was reccomended by the Salem Hospital. I must say the atmosphere in Salem Mass is not my cup of tea (I take the dark side seriously) but boy the staff at this Hotel made it a joy to stay in a town filled with darkness. There is nothing like a staff that exudes joy and desires to accomidate your every need. The complimentary coffee and hot cider were second to none and the food was amazing at the Tavern. I ended up wanting to stay in the hotel and enjoy the warmth and my quiet little room. No worry of bedbugs or stinky pillows. It was a treat to retreat to my room at the end of each day and spend time in quiet communion with the Lord. Awesome!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Dawn S,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We’re glad that we were able to accommodate you and hope that your sister is doing well.

Guests are of course our top priority, and it’s always nice to hear kind words about our staff. We strive for a welcoming atmosphere within every part of our hotel, from the rooms to the restaurants. I’m happy to hear that you were pleased with your room, and that you enjoyed the Tavern, which has a wonderful atmosphere, and with the warm fire going offers a cozy comfort.

If you ever find yourself in Salem again, it really is a wonderful city with a rich history that goes far beyond the Witch Trials. We are within walking distance to several great attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum, the House of the Seven Gables and Nathaniel Hawthorne’s boyhood home, the historic Phillips House Museum, and the Salem Maritime Historic Site.

We hope to welcome you back for a visit when you don’t have to be here, but simply want to explore our city full of rich history, art, and architecture.

Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

During a recent stay my husband was hospitalised and the staff made me feel very welcome and supported. I also enjoyed the tavern restaurant where I could have wonderful salads (try the scallops, too) and read a book, with caring staff helping me feel less alone. It was easy and safe to walk around town, visit the Peabody Museum and other landmarks. Great location, good experience!

Room Tip: Staying over a saturday is more costly and there are often weddings so the hotel is a little noisier...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear smp248:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. All of us at the Hawthorne hope that your husband has recovered and that you are both well. We strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable during their stay. I am so happy that you felt well-cared for and that you enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere of the Tavern. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the staff.

As you mentioned, the Hawthorne Hotel is centrally located in Downtown Salem, within walking distance of many of Salem’s wonderful attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum, which is always a treat. We are so pleased that you were able to experience these during your visit, and hope to see you again very soon.

Metrowest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last Saturday after attending a beautiful wedding also held here and we enjoyed everything so much. The hotel's decor, food, bar, ambiance, location and staff were all top notch. We definitely felt like welcome guests and not just customers. I look forward to coming back sometime and will certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room #315 was perfect for our stay. Nice big windows, not a great view but that did not matter...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BostonTraveler2013:

Thank you for your brief but very comprehensive review. We are so pleased when our guests are able to experience and enjoy all aspects of our hotel, from the beautiful atmosphere to our two wonderful restaurants.

We also love to hear compliments about our staff! At the Hawthorne Hotel, our guests are our number one priority, and we strive to make your stay a comfortable and pleasant one.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hawthorne Hotel soon.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My mom & I recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel, specifically because it is listed as being haunted. After having stayed at the Stanley Hotel in Colorado just a few months prior, I can say that I experienced even more activity at the Hawthorne! My mom & I stayed on the 6th floor, which is supposed to be the floor with the most activity. While waiting to go on our paranormal investigation later that night, we experienced several different things in our room, which included the tv turning itself off & being on a different channel when we turned it back on, the curtains moving without any air or draft being present anywhere in the room, and 'cold spots' that moved throughout the room, which is said to be an indicator of a spirit. We were so excited to actually have had something happen, and it was not in any way scary or harmful. Aside from our 'ghost adventure', the hotel was beautiful, cozy, warm, and the staff was extremely nice and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, whether looking for a ghost adventure or not!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are huge - didn't see any other rooms to know if they are all the same si...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Wendy C.:

Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasant experience. We’re so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the warm atmosphere of our hotel, and that you found our staff so helpful.

We offer rooms in a variety of sizes to suit the needs of all guests who come through our doors. Each offers a unique, but always comfortable experience. We’re happy to know that your room on the top floor was perfect for your stay.

There is much speculation on whether or not the Hawthorne Hotel is haunted. We had Ghost Hunters conduct an investigation here several years ago and their findings were inconclusive. Still, we always encourage our guests to share their experiences with us, good and strange. It sounds like you and your mother had an interesting time!

We hope that we’ll see you again soon.

Newton, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was our second stay at the Hawthorne Hotel. This time we stayed in a larger room on the 6th floor. As others have written, the Hawthorne is long on value, service and hospitality. It's in a great location with most of the attractions within walking distance. Nathaniel's restaurant was a very nice dining experience. We didn't get to the Tavern on the Green but had a look around and by all appearances it looked like a very cozy and romantic place to grab a quick bite or sit by the fire and enjoy the atmosphere. One might consider staying on a lower floor as the water pressure in the shower drops considerably the higher up one goes. We wouldn't stay anyplace else when we are up that way. The hotel has a deal with the local YMCA where you can go and have a swim or exercise if so desired.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a larger room, it's worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eric:

Thank you so much for your kind review. We’re grateful that you took the time to highlight not only the wonderful ambiance of the Hawthorne and of our staff, but also the hotel’s key location in Salem. Our guests always enjoy being within walking distance to so many of Salem’s fantastic attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum.

I would love to know what room you stayed in, because the water pressure should be great no matter where you stay in our hotel now. Over the past two years we had all the water supply pipes replaced with brand new copper piping, so everything should work just fine. The fact that you encountered a small problem is something we would like the opportunity to address, especially while all that work is still under warranty. I hope you will consider calling me at the hotel so we can discuss your stay in more detail, which will help me help all the future guests staying in that particular room. You can call me at 978-74-4080 when you have a few minutes to chat.

We hope to see you back soon, and certainly suggest popping into the Tavern. As you mentioned, the atmosphere is cozy and warm with the fireplace going.

General Manage
Milford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is allegedly the most haunted in America but having stayed there two nights with my scaredy cat girlfriend, who was on constant alert for spooks and apparitions, I conclude it's only haunted by long lost values of good hospitality! The people there are just plain nice. And gracious. And eager to help and accommodate, especially the front desk ladies. The causal restaurant The Tavern on the Green is excellent --- great food, pleasant service and an all round comfortable place to eat. We ate there twice and want to try the upscale, nattily named Nathaniel's next. It looked great.

The room we had was comfortable, clean and we slept well. The bathroom is small but, you know, at the end of your life, will you look back and, in disappointment, sigh the sad final words, "wish I'd had a bigger bathroom"? Probably not, right?

Bob Guccione, Jr.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob:

Thank you for this wonderful review! At the Hawthorne Hotel, guests are our top priority, and it always makes my day to read such praises for our staff. I’ll be sure to pass along your generous words.

We are often asked whether or not the Hawthorne Hotel is haunted. Although Ghost Hunters conducted an investigation a few years ago, their findings were inconclusive. We still encourage our guests to share their experiences with us, and we are especially pleased to hear that your girlfriend was not spooked during her stay.

We especially love your perspective about what is important in life. Thank you so much for sharing that. Your words of wisdom are important.

We would love to see you back at the Hawthorne Hotel soon so that you may try Nathaniel’s. Just like the Tavern, the dining experience is wonderful and we’re certain you won’t be disappointed.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!