“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Lovely, clean rooms and service. Also recommend the pub, which offers excellent food as well. Historic and quaint hotel, was the best nights sleep I had during whole trip! Great size tub and room has lots of character!

• Stayed November 2012
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear kimmys2020:
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am thrilled to hear that everything was perfect during your stay.
In the past year we have updated all of our linens and now have new, locally-made pillow top mattresses in all of our guest rooms. We also put double the number of really nice, "scrunchable" pillows on each bed. We made these upgrades in the hope of giving all of our guests the best night’s sleep possible. I am thrilled to hear you were able to completely relax and unwind while you were with us.

Thank you again for your kind review. We truly appreciate it when guests take the time to share their experiences firsthand with everyone on Trip Advisor.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Salem, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Folks, the Hawthorne Hotel has been an historical mainstay in Salem for years & years. My family and extended family plus many friends have never had a bad visit and don't expect one ever. The professional and friendly staff makes it even better. Nathaniel's Restaurant and The Tavern add even more to your culinary and beverage palette. The proximity of the hotel to many of New England's great places to see is at their doorstep. They offer many amenities which include a "pet" gift package and free bicycles to roll around town,+++. Do yourselves a favor and stay there. M. Hall

Room Tip: Choose a high corner room....but really all their rooms are nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marc H:

You complimented our Hotel in every aspect and I cannot thank you enough for writing such a glowing review.

While we do offer many amenities to our guests, I cannot take credit for the bicycles. Those are offered free of charge from the city of Salem, and our Hotel volunteers to be the home base for distributing and monitoring the use of them. We are happy to maintain it as it provides and excellent service for our guests. There is nothing better than a bike ride around the city (in season of course) to take in the spirit and history of our wonderful city.

Thank you for complimenting the hard work of our staff. I will be certain to share your review with the entire Hawthorne team.

Chelsea, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Hawthorne Hotel and it was probably the worst hotel experience I can remember. Mind you, the hotel is old, quaint and charming, but I travel so much I need some basics at each hotel and definitely get it here. The first night I was housed in the "Guest House" in a room on the 3rd floor. This is an old house that evidently has been converted into rooms. At first glance, I thought "cute room". It was a good size room with queen bed, sofa, old style desk and chair, dresser/TV stand. The bed was actually pretty comfortable. But the bathroom facilities are very lacking. There is a very small, closet size room on either side of the faux fireplace, and one is a toilet and teeny, tiny sink. The other is the smallest stand up shower I've ever seen. So the first morning was disastrous. It was not possible to do anything other that stand still in the shower. Any attempt to bend or flex to wash a body part and I bumped the sides, all the toiletries, fell on the floor, the wet shower curtain continuing to bump into me. It was the shortest shower I ever took! Then when I used the hairdryer, the fuses blew and all the electricity went out in those two "closets". It thought it might be temporary, but learned later, it shut down the other units in the Guest House. How the management could allow that set up is beyond me!
At first I thought I would just suck it up and stay the second night, but then asked at the front desk and they said there were a couple rooms available in the main house. I looked at a couple and decided to pack up and move. This room was much smaller but at least I could turn around in the bathroom! However, no closet.
All in all, I applaud their attempt to offer a quaint place to stay, but be forewarned, if you need bathroom space, a place to hang up clothes, and maybe a comfortable chair to sip coffee in the morning, be very cautious here. At least you've been warned!
Also, no coffee pots in the rooms and one must go down to the lobby in the a.m. for coffee. I hate that!
I will say that the food was very good. I'm just not an "old hotel person" and would not go back.

Room Tip: The X01 rooms apparently have bathrooms that are slightly larger stalls. I thought my room was fair...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Judy O

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you did not get a room that matched your needs. Sometimes that does happen, and it makes us very sad when it does.

I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, such as the quality of the beds and bedding, and the excellent food that we serve here.

We will look into making improvements to the wiring in the guest house. This is the first time I have learned that this was a “whole house” issue, and that is something we must address. We will also look at ways to improve the size of the showers in those guest house rooms, at least on that side of the building. There may be something we can do, and if we can, we will.

We appreciate the fact that you tried out two different rooms, and are just sorry that we were at such high occupancy that we could not get you into a larger room, as we do have spaces where I believe you would have been more comfortable.

For many of our guests, these two rooms, guest house 3-1 and room 301, are just fine, and in fact we have some guests who request them, so we realize it is a matter of personal preference.

Regarding the coffee, it is too bad that you did not enjoy your stay in the guest house. Because those rooms are larger, we do have space to put a coffee maker in each of those rooms. Within the Hawthorne Hotel building, as you have seen, some of the rooms are quite small and there just is not room for coffee makers in them, which is why we offer complimentary coffee service in our lobby. We have found that many guests do appreciate this coffee service because they can get a wide variety of condiments, not normally present in “in-room” coffee service, such a real cream and real milk for their coffee, as well as tea that does not taste like coffee because it is being made in a coffee maker.

Thank you again for writing a balanced review for future travelers. We know we cannot please 100% of our guests with everything we do, and respect your preferences in hotel stays.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We did not stay at the hotel but we did attend their annual Halloween costume party and we had a BLAST!!!
My only complaint is that the judges were annonous so there was no way of knowing if they had seen your costume.
They had a great live band and delicious food all around!

Drink prices were higher than expected which was unfortunate.

People in the city stated it was the best Halloween party to go to.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear 1MissMelanie:

Although you did not have a chance to spend the night with us, thank you for taking the time to respond to your evening at our annual Halloween Ball.

Thank you for telling us where we can improve this event. In our post-event evaluation discussions, the management staff (and the judges) all agreed with and echoed your thoughts about the judging process. Next year we plan on remedying this issue by perhaps having a judging room and allowing those wishing to be judged to display their costumes for the panel. I apologize that you felt left-out this year, but we look forward to seeing you again next year!

We are considering putting together a committee of repeat Halloween Ball guests to help make next year's event even better. If you are interested in learning more about that idea, please feel free to give me a call at 978-744-4080.

Thank you for including the photo! Your costume was fun! I cannot wait to see what you come up with for next year's Halloween Party!

General manager
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I loved my room, double bed was very comfortable, the linens were lovely.
Everyone at the desk was helpful and sweet. I loved my stay there. The tavern was recommended by a sales woman and it was good. There was also off street parking that they let me use for the rest of the afternoon ever after I checked out.

Room Tip: My room was on the corner, a little noise, not much from the door to the ice machine, but two differ...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Jennifer H:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that you received both high quality service as well as perfect accommodations. We greatly appreciate your high praise and I will be certain to share this with the entire Hawthorne staff.

There are ice machines at the low-numbered ends of the corridors on alternating floors, so if something like that is an issue for you, you can always request a room away from that end of the building.

Thank you again for this kind review. We hope to see you again in Salem very soon.

Port Jefferson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

It must be at least 8 consecutive years that we have traveled to Salem to participate in the October Halloween events. Except for 1 year ( when we failed to book in time ) we have always stayed at the Hawthorne. It is without question our first choice. The location places you in the center of everything and the staff ( many of whom we are now very familiar with ) are always polite, professional and very willing to do whatever necessary to make our stay a wonderful experience. Being a pet friendly hotel is an added bonus. Yes, we are booked for October 2013 and have marked our calendars in excited anticipation! Thank you for everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michael C:

Thank you for being such a loyal guest of the Hawthorne. It is such a treat for our staff to see our repeat guests every October. We are already filling up for next October’s Halloween Ball package.

I cannot thank you enough for your continued patronage of the Hotel and our restaurants. We love being located right at the heart of Salem and all of the excitement both Halloween and October bring to the town.

Thank you again for your overwhelmingly kind review. It means so much to the staff to have their hard work recognized here on Trip Advisor. I will be certain to share you comments with them.

We will see you next October! (If not before!!)

Lynn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Hawthorne, our room had a very large sitting area and the king size bed was really comfortable, we walked around Salem before being able to check in , as soon as the room was available we got a call from the front desk to let us know, bathroom very clean, no noise for a very busy weekend in Salem and at the hotel, next year we will stay another night to enjoy weekend, dinner at Nathaniel's was excellent, have also enjoyed the pub for a little more casual dining may times in the past.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Nancy249:

Thank you so very much for the lovely review. We are so happy that you really enjoyed your stay with us, especially our locally-made beds created just for us by Gardner Mattress and made right here in Salem, MA.

We also appreciate your comments about the cleanliness of the bathroom, and the kindness of the staff.

Happy Anniversary to you both, and we look forward to having you visit us again very soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!