“The Hawthorne Hotel has everything you need” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

You added Hawthorne Hotel to your Saves list
Hawthorne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Washington Square West, On Salem Common, Salem, MA 01970   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20 Restaurant Voucher!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hawthorne, New Jersey
“The Hawthorne Hotel has everything you need”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel in mid-October to experience Haunted Happenings and also to have an early celebration getaway for our Halloween wedding anniversary. We arrived to the hotel on a Sunday and departed on a Wednesday. Four full days could be a long time to spend in a small village, but not Salem. There is so much to do - we could have stayed another week!
A very friendly woman named Sarah helped check us in on Sunday. The hotel was very busy with Haunted Happenings and also a late afternoon wedding. Our room was not ready when we arrived about three hours before the 4 PM check in time, but she took my phone # and offered to call if the room was ready early. We didn't get a call, but we were busy walking Salem Common and Essex Street, so we were in no hurry to get to our room anyway.

We also were pleasantly surprised to find several parking spaces in the lot on a Sunday since the town gets so busy on weekends. The lot is for hotel guests only and you need a parking pass, but I was still worried we wouldn't find a spot. But we did and we didn't use the car again until we checked out. The free parking at the hotel is a definite perk - a rare freebie these days.

We had a room on the fifth floor overlooking Hawthorne Blvd. The room was rather small, but this was to be expected for a historic hotel. It was very clean and had everything we needed for a few nights' stay. Shortly after we had settled into the room, we received a call from Sarah at the front desk to make sure everything was in order. I thought that was a very nice touch.

We had dinner on Sunday evening in the Tavern. It was about 6:30 PM so I was expecting it to be busy but it was actually rather quiet, which was nice. We chose the chef's special three-course menu which was an excellent value. You get soup or salad, a choice of one of three entrees, and a dessert for about $15. I think this menu is only offered on certain days, and I'm glad we opted for it. Both of our entrees were delicious. The tavern is so cozy with all of the woodwork and the fireplace. Our server was also pleasant and attentive. A perfect spot for a Sunday evening meal.

For such a busy time of year, the hotel was very quiet for each night that we stayed. This is important for me, because I am a light sleeper. If I had to state any negatives, I would agree with another reviewer who had a complaint about the temperature controls in the room. It was in the 50s during the night, but got up to the 70s during the day. The hotel can either have all rooms on A/C, or all rooms on heat. There is no individual temperature controls. Our last night in the hotel was very warm. We turned the heat off all together and opened the window, but it was still warm. We called down to the front desk and they offered to bring us a fan, which they promptly did. That was helpful, but the room was still quite warm overnight, and we contended with street traffic noise while we tried to sleep. That is really my only negative comment about our stay.

Overall, the Hawthorne Hotel is a wonderful place to stay in Salem. The added bonuses to staying in such a beautiful historic hotel would be the unbeatable location, friendly staff, free parking and the wonderful food and ambiance at the Tavern. It is also great to know that the hotel is dog-friendly. They even have a doggie room service menu. As dog lovers, we'd love to come back maybe in the late spring with our dog for another getaway.

Room Tip: Ask questions about the sizes of the different rooms, and which ones are quieter. Some face an inter...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear LaurenM25:

Thanks so much for the lovely review. We are always pleased when our satisfied guests take the time to write about their experiences for future travelers.

Our “Locals’ Specials” in the Tavern are offered on Sunday through Wednesday nights, and offer the best value in town for a nice dinner – we are so happy you enjoyed them.

We are pleased to be able to offer the largest number of off-street parking spaces (located right on our property) of any hotel in Salem. Certainly our most central location cannot be matched, as everything worth seeing in Salem is literally a three- to five-minute walk from our doors.

Our heating system is dependent on needing to switch back and forth between heat and air conditioning depending on the temperatures outside, and we do know that we cannot make everyone happy during the shoulder season of the year. If you return in the summer or winter I am certain you will be perfectly comfortable, as there are individual controls in each room and they work just fine.

We cannot be happier than when we read that our guests have received exemplary service by one or more of our team members. Because of your review, Sarah will receive a little extra something from us.

Once again, we cannot thank you enough for writing to us, and we look forward to your return.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

For $379 a night, I expected a little more than we received. I realize this is a "historic" hotel, so creaky floors and cracked plaster are expected. However, what isn't expected is a teenage front desk staff that is more interested in checking thier cell phones than providing service to guests. At least three times when I approached the front desk (checking in, asking for a bottle of water, checking out) I had to wait for the staff to either finish conversations with each other or end a cell phone call. Not appropriate and not appreciated. The room itself was nice - we got a suite, and had plenty of room. The room was very hot (it was on the 6th floor), and the climate control system is a relic that barely functioned. Be warned - heating and cooling is not up to date in this hotel. Also note - no coffee maker in the room and you must ask the front desk for your "complimentary" daily bottle of water. Now that Salem has several Inns and hotels to choose from, its doubtful we'll be going back to the Hawthorne.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms will be cooler - upper floor rooms don't cool very well.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Robert E:

I am very sorry that you did not receive the kind of service for which we have become well-known, and I can assure you that lessons have been learned with the team at the front desk.

We do struggle with the heating and air conditioning during the “shoulder” months of the year, because we need air conditioning during the day and heat at night, and sometimes it is a judgment call predicated on the weather forecast as to what we will need to be “on” for a particular time period. I do apologize that you were not comfortable. I can assure you that if you travel in the summer or winter the system functions perfectly well.

If you will contact me by telephone at 978-744-4080 we will make arrangements to compensate you for this unacceptable aspect of your stay. If I am not available, please ask for Lucie Ogeron, our Front Desk Manager.

Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

On 10/20/12 I was welcomed by a friendly hostess and sitted quickly even on this business day. I entertained a couple of visiting clients and we enjoyed drinks and great apps. We only ate at this hotel since we came into town to visit Salem, Ma during Halloween weekend. I fine this hotel has the best location in town and is close to all events. Everythings within walking distance,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear bemby:

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of your experience in our Tavern Restaurant. We know that in the restaurant business we are only as good as the last meal we serve, so we are especially pleased when we see that you had a wonderful experience in the height of our busy season.

We look forward to welcoming you back to dine, or to stay with us, soon.

Arnprior, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had heard that the Hawthorn was a great place to enjoy Salem with the added perk of being a pet friendly hotel. I got the first indication of this upon arrival and was presented with a gift for our dog and a room service menu. The hotel does NOT allow your pet to be left in the room alone but in the pet friendly stores in this town who would?. but they do have access to pet sitters! Again the pets are not allowed in the bar or restaurant but we enjoyed our glass of wine in the sitting area of the lobby with our dog at our side. A big shout out to the staff who answered all my questions (historical etc) providing us with a very positive experience. Rooms were very clean and no pet odors noted.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear EdMurphyArnprior:

I am so glad both you and your furry friend were able to enjoy your stay with us at the Hawthorne.

I am glad you enjoyed all the little extras we provide for pets here at the Hotel. For future reference, you are able to leave well-behaved and quiet pets in your room. When you sign the pet policy at check in, we ask for a cell phone number so if the animal is disruptive we can contact you. We also give you a small card to place on the door so that housekeeping knows not to enter a room with a pet. There certainly are many places you can bring your dog in Salem, however next time feel free to leave them in the room if need be, as long as they behave appropriately so as not to disturb other guests.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review for the Hawthorne. It will be a benefit to future Salem travelers – both two- and four-legged.

Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Old fashioned and perhaps a little tired but nevertheless a nice place to stay. Minor grumbles - the air conditioniong units were just below our windows making it rather noisy - breakfast in the main restaurant was unimpressive and the service poor. Otherwise the staff were very welcoming, providing free tea on our arrival after a tiring journey, the room was comfortable with a fine bed, the position in Salem is ideal, and the Tavern Restaurant provided an excellent evening meal. Free parking in a large car park at the rear.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on second and third floors at the back near the air conditioniong.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear SwindonRobin:

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to let us know how we are doing, from your perspective. We are certainly happy that overall you gave us a good rating, and that you enjoyed many of the attributes of the hotel, especially the welcoming staff, good cup of tea, and a comfortable room with a fine bed.

Unfortunately the one issue that annoys me (as much as I am certain it annoyed you) is to read about the poor service you received at breakfast in Nathaniel’s. We are working hard to hire the right team members for this critical role, but we have not been as successful as we would have like this fall. However, that has not deterred us from continuing our search to find the perfect breakfast servers, as we know that a competent and cheerful person is just what one needs in the morning.

Thank you so much for your time in writing this review. I can assure you we take each comment to heart, and use all of the feedback we receive in order to continue to improve our hotel.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Starting with a positve, the hotel is very well located. Bang in the heart of Salem, you couldn't ask for a much better position. Nice staff, friendly and helpful. Good restaurant/bar for our evening meal, although we had breakfast in a deli at far less expense and excellent quality. Great foyer, where you can drink free coffee and watch the world go by. We had what the hotel terms "European" rooms on the 5th floor, and we knew when we booked that these would not be large. They were a little cramped, but not uncomfotrably so, and the en-suites were small but adequate. My own was fine, but there was peeling paint in the other room's bathroom. I doubt these rooms would be popular with "larger" guests who would struggle with the lack of space, but perhaps it would encourage some dieting... So why, after all those positives, do I write only "OK"? Well, it comes down to the sleep quality. The temperature for late October was unseasonaby high and we were left with a choice of noisy air conditioning on all night or opening windows. The latter was a poor option, as the rooms looked out onto the inner courtyard of the hotel, where every air conditioning outlet in the building seemd to have its intake. Just such a noisy night. I'm a light sleeper and am happy to wear ear plugs in hotels, but even they did not shut out the humming, the throbbing, the rushing air. I tossed and turned most of the night and my companions, both excellent sleepers normally, apparently spent their night opening and shutting windows, turning air conditioming on and off and generally not succeeding in sleeping. A shame, as the hotel has much to offer, but if it can't provide a reasonably quiet night's sleep, it's inevitably going to diappoint.

Room Tip: No room looking over the inner courtyard would be quiet, if our experiece is anything to go by.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear John G:

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay at the historic Hawthorne Hotel. We sincerely appreciate every review, but especially those reviews that highlight the things that we do have control over. We try very hard to make sure our staff members are well-trained, and that they offer as much true hospitality as they can. We are happy to see that in that regard you were happy.

You are correct in your assessment that when you stayed we were in the part of the year that we all struggle with – the spring and the fall. When daytime temperatures fluctuate widely, and the evenings turn cold, it seems that we cannot make everyone happy, although we do try very hard, it is always a guessing game when we try to balance the heat that the building might make with the heat that the building might need, against the cooling that some guests prefer. We do have letters in each room right under the heat controls, where we try to both explain the system, and to encourage guests to call down for individual assistance, but it seems that few people actually call us, leaving us to wonder what else we can do to try to help.

I would be happy to speak with you personally to see what we can do at this point to make it up to you for the poor night’s sleep that you did have. If you can contact me by calling 978-744-4080, or emailing me at info@HawthorneHotel.com and referring to this communication I would be most appreciative.

We would love to welcome you back another time, preferable in the summer or winter when the building happily stays cool or warm, minus the back and forth swings that we encounter in trying to manage the shoulder seasons.

Thank you again for the otherwise lovely comments.

Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just like in real estate it's location, location, location! This hotel is central to everything. Great restaurants, Essex Street shops, the Wharf area, 7 Gables. All within easy walking distance (with kids ranging from 7 to 12). The hotel restaurant is good & the bar Nathaniel's is very good.
2nd year staying here and we'll be back. Warning though, book well in advance!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Chip S:

Though you kept it brief – you touched on many important things in your review. I would like to personally thank you for taking time to respond to us on Trip Advisor.

I am glad you were able to get a full Salem experience during your stay. We are right at the heart of all of the excitement of October. It tends to make it easier for families when everything is a stone’s throw away.

You are certainly right about needing to book in advance. We are already beginning to book up for weekends in October 2013. Hopefully I will see both you and your family back in Salem very soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!