“You won't be disappointed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amelia Payson House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
You added Amelia Payson House to your Saves list
16 Winter Street, Salem, MA 01970   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Southern California
“You won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Cozy room, firm bed, nice proprietors. Just a few steps from Washington Square Park and historic buildings.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

My daughter and I have been to the Amelia Payson House nine times and already have plans to hit our 10th this Fall! Saying we love it is an understatement. The house is a doll house come alive. The rooms have every comfort you can want while still having the charm of years long gone. The proprietors Donald and Ada May truly open their door to you and that feeling is shared by all at breakfast. You are guaranteed to have an amazing meal accompanied by great / friendly conversation. You find yourself torn between wanting to get started on all Salem has to offer while also wanting to stay around the table longer. The location is also perfect. You can throw your keys in your luggage and not need them again until you leave. And when you do leave, you will feel as if you are saying goodbye to friends. And like us, you'll be planning your next trip on the ride home!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed here for a wonderful 8 night trip to both Boston and Salem. I couldn't begin to explain how perfect this place was. Ada and Don were the most helpful and charming people. The room was beautiful, clean, comfortable and romantic. The town was beautiful and full of culture. The B&B itself put us in a perfect location to sightsee in both Boston and Salem. All I can say is you need to stay here if you are traveling to Salem. When I left I felt like I was saying goodbye to a close friend. Ada and Don definitely did all they could to make our stay perfect. Make a stay here a priority in your future travels. I recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

I always dreamed of visiting Salem and staying at a place that was representative of the history and charm that Salem offers. I visited the second week in September. When I arrived, Ada and Don were so helpful, for which I was grateful. They helped me with my luggage, since climbing stairs is difficult for me, and gave me tips on where to eat and sights to see. (Pssst...Try the paella at Finz's.) The breakfast was delightful, as was the conversation with Ada and other guests, and the antique touches in the decor, spacious room, huge bathroom, and air conditioning made it a memorable stay. The only thing that was awkward for me was the old fashioned, 4-legged bath tub; but its charm and everything else made up for it.

Vicki from California

• Liked — The hospitality
  • Disliked — No first floor room for disabled guests and high, claw-footed bathtub a challenge, but I knew that beforehand
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Bend, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

My friend and I celebrated our 40th birthdays in Salem for Halloween. We had an awesome time and our stay at Amelia Payson House was FABULOUS!
Ada and Don are great hosts and the breakfasts were terrific, especially the fresh fruit (pineapple, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) that was served daily as well as the baked egg dish which was out of this world!
We enjoyed gathering for breakfast and filling each other in with what everyone did the day/night before. We met some great people!
Our room was beautiful and comfy. The bathroom was very large and the body/face soaps were wonderful.
We were elated that Don came to pick us up at the train station, as well as taking us back. A little above and beyond gesture that was very much appreciated. Thank you!
If your going to Salem, you won't be disappointed staying at Amelia Payson House.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed at the Amelia Payson House for four nights during the month of October festivities in Salem. I'm so glad I found this B&B! It was a great location - an easy walk to everything, but on a pretty and quiet side street. My room was very large - and the bathroom was huge! Like everyone has said, everything was very clean. The breakfasts were great - waffles, eggs, cereal - plenty of food and good company. I will stay here again the next time I visit Salem.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, November 5, 2008
Julie,
So glad you had a great time in Salem. While Halloween is a very busy time of year, sometimes the real essence of our great city fails to shine through. Looks like you managed to balance the historical and the hysterical...........
Brecon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed for a couple of nights after flying into Boston and wanting somewhere close by. Located in quiet street close to centre and Salem's attractions. Looked after by the owners in their clean and comfortable home. Not disappointed in anyway. Nicely prepared breakfasts and large bedroom etc. Cannot say much more but a happy experience at the start of a two week stay in the USA. Enjoyed Salem - people seemed very friendly and as it was October - the town was a fun place to be with its history, the residents seem to make an effort to decorate their homes and gardens with pumkins and all things halloween

Stayed October 2008

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!